The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Foldable tables (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
We all know spider tables and never had one but they have always appeared wonderful. I just use a restaurant tray stand though (I am cheap.) Looking for their website to see some size comparison for an idea I had I found this website. http://spiderlegs.com/ Now these aside from being impressive could be handy. They fold into looking like wood briefcases. Which is awesome! I also really like these too. Which are cheaper. http://magicshop.magictricks.com/table-c......ase.html In fact this is the cheapest I found online. Maybe it's a knock off I don't know but. Even though the magicians briefcase table has all the space for your props added the wooden table would be sturdier. As you can see the magic tripod briefcase tables wobble. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVeIiB-Ip-g Magicians spider tables I have read have a tendency to blow around in intense winds.

The thing I like about briefcase tables is that your table top and legs stay together. A magicians spider table has you carrying the top separate. The Spiderlegs tables are not only more compact but bigger. From the looks in the Spiderlegs video. Personally I would prefer the Spiderlegs table if it would work for busking. The site does even offer custom sized tables. This is my opinion and for now I like my restaurant tray stand. I have a plexy glass hanging by wires on the side so I don't half to carry it separate and works fine. Despite the height and weight. Opinions on preferences? Just thought this would be helpful to many.
Jeremy Gates
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
A lot of these tables are great in concept.......it's just that most of them are way too heavy to be practical to lug around as a street performer. For festival or gigs where you set up one place only, weight is not a over riding issue, but for the busker who's gotta change pitches at the drop of a hat, it usually is.
And as for expense, if the table works, I'd spend the bucks. IMHO the table with legs shouldn't way over 4 kilos or 10 lbs.

Nelson
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Well the laptop desks might work and they are only 9lbs. Plus coustom builds are available. It is all a matter of opinion though.
Jeremy Gates
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
OK, I'll bring it up. Why even worry about tables in the first place. Remember we BUSK, we go out, do a 10 to 15 minute act and hat the crowd. Why use a table. Jimmy Talksalot and others work out of their pockets.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Some like tables, some don't. I do, so I'll throw in my 2c:

Make or buy a Harbin style folding table. I made mine, it weighs about 5 lbs, looks great, is stable (I modified/tweaked mine from the basic design to include a folding base) and sets up and knocks down in 43 seconds.

That, a folding barstool; my tip bucket and I'm set.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
For many, a table is an "anchor" whether they stand behind it or not. It helps to define the performance space and serves as a focal point (stage as it were).
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 12:36, Paddy wrote:
OK, I'll bring it up. Why even worry about tables in the first place. Remember we BUSK, we go out, do a 10 to 15 minute act and hat the crowd. Why use a table. Jimmy Talksalot and others work out of their pockets.

Yep. Genau, exactly.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
If you perform the cups and balls, you almost gotta have a table.

The problem with portable tables, briefcase, Harbin, Spider, et al., is the fact that they are unstable and/or fragile, and often provide a small, working surface.

The best solution, the best portable table that I've seen and used is made by Max T. Oz. It's essentially a tray jack, hence stable, but also telescopes into itself so that it becomes roughly the size of a briefcase.

Beautiful, small, and lightweight.

Each leg is fully adjustable so in that way it is MORE stable than a conventional trayjack table. No matter the peculiarities of the ground, it will provide you with a level, large surface upon which to work. Even if you want to set it up on a curb-side, with one or two legs in the street, you can. For all that, it weighs maybe 5 or 6 lbs.

It is awesome.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Dave V and Eric Evans said it nicely. I want to eventually be able to get away from a table. For now until I get the hang of things though. Sticking with what I know and the cups is one of them. Which use a table and a table helps me to look more professional than I am. Makes a nice mount for magic show signs on the side too. Spiderlegs look very durable though. I am certainly getting one of the desk top ones. Probably custom build to work for both busking and a desk in my room. I've wanted one but have limited space. Ekuth I have thought of using a folding stool. Like they sell at Wall Mart. Would make a great platform to stand on or a place to rest as I eat lunch. Is this how you use yours? Eric Evans I cannot find this table through my search engine. Could you add a picture or link to one. Sounds very nice!
Jeremy Gates
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Sorry J.G., I don't. I do know that he's a member here and I've seen footage of him on youtube with his table.
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
Here's another one of him and his rig.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4h7iHC6y_Wc/Tl......1039.JPG

I was lucky enough to see him a couple years ago while he was street performing in Bremen, Germany. In a word, it was truly 'AWESOME'.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
I love his sign. Way cool.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
J.G.: That's exactly the one I use, the black folding stool from Wally World. Think it costs about $11 if I remember correctly.

I use it for two purposes: To get my tip bucket up off the ground and in plain view (after covering the stool with a nice cloth) and to sit on inbetween shows or when I'm twisting balloons.

I was leery of the Harbin style tables myself because of the stability issue, but I'm a DIY guy and solved it by adding a fourth folding panel that acts as a base; it also has the handle slot and I simply run two bungee cords from the handle in the base to the handle slots in the "front" and it's steady as a rock. I tapered the base to a triangle type shape so that I wouldn't be stepping on it while I worked. I also put in a small folding shelf for my props as well, and I'm loving it.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

If I knew anything about building Harbin tables and had the money I would so build one. Right now I am getting a toolchest from a pawn shop for my props I have in different boxes all over my floor. Once I have it there will be little to scater. Amongst a few new things for routines. I thought of a great other table to build. I have a pocket chair which may be able to be built on a larger scale to be the equivalant of a restaurant tray stand style table. Only when folded becomes a half of it's full hight.
Jeremy Gates
Mormo Zine
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of Mormo Zine
The book Magic in 4 Acts by Bill Severn has info on how to build a portable magic table. My bro Magic Matt built one and loves it!

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a......59_n.jpg
Ours the magic, Ours the power!

See Mormo's Guide To Psychic Self Defense by clicking here.
Max T. Oz
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Max T. Oz
G'day lads. I'll pipe in here and add my humble 2 cents worth.
Firstly, Thank you Eric for the nice table comments.

The table I use, while rather normal in appearance, was designed and built by myself out of necessity while travelling around this planet street performing. Originally I had built myself a lovely trayjack style table, pretty much the same as Celini's/Gazzo's style. It was beautiful but.....

If you're on the road, taking public transit, it was a real pain. I was on my way to an Italian fest one day, boarding an overcrowded bus on a blazing hot day, trying to squeeze in with my backpack and this !@#$%$%&* table. I swore that moment I would come up with a better design. Thus was born my table Smile

The table is to my parameters, and measures 19" X 32" and is adjustable heightwise. I usually have it slanted towards the audience. The whole thing folds up nicely and is lite which makes it very practical for travelling. I've made a few over the years and they are being used by dedicated buskers. Don't have any spares up for grabs at the moment and probably won't make any more til perhaps later this year.
I don't have a proper picture on file but you can get a look at it from this pic of myself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47935191@N0......tostream

Like I said, it's nothing out of the ordinary in appearance, it's just that it folds up nicely and is very lite. Speaking of size, check out this table. It's minimal and but he seems to make it work very well. If you haven't guessed, it's Roland from TWMF doing some excellent street magic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUbLq5ox8......3ov7mNdU

Having said all of this.......I went to Europe this year and chose to go without a table. Worked strictly from a bag/pack. This changes things immensely but I was moving around a lot and wanted the freedom to pitch at the drop of a hat, which I did. When you think about it, the cups and balls requires a friggin' pile of gear. There's the table, the pouch, the balls, the loads, the hat, the cups, the wand. And it seemed every city I stopped, someone was doing it. :-(

At the moment I have a table that quite honestly, I think will blow everyone away. It will totally changes everyones perception of table magic. You'll have to wait about 3 months before I show it as if all goes well it'll be on television, and I'll post the link for those who don't see it. It's a buskers delight. Smile
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Last night I had many ideas go through my head. Then it occoured to me a very simple table may work. Get a table top and on one side on each corner add spots to screw table legs. Probably aluminum that would break into two sections and screw together. When dismatled there would be eight leg peices and each no bigger than the table top. They could fit in a bag and the unit would transport very simply.
Jeremy Gates
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
@JG: That's why I initially went with the photo tripod route- portability and flexibility for uneven surfaces. I solved the stability by running bungee cords from the tripod cross members to eye hooks put on the underside of my table top. The only reason I've abandoned it in favor of the Harbin style is set-up time. It was taking me WAY too long to get set up and the table(s) were the biggest part of it- averaging 3-4 mins to set up my side table and 5-6 for my main table (much heavier for some custom things I do with BA). Added together, that's almost 10 mins JUST FOR THE TABLES. Ugh.

The Harbin goes up and comes down in under 50 seconds flat. I'm now up and running in under the time it took to set up the main table!

Also, keep in mind that the more pieces you have to manage, the higher the likelyhood that something will go missing, break, ect...

The more I perform, the more I'm coming to realize how important the KISS principle is.
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
I use an aluminum keyboard stand, with a lightweight top with outdoor carpet covering it, for Gazzo cups and balls. Which I have used most lately. I carry all of the goodies, couple of decks of cards, cups, rope for circle show definitin, and final loads in my Gazzo pouch. More work here, as there is less show. After drawing the edge, with paperclipped by sankey.. I use the audience yelling at me as they guard the "prediction", and I reach for it to test them. This builds even more. Then I do the cups and balls. And frankly, it is work to put the necessary energy and effort into it. But it is definitely worth it in the end. The hats are very good.

But some days, I use the self contained table I created from a portable voting booth. That one carries, cards, 6 regular decks plus a dragon fanning deck, 10 inch rings, coloring books, and color changing knives, and chain for fast and loose. I open the case, take out the legs which are similar to tent poles but bigger, and go into bottom, a drape covers the legs, and there is a shelf that works great for tossing an effect after performing to get it our of sight. This is my lazy routine. When I don't feel I have teh energy for a good cups and balls routine. Easy to carry, convenient, easy to work, but really not a killer. The crowds seem smaller, and they tips are less.

But maybe it is just me, expecting less.

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Foldable tables (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL