The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Music for Dove Act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2220 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
What type of music do you use for your dove act? Can you share the title and artist?

Currently, I am using Soul Bossa Nova from the soundtrack of Austin Powers. But I find the tempo too fast at times.

Sometimes, I use techno, but the older audience find it too noisy.

I use classical for an older audience. How I wish I could compose my own but I'm not musically inclined. Just magically.

How about you guys?
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
xxxRoyxxx
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of xxxRoyxxx
I think you can never fail with classical music, regardless of who you're performing for. That's why it's "classical" (classic), if you know what I mean...I also like Yanni, although the problem of royalties arises here...
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2220 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I agree with you on classical music. That also depends on the clothes you wear. Definitely, tail coats would be best for this type of music.
What kind of classical music is best for a dove act? Any title or artist?
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
I use the hip hop/dance/rave EJay.. its a virtual music maker.. basically you take clips and little sound bits and put them together to make a song.. once good at it you can make songs for your whole act.. and they are 100% yours.. no one owns the rights to them.. I'm pretty sure anyway.. the only risk you run is having the song stolen by someone that likes it and there is nothing you can do about it. Check it out .. if you have a fast enough computer you can go to a search engine, find ejay.. and download the demo to check it out.. its well worth it.. if anyone would like I will e-mail you a song that I have composed so you can get a taste of what its like.

Justin David
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4984 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I think many times we, as dove workers, spend too much time worrying about what kind of music to use. I firmly believe that if you asked any audience after a performance what they thought about the music, most of them wouldn't have an opinion other than it was fine or it was OK. The music isn't what makes the act but how you perform. On the other hand, watching Lance Burton's act, you would expect a totally classical approach.
I use music to keep me at the right speed during my performance. For example, my opening is done to the big band song "begin the beguinne". After the opening, I slow down with "It was fascination" while doing my manipulation segment and pick up the pace again to conclude with "the twist". Each segment has a dove routine.
I think the key is to develope your act, then pick background music that fits your style and speed of performance. Too many dove workers, and other magicians I suspect, record music and then try to make their act fit it. It doesn't always work that way.
Where the magic begins
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1027 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Dve has got to be one of the most knowledgable magician i have ever heard speak in my life. Every thing he says is soo true and has years and years of experience to back it up. i am now going to wait till i have my act together to find a song..

thanks again Dave,

DJ
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
I think that if you have a lot of technical skill, then you don't need to worry much about the music...

However, I have found that music does make a huge difference in any act. I frequently get people coming up to me after a show, commenting about the music, and how they liked it. In my case I don't do many technically demanding things in my act, so I need music to make it seem stronger. I think anyone who has seen be would agree. Technically, I suck... but it's entertaining because of the music. (This is just from my experience)

A friend of mine just got Kaza, a music program online, where you pay a monthly fee, and download all the music you want. Possibly this could work for you?

Hope this can help a little.

Dave
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4984 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Don't get me wrong, I think music is important and often creates the mood, I was just pointing out that there really isn't any one type of music for a particular act.

And DJ, I don't really have that many years under my belt. LOL.
Where the magic begins
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Kazaa is free actually.. but the downloading of music is in fact illegal.. and the downloaded of movies.. software.. images.. etc.. is also.. Same program that the 12 y/o girl that just got sued uses.

Just some thought =P

Justin

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
879 Posts

Profile of sperris
I'd stay away from techno and dance/trance music. It is really really really really repetitive. Try to find something that FITS your act, and use more than one piece and mix them together. Don't just use a song because you think its cool, use one that you can use that will be able to be enjoyed by everyone. I also recommend staying away from all the chart topping music today, because it changes sooo much sooo often that by the time you've done two shows, nobody thinks its cool anymore. I'd also stay away from music with too much voal content. This may also really apply to techno music because the voice changes they do in that stuff can be so obnoxious sometimes. Remeber Ifel 65 (sp?) and that "I'm Blue" song? I don't know about you but I'd rather chew broken glass than listen to the vocals in that song. Just my opinion...

Sperris Smile
DANSPERRY.COM
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2220 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
My frustration is that I envy those magicians who can mix sound effects timed to their act together with their music. How I wish I could make my own. I don't know what software to use. Most of my music is now in my MusicMatch Jukebox program.
Music does make a difference in the dove act. Smile Smile
sperris
View Profile
Special user
879 Posts

Profile of sperris
An excellent program and I use to edit my music is Cool Edit Pro, but I believe it may have a different name now. Adobe bought them out a few months ago. I have several cued sound effects tied into my music, nothing cartoonish, just punches in my music I've added. It just comes with being able to subconsiously forget what you're doing and go with your act. Once you have it down to the point of it being boring is when it really starts to look amazing, because you don't have to worry about what comes next, etc. you can just relax and knock em' dead.

Sperris Smile
DANSPERRY.COM
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
There is a setup where you can pay an annual fee for kazaa and get all the music you want. It is a great source for music.
Zaubern Smile
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Hmm really?.. but it wouldn't be popular music.. it would be underground music that they offer no?

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
I agree that good music is important. I go to the library and grab hanfdfulls of CDs to play in order to find something that I really think will woork well. If you like classical, try Hooked On Classics Vol 1&2 and go from there. I personally like something a little more modern and try to find something with a techno flair but that is not to overly obnoxious. This is important as older audiences won't appreciate this type of music.
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Very good statement KeirRoyale.. very accurate..

Justin David

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Michael Bourada
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Michael Bourada
Adding music to the dove act is good. It definetely has to fit your act. A good program which I use is called Audacity, which is easily found on the net. Just don't get something that is repititive, it just gets annoying, you want the cues and the productions of doves to be a surprise.
Experience the Magic.
www.michaelbourada.com
sperris
View Profile
Special user
879 Posts

Profile of sperris
Michael...who wrote the text for your web site, many places sound very famialure to what I have on mine. Please contact me asap, I'd like to see your dove act some time that "has been hailed as an act with class, originality, and upbeat style..."
>>>forgot to mention, when you are finished with your music I really recommend saving the file to your computer and also to burn it on a mini disk, I've been using MD for the past three years and I've still got the same disk. They are awesome, they never scratch, are like impossible to break, and never skip either. They're worth the investiment. Plus if you ever use a showtech or virtual soundman they connect easily and flawlessly!

sperris
http://www.dansperry.com
DANSPERRY.COM
Michael Bourada
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Michael Bourada
Hi Dan,

Never heard of you til lately, and I am new to the net and never seen anything about you or your site, I didn't write my site, I gave him my info and and my designer did the rest. My videos should be up soon. So you can see my act then. As for your quotes I have no idea as to what you are talking about, I will look at your site when I get the chance.
Experience the Magic.
www.michaelbourada.com
sperris
View Profile
Special user
879 Posts

Profile of sperris
Who does your web design, I'm a web designer myself and it says that your name was registered by you and your technical and administrative contact is you too, maybe I can talk to the person who designed your site if you can put me in contact with them.

sperris
DANSPERRY.COM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Music for Dove Act (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL