The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Moral of Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1954 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Recently I found so many young magicians released material on the markets. Some are good, some are bad.

However, most of them pay no respect to the sources of inspiration and original creators. I saw several moves which are invented before and what those young magicians added are really little. But since most of the people don't read or learnt much now, when they saw the trailers and think the moves are impressive, they bought them. This indeed helps and encourages those young magicians to release more materials which belong to others.

Recently I saw a 'popular' move which is indeed a similar move found in 'By Force Unseen'. This shocks me when I heard NOTHING in the video that the move is credited. And there are other young magicians doing the same.

Not only am I disappointed by those people, but also by the publishers which do nothing to stop this bad behaviors.

What's your take?

Alex Hui
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Hi Alex,

While I do agree with you I would also add that such behavior is not confined to the younger dudes. Some seasoned pros and even a couple of acknowledged masters have been less than scrupulous about crediting. If you have Garcia's Million Dollar Card Secrets have a look at how many effects Garcia does NOT credit. I will not mention his name but there is a V.I.P. here that published an effect in Linking Ring that IS Michael Close's "Pink Floyd" but with NO credit. Sankey's Astral Projection does NOT credit Hardin for the original effect in The Jinx called "The King's Cards." Master Hideo Kato has railed about this lack of crediting and respect for history and I admire his courageous voice.

So, for the young guys who unlike you and I have not read many books for instance, we can take action to correct these flaws such as:

Writing the PUBLISHER of the book, calling attention to the theft on YouTube, contacting the "creator" and explaining his/her error, and spreading the word to halt sales of the product

For the pros/informed writers I believe that the power of reviews as well as informed discussion on fora such as The Café and Genii would be helpful.

Some publishers unfortunately do not care about anything except the bottom line. The most effective way to reach these publishers is IMHO to simply boycott everything they publish until the problem is addressed. That said my friend, it would take a concerted effort by the community to actively combat such wrongs and I ask whether there is a sufficient number of people who actually care. I loathe the gloom and doom of my post but theft has proliferated in magic. Hopefully with the instant nature of internet such theft can be minimized.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Moral of Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL