We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » SOPA, and you thoughts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5041 Posts

Profile of landmark
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
So, what if the government forced Internet providers to keep records of a year and a half of your Internet activity/history, including your mane, address,, banking info, credit card numbers, etc, and pretty much all the government has to do to get this info is ask?

Just wondering where people would stand on such a thing?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
My bigger concern is that they will shut off my power.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 08:54, gdw wrote:
So, what if the government forced Internet providers to keep records of a year and a half of your Internet activity/history, including your mane, address,, banking info, credit card numbers, etc, and pretty much all the government has to do to get this info is ask?

Just wondering where people would stand on such a thing?

I would think that you would have no problem with that. After all, once you have given that information to them, it is no longer yours and they can do with it what they like. That is the same argument you have used to say that there is no "right" to possession of intangible or intellectual property. What are names, banking numbers, etc., if not intangible property?

Also, they could photocopy that information on their own paper (as you suggested in the other thread) and since that paper was theirs to begin with, they could now do whatever they please with it.

Those are the exact same arguments you have used in the other thread.

Why don't they apply here?
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Bob, you are absolutely right, excepted that those were NOT the conditions I agreed to when setting up my Internet provider. That's kind of the entire point of a contract Bob, to establish these conditions in the first place. Also, that's not even the issue being questioned. It's the matter of a third party, the state in this case, stepping in and mandating it.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'd rather live under copyright law as an implicit default contract than have to actually review and sign a contract every time I bought a book. Of course, I buy a lot of books.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 12:53, gdw wrote:
Bob, you are absolutely right, excepted that those were NOT the conditions I agreed to when setting up my Internet provider.

You actually read all of the terms & conditions?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Probably not, and if those things WERE allowed for in the terms and conditions, then it's my own fault.

Any who, so how about the ACTUAL question? What would YOU think of such a law?

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 08:54, gdw wrote:

My mane?

They can keep my mane as I can grow a new one 'cause I'm a lion.

And as Brad Pitt so aptly put it, there are no pacts between lions and men. Smile

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 13:36, gdw wrote:
Any who, so how about the ACTUAL question? What would YOU think of such a law?

I'll take the 5th, as I'm sure there's a catch and I don't want my answer spun into an un-de-tangle-able mess that I have to spend the next month trying to sort out.
I reserve the right to contribute one-liners as the mood strikes.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I, too, would rather limit my participation to actual laws and policies rather than "what ifs."
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
No catch, just wondering what people would think of such a law being passed in america. I ask because there is one they are pushing right now that apparently does make these demands of ISPs. At least according to several news outlets, representatives, lawyers, ect.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-200849......Tk3vompg

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I have a feeling that the proposal, as outlined in the article, would not pass constitutional muster.

The Supreme Court, conservative as they may be, just ruled this past week that police could not attach GPS monitors to cars of those suspected of criminal activity without court approval. I think the same right to privacy rationale would prevail in a case brought challenging the proposed legislation you cited.

Good thoughts,

Bob
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Actually that is not quite what they ruled. They said it constitutes a search, but would not say if it was reasonable or not.

http://volokh.com/2012/01/23/what-jones-does-not-hold/

They also said that it depends on how long they are tracking you for. However they would not say at what point it is long enough to require a warrant.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/01/scotus-gps-ruling/

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Instead of the 4th, how about the 5th?

Looks like they may be able to compel you to decrypt your computer for them.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-573643......laptops/

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
What else did you expect when using something Al Gore invented?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5041 Posts

Profile of landmark
The correct answer is, they will do whatever they like, law or no law, and they will (perhaps) justify it later.
They can murder you without the slightest accountability, you really think that any law is going to stop them from getting your personal info from an ISP? Please, we're all grown-ups here, aren't we?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-01-24 21:25, tommy wrote:
What else did you expect when using something Al Gore invented?

In case you didn't know, that tired meme about Al Gore claiming to have invented the Internet isn't exactly true. In fact, when one looks at what he said IN CONTEXT, the claim is clearly false.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

But don't let facts get in the way.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Though sopa and pipa are, for the moment, old news now, I thought I would post this, as it is an interesting read, at least for the contextual history of hollywood.

http://static.thepiratebay.org/legal/sopa.txt

Live long the trash pipe.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » SOPA, and you thoughts (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL