The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favourite mentalists of all time (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
*waits for sudden influx of others to now start mentioning dunninger*

Dunninger!

I tell you what is unsettling, seeing mr berglas for the first time, in real life... and that he's still a suave looking gentleman too... AND! the very first thing my dad did when he came out of the navy, was to grab my mum and take her to the palladium to see him perform...
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes, I'd certainly put Fogel right up there with Dunninger.
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
It is difficult to add old time mentalist. If I did not see them perform or read a great deal of thier writtings...then it is difficult to grade them so to speak. I do appreciate Dunninger but I have not seen him on video or read enough about him.

I did enjoy the Fogel book...but it did not make a big enough impact on me to include him in my list. Sometimes a person will be added because of their personal impact on you the grader...and has nothing to do with their overall impact to the art.

I have also seen and met a couple of mentalists that were taken off my list once I saw them in person. Either for attitude of for how they treated those around them.

There are so many mentalists out there that I am surprised I keep seeing the same names over and over...I have a feeling that most in the Café have simply not seen or been exposed to many mentalists...so they just name the same 7 or so.

I would say that Cassidy's writings have also had an impact on me. I did not list him because, I don't know that I have been that imfluenced by him. However, I do have some friends that would put BOB on the top of thier list. I do, however, enjoy reading his books.

I guess I should have also added Annemann. His writings were a huge influence early on.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
I'm so pleased that you cleared up the book conspiracy - that was really bugging me.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Joe Atmore did an excellent reconstruction of a typical Dunninger show. He toured the stage show for a while & then released it on DVD with a little help along the way with the likes of Gerry McCambridge.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Bullet catching with Fogel here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1m7Nurm2lQ
I've asked to be banned
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
This is awesome guys...thanks for the link and information. It is always fun to be able to see some of the old greats.
Joe Atmore
View Profile
Elite user
Joe Atmore
419 Posts

Profile of Joe Atmore
Thanks innercirclewannabe! I actually just completed a run of the show in San Francisco.

Those interested in Dunninger and his work, this year, I will be releasing a book covering the vast majority of his television work. It is kind of a follow on to Dunninger's Brain Busters, but much more comprehensive - more history, photos and much more insight into his performances. With luck, it will also include a dvd of certain shows that I have the rights to. Again, leaders in the mentalism world are assisting me in the project like in the original Brain Busters. The title is "Dunninger Knows".

No need to guess who I think is the greatest!!!
Best Thoughts,

Joe Atmore
International Artists Consultant Uri Geller's Phenomenon TV Series;
PEA Bob Haines Memorial Award;
Dunninger Show Recreation;
Author of Dunninger Knows and Dunninger's Brain Busters

JosephAtmore.com
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-01-11 11:24, John Raff M wrote:
Anyone here like Docc Hilford? Love his Q and A act.

Does he market his Q and A act?

Clarke
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
907 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Quote:

The Paul you are addressing actually has his name in the book several times which is actually quite odd considering he either wasn't born when it was written or he was a very young child. It must be a time machine or something.

I have no idea what you are talking about. What do you think I am? A Mi.....

uh..nevermind.
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Gone: Dunninger, Gone Influential: Annemann

Here: Derren

Too many honorable mentions to list.

Comp
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
Banachek, Larry Becker, and Max Maven in that order
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Jesse Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jesse Lewis
My favoruite to read about even though there is little material is Cagliostro, currently performing kreskin, they are emy favorites because of the things they achieved in their own times and kreskin because he is still alive and performing.
Learn how to build a bigger business at www.showbizsuccesssecrets.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
The Amazing Criswell predicted the JFK Assasination!
Eric Hanussen predicted the burning of the Reichstagg and the rise of Hitler.
Uri Gellar... The Man Who Really Fooled The Scientists!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-01-13 15:21, Psychic Samurai wrote:
The Amazing Criswell predicted the JFK Assasination!

Criswell is certainly near the top of my list of all time greats, as are Hanussen and Geller. But not really for the reasons you cite.

Note that Criswell also predicted that the world would end on August 18, 1999 but said it didn't matter because he wouldn't be around to see it. Smile
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Bob:

Criswell was Dave's cousin, let him have some family pride. Smile

The OP said living, but for all time, Criswell makes my list too.

Tony
solarzar
View Profile
Regular user
Solarzar
109 Posts

Profile of solarzar
In alphabetical order my favorites by category:

Living Mentalists: Cassidy, Kreskin, Osterlind, John Riggs

Pathfinder: Dunninger

Foundational Creator: Annemann

Undeclared mentalists (since they prefer to influence): Banachek, Derren Brown

Always worth studying: Corinda, Fogel, Burling Hull, Koran, William W, Larsen, Robert Nelson, and anything by Richard Webster

For me this is similar to the topic about the 'bible' for mentalism or hypnosis. There are so many foundational works by many wonderful artists that it becomes a choice of style.

Once we get past our initial preference and broaden our study into more of the material there is such a wealth of thought that I find it impossible to say there are only three, or my top three because some of it is contextual.

For instance, my favorite Mental Epic routine is any by Richard Osterlind. My favorite reading routine is still Fourth Dimensional Telepahty by Bob Cassidy. My favorite all time performer is Derren Brown. My favorite 'mentalist/mystery performer' is Dunninger, his personality seemed to say I can receive thoughts. Burling Hull and Robert Nelson seemed to favor volume, it takes time to sift through the material to find the gold within; and Annemann's Jinx is the worth studying to understand mentalism. And naturally my reading work was created by Richard Webster through his many books about building a reading business and enhanced by studying the reading and mentalims approach of John Riggs. None of these are limitations for any of the people listed, only examples.

I could go on about each but my point really was that for me, each of the names listed are one of the masters of mentalism for me. For me each is a master in context and I should emulate pieces from each but never all from any.

So my list has many but each represent the shoulders on which I stand.

Just my thoughts, Solarzar
Solarzar
The Magic is within us!
www.Magic4Life.com
www.Solarzar.net
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
MARTIN GARDNER released the majority of Psycological Forces that are popular today back in the 50's.. he will replace Uri on my passed over list.
Jim Callahan and Tony Eye have helped and inspired me greatly... so they are on the top of my living list.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Wow, thanks Dave. You and Jim have become my personal heroes.
solarzar
View Profile
Regular user
Solarzar
109 Posts

Profile of solarzar
I forgot to add the genius of Max Maven, who presents a powerful, artistic play.

Just my thoughts, Solarzar
Solarzar
The Magic is within us!
www.Magic4Life.com
www.Solarzar.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favourite mentalists of all time (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL