The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Johnson C/S/B Mexican Centavo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Sandusky, OH
922 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I'm relatively new to the world of coin magic, and just purchased my first C/S/B set (Johnson) a few months ago. Recently, I decided to order an additional Mexican Centavo from Penguin to allow me to do some additional things with my coin work. I was very surprised when I received the extra centavo (which was really cheap, btw), that it was very high quality.

The thing that surprised me is how beat up the centavo was that came with the Johnson set. I never realized it until I got this new coin. Attached is a photo of both coins: the Johnson centavo is on the left and the Penguin extra is on the right (you cannot tell from this photo, but there is a big difference in the thickness as well; the Johnson coin is much more worn down).

I wanted to give you coin workers a heads up that if you want to upgrade your Johnson centavo, Penguin has very inexpensive extras which are much better than the one included in the C/S/B set (and also match the C/S coin much better).

- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.psychiccpa.com
caubeck
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of caubeck
There's a shortage of Mexican centavos. Even so my Johnson set, bought last month from an online supplier in Spain, contains a good one.
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
786 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
Aren't they doing away with mexican centavos and going to the coins that were on Todd Lassens Blog?
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Sandusky, OH
922 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Quote:
On 2012-01-11 12:19, caubeck wrote:
There's a shortage of Mexican centavos. Even so my Johnson set, bought last month from an online supplier in Spain, contains a good one.

So maybe I just got a bad one and it's not a prevailing issue. If there is a shortage, however, that's all the more reason to scarf up a good one from Penguin while the price is still low!
www.psychiccpa.com
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
786 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
Quote:
On 2012-01-11 12:59, Dr. JK wrote:
Quote:

So maybe I just got a bad one and it's not a prevailing issue. If there is a shortage, however, that's all the more reason to scarf up a good one from Penguin while the price is still low!

Agreed! Magic warehouse has them cheap too...
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Sandusky, OH
922 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Quote:
On 2012-01-11 13:13, Trooper11040 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-11 12:59, Dr. JK wrote:
Quote:

Agreed! Magic warehouse has them cheap too...

Ah! Good to know. I've shopped from them before as well, but just never purchased a centavo from them. Thanks for letting us know!
www.psychiccpa.com
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Also, maybe the new coin is not actually a Mexican coin but a reproduction, however penguin would say that, even so the coin is not legal tender any more as far as I know
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Your local coin dealer likely has some in a box with a bunch of other old/foreign coins for the cheapest price around. May want to try there, first.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
brian314
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
112 Posts

Profile of brian314
The Penguin web site states the 20 Centavo coins are replicas
gary31525
View Profile
Regular user
Building a fence with
158 Posts

Profile of gary31525
The Centavos I got from Johnson about a year or two ago were slightly dull, but not beat up at all. I got three in total. I put a shine on them and viola, they were perfect Smile I got all my Centavos from Johnson.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7061 Posts

Profile of bowers
That coin shouldn't have ever left johnsons factory.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5861 Posts

Profile of motown
That's a very beat up coin. Did you consider contacting Johnson?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
AnthonyJD
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island , N.Y.
338 Posts

Profile of AnthonyJD
I spoke to Sam at Johnson a while back,maybe August or Sept. and he told me finding decent "real" Centavos is very difficult. But I am sure they will help you Kathy is great. Good luck
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
769 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
I have recieved a hong kong set from johnson one time and you can tell some one scratched the black part of the coin and covered it with magic marker. It was one out of 10 that I bought but still the quality control should have picked it up. Beside's that I have been lucky with most other johnson gaffs in the past, I think its more the guys like lassen and other quality gaff makers that keep a better eye on what goes out the door.
Close up coin magic.

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5308 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Old thread but it's relevant, so I decided to resurrect it to mention this.

My recently purchased Johnson Two Copper One Silver set uses replica Mexican 20 Centavo coins. It states "Copia Centavo" on the reverse side and... the eagle is facing the wrong way! By that I mean the eagle is facing the opposite way from real 20 centavo coins I have in other sets. Also, it is much lighter than a real 20 centavo coin and has a "plastic" feel to it, though I don't think it is actually plastic.

What makes this a bummer is that I was practicing a routine where I use an additional pair of "foreign" coins - meaning the English Penny and 20 Centavo coin - and after allowing the real coins to be examined the replica centavo stuck out like a sore thumb! Hopefully only to me, but I couldn't help but to feel a bit self-conscious after noticing it myself. Afterward I figured I was stuck because I couldn't purchase a matching replica anywhere but then I discovered that Johnson actually sells them for $3.50 each.

I have also noticed that a couple of my Lassen clad sets have "special" copies of coins in place of real coins. They actually look great but they don't look like their real counterparts, and I don't think I can purchase additional copies. Which means that I am limited in how I can use these coin sets too.

This replacing of real coins with specially manufactured copies in gaffed coin sets is a PITA in my opinion. Can't match up any real coins with them thus limiting a lot of customizing of routines using these sets. I guess I am going to have to ask in advance if gaffed coin sets contain all real coins or replicas before buying from now on. Bummer!

Jim
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2020 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2014, J-Mac wrote:
This replacing of real coins with specially manufactured copies in gaffed coin sets is a PITA in my opinion. Can't match up any real coins with them thus limiting a lot of customizing of routines using these sets. I guess I am going to have to ask in advance if gaffed coin sets contain all real coins or replicas before buying from now on. Bummer!
Jim

I hear you, but is it really all that different than any coin effects that use "Chinese" coins? None are genuine, and just about every gaff makers' look different.
Then there's the issue of changes to common minted coins... The state quarters, new penny backs, etc that limit your ability to borrow coins from your spectators.
I'm coming around to agreement with the idea that going with a custom gaff maker is the CHEAPER way to go. Pick out the coins you want to use, collect/find a decent stash/reserve of them, and as funds permit, build out your set - each new addition guaranteed to match and work with your other coins, AND all top quality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Johnson C/S/B Mexican Centavo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL