The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Approaching a Table? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
But what if they request it as they do with me? Do you not give the client what they want?
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-05-01 12:51, Christopher Lyle wrote:
But what if they request it as they do with me? Do you not give the client what they want?

Zing - right over your head - you just missed the point. Perhaps you should ask Mark Lewis or Danny Doyle or if he doesn't know have Danny Doyle ask Mark Lewis.

I remember being at one of Jay Marshall's Christmas Parties. And at these parties many magicians like to get up and do something. So often Jay will MC a show. As I remember this year he had his grand kids sitting in the front row. A young guy about 30 got up and did the razer blades and fire eating. This material is fine for a over 21 audience in a comedy club - however in front of a mixed audience, well?

After he finished Jay Marshall said a few words and I am glad I am not that guy.

As I said above it is easy for me to entertain the kid/family show market and restaurant audiences without using fire magic or side show stunts to do so.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-05-01 13:35, bishthemagish wrote:

This material is fine for a over 21 audience in a comedy club - however in front of a mixed audience, well?

Says who? You? Society? BS!

I offer many different shows and my client picks the one that they fell is best for their event and audience...see here: http://christopherlyle.com/booking.html

If they pick Concentrated Insanity, then that's the show I perform. I'm not a "children's entertainer." I'm a family entertainer...there's a big difference. I would never just show up and start doing fire or razor blades w/o the client knowing about it. That is stupid. But if they select that show, then that's what I'm performing. I'm not a babysitter...I'm an entertainer there to do a job.

Putting this back in the restaurant, there's nothing wrong with a quick burst of flames from a fire wallet. The flambe' menu selections have far more fire then what comes out of my wallet. It's not a sideshow bit, it's all good fun.

Posted: May 1, 2012 2:40pm
http://weeklymagicfailure.blogspot.com/2010/12/pc-bs.html
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Christopher,
I agree 100% with your rant!!!

I grew up watching the Three Stooges....to this day, I've never poked anyone in the eye; I've never pushed someone in a vat of hot tar; I've never pressed a hot iron to the seat of anyone's pants. I will, however, admit to having a pie fight. But, I was 25 at the time.

I, also, grew up watching cartoons. Sadly, I've yet to drop an anvil on anyone's head.

Kids today encounter 1000% more violence and stupid stunts on TV and video games than anything a magician could expose them to.
patrick
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I know you meant 100%.

Posted: May 1, 2012 3:56pm
Let me talk about the rant. Well said. Do your own show and let others worry about themselves.

I remember a kid in the 70s who tried to stop a car like the Six Million Dollar Man. He saw it in TV. Was it Lee majors fault?

Same with rock music. If you are pushed over the edge by something Ozzy Osborne has to say, you were standing too close to begin with.

The parent spends more time with the children. Maybe parenting them is in order?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
And yet I haven't read anything that says why fire magic and side show stunts are even needed in a magic show. I guess I am alone when I say that my personality is first and the tricks are secondary. I remember once I left my close up case in the back of my wife's car - she left for the day. I got a call to do a show and had no magic show.

I went out to the Wal-Mart got a bunch of stuff to use - and then went out and did this show. The audience loved it and it just proves my opinion that the magic is in the magician not the props.

I remember talking to Billy McComb about this at my week at the castle. He told me a story about how he used to close his show with producing a live chicken. He got a call to do a show and he could not deliver the chicken trick "the agent said so what were booking you not a chicken". He went out and performed the gig and did fine without the chicken.

And I still find it easy to entertain the family audience (with kids in it) without using fire and other side show stunts.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-05-01 16:18, bishthemagish wrote:
I guess I am alone when I say that my personality is first and the tricks are secondary.

WOW! If you rate your personality above your tricks, then your magic must really suck!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-05-01 16:18, bishthemagish wrote:
I guess I am alone when I say that my personality is first and the tricks are secondary.

Quote:
On 2012-05-01 16:25, Christopher Lyle wrote:
WOW! If you rate your personality above your tricks, then your magic must really suck!

Here is me performing at the magic castle...

http://www.mrhypnotist.org/video/glennbishopchopcup.wmv

http://www.mrhypnotist.org/video/glennbishopcoinstoglass.wmv

http://www.mrhypnotist.org/video/shellgameglennbishops.wmv

http://www.mrhypnotist.org/video/glennbishopcastle.wmv

No fire magic or side show stunts needed...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Like I said...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-05-01 16:31, bishthemagish wrote:
Here is me performing at the magic castle...

No fire magic or side show stunts needed...

I believe that I've seen performers in the Palace (a better analogy to Chris' stand-up show than the Close-Up Gallery) who have included fire in their effects. Are you advocating that they, too, need to be educated?
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-05-01 17:11, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Like I said...

Back to being Disrespectful - again?

Quote:
On 2012-05-01 17:13, S2000magician wrote:

I believe that I've seen performers in the Palace (a better analogy to Chris' stand-up show than the Close-Up Gallery) who have included fire in their effects. Are you advocating that they, too, need to be educated?

For night clubs and privet clubs like the magic castle where it is an over 18 - 21 crowd. I see no problem (I also don't have the need) with fire tricks as part of an entertainment. That is if they stay within the law and fire code of the state and city they are performing in.

However for the kid or family show market - I don't need to use fire and side show stunts.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-05-01 17:23, bishthemagish wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-05-01 17:13, S2000magician wrote:

For night clubs and privet clubs like the magic castle where it is an over 18 - 21 crowd. I see no problem (I also don't have the need) with fire tricks as part of an entertainment. That is if they stay within the law and fire code of the state and city they are performing in.

However for the kid or family show market - I don't need to use fire and side show stunts.

Nobody, as far as I know, has suggested that you need to use fire. Nobody, as far as I know, has suggested that Christopher needs to use fire. However, you seem to be condemning him because he chooses to use fire. I fail to see how what you need to do has any bearing on what Chris chooses to do. If it works for him, and his audiences enjoy it, there doesn't seem to be a need to argue against it. If I've missed something here, I'd appreciate knowing what it is.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-05-01 17:40, S2000magician wrote:
If I've missed something here, I'd appreciate knowing what it is.

I suggest then you go back and re-read this thread.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-05-01 17:47, bishthemagish wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-05-01 17:40, S2000magician wrote:
If I've missed something here, I'd appreciate knowing what it is.

I suggest then you go back and re-read this thread.

And I you: I was in at the start of this thread, you'll note.

Nothing in this thread that I can see has suggested that you or anyone else needs to use fire. And whether you need to use fire is not germain to whether Christopher uses fire. There isn't anything in this thread to suggest otherwise. Perhaps you should let Christopher remain successful in his approach while you remain successful in yours; they needn't be the same.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-05-01 17:58, S2000magician wrote:
Nothing in this thread that I can see has suggested that you or anyone else needs to use fire. And whether you need to use fire is not germain to whether Christopher uses fire. There isn't anything in this thread to suggest otherwise. Perhaps you should let Christopher remain successful in his approach while you remain successful in yours; they needn't be the same.

And I agree and if I may add I have been at Christopher's web site and I like the way that "he" sells himself at his site and his fire magic show seems to be sold as a different show than his many other attractions. From his video's I have seen that he does do quality close up magic as well.

I think you just nailed it.

Cheers!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Thanks, Glenn. A good ending to a good discussion.

Now, back to approaching a table:

"Hello."

;)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Quote:

Zing - right over your head - you just missed the point. Perhaps you should ask Mark Lewis or Danny Doyle or if he doesn't know have Danny Doyle ask Mark Lewis.

This is the type of babble that makes it tough to understand you when you quote dead guys.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Pepka - I agree 100% with your comment about the Pride & Joy (it is not a gag I use myself, I was merely mentioning it). While on the subject and if one chooses to use it, Pride & Joy is NOT an opener and is better suited for somewhere in the middle of an act. It is kind of like the zippered banana gag - for years I have seen people doing it all wrong when they bring out the banana and unzip it to take a bite of said banana. Once you use the zipper, the gag is done and the joke is over - it is better to bring it out unzipped, peel it and take a bite, then zip it up and put it away.

Anyway, things like 'something amazing' gag may work well in one place and not in others - the performer must use judgement. As I said, I only made up that gag and did it specifically for those three wedding receptions, and it worked. I open much the same way as everyone here, only I never refer to myself as a magician - I leave it up to the audience and their own interpretations to decide - but I do refer to myself in restaurant settings as the resident entertainer (or something with similar connotation).
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
On 2012-05-01 18:58, Dannydoyle wrote:
This is the type of babble that makes it tough to understand you when you quote dead guys.

Perhaps you should ask Mark Lewis then - because from where I am coming from it is not babble. And if I may add - when was the last time you had a steady restaurant gig Danny?

In another thread you tried to point out that I wasn't working. At the time I wrote that I was taking the year off due to my back and health problems - when I wrote about that in another forum, the year was over and I was back performing in restaurants again. Plus, I did shows all that year - so in my opinion any attempt to de-value what I have to say about restaurants has little to do with how long I have been performing and booking them.

I have never found it a problem getting a job performing magic in restaurants because I have sold over 87 using the same method. As of right now I am doing grad nights and preping for a move to another city. However as I did when I moved from Chicago to St. Louis I will have at least one job in a restaurant most likely before I move.

I find it interesting how people try to dig with disrespect toward me and it never works.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Approaching a Table? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL