The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help with Invisible Pass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ShoopdyBobyMan555
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of ShoopdyBobyMan555
Hello everyone, hope you're new year is going well so far. I have a quick question, hopefully someone will be able to help me out:) I have been practicing the invisible pass for the past three weeks, but I always have trouble pulling the card out from below the other one with the base of my palm. I mean, I can do it, however I have difficulty covering it well. And when I do manage to pull out the card somewhat cleanly and get it on top of the other one, my double always seems to slip apart. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance. Cheers!

P.S. On a side note, have any of you used any other magic forums? Do you have any that you would recommend? Does anyone know anything about learnmagictricks.org/forum or magiciansklub?

-Al
vinh31
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of vinh31
I don't know any other forums. Magic Café is the best. (*Scared look)
Mr Pink
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of Mr Pink
Are you referring to the invisible pass using a full deck? Your description suggests you might not be so thought id check?
zauindro
View Profile
New user
Mariestad, Sweden
38 Posts

Profile of zauindro
To me its seems like you are meaning the erdnase change?
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Zauindro,

I agree with your understanding. His description is confusing and the name of the sleight he's given does not make sense with it..
I hope to be proven wrong, but I'm afraid we have here another new "magician" learning stuff from internet instead than from some good ol' book!!!

Very sad

mlippo
macca_accam
View Profile
New user
Australia
67 Posts

Profile of macca_accam
I think it sounds like you are referring to the erdnase chang like zauindro mentioned, can you confirm Al so we can help?
ShoopdyBobyMan555
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of ShoopdyBobyMan555
I'm not really quite sure. I learned this from some kid I found on youtube. The video title was "Invisible Pass Revealed." He's showing how to do a pretty neat color change. Thanks for your time guys.

Best,

Al
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On 2012-01-14 14:17, ShoopdyBobyMan555 wrote:
I'm not really quite sure. I learned this from some kid I found on youtube. The video title was "Invisible Pass Revealed." He's showing how to do a pretty neat color change. Thanks for your time guys.

Best,

Al

That is NOT an "Invisible" (Classic) Pass.....That's what you get for going to some kid "You Tube" Smile
The above posters have corrected your mistake. It's best to pick up the "books", Expert Card Technique, Card College or Harry Lorayne's work and start on the right track. All the best!!!
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
MagicDr
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
111 Posts

Profile of MagicDr
Quote:
On 2012-01-14 14:17, ShoopdyBobyMan555 wrote:

Best,

Al

I found your problem! Its learning magic on Youtube. If you want to learn it properly, give this a try,

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/618

It's a beginner DVD that covers many beginner moves and four routines that use those moves. It is much better than learning from a 12 year old kid that hasn't even put in the time to understand what he is attempting to teach on Youtube

The move you describe is the erdnase color change. It is covered in the DVD, along with the classic pass. It isn't covered in much detail here (the change is enough), but you get enough information to understand it. If you want to go more in depth, it might be better learned with Pandrea's Brick Pass here or Kauffman's On the Pass,

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2531 or http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/586

Anybody want to chime in with a good book or two? I don't own any books on the subject so I can't recommend anything on the pass
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
I've identified two problems here:
1) learning from YouTube (previously identified)
2) beginner learning the Pass in the first place.

Before others jump on me about learning the Pass - it is a classic control, but not easy and probably not for beginners.

My primary reference for cards is the Card College series. (I also have some of Harry's work, as well as Royal Road,and others). I like CC because (contrary to the name' s implication) starts with the very basics - how to hold a deck all the way to advanced techniques. The Classic Pass isn't introduced till vol 2, chapter 19 (300 pages into the work). That is because there are many controls that are much easier to start with for a beginner.

If you want to show off your skills to other magicians, go ahead and learn the Pass and fancy flourishes. If you want to amaze an audiance, learn the basics from a reputable text (or DVDs) and focus on presentation and revelations. (and for that I highly recommend Harry's work and the numerous routines he has published).

Hudson
MagicDr
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
111 Posts

Profile of MagicDr
Quote:
On 2012-01-14 15:16, 55Hudson wrote:
I've identified two problems here:
1) learning from YouTube (previously identified)
2) beginner learning the Pass in the first place.

Before others jump on me about learning the Pass - it is a classic control, but not easy and probably not for beginners.

My primary reference for cards is the Card College series. (I also have some of Harry's work, as well as Royal Road,and others). I like CC because (contrary to the name' s implication) starts with the very basics - how to hold a deck all the way to advanced techniques. The Classic Pass isn't introduced till vol 2, chapter 19 (300 pages into the work). That is because there are many controls that are much easier to start with for a beginner.

If you want to show off your skills to other magicians, go ahead and learn the Pass and fancy flourishes. If you want to amaze an audiance, learn the basics from a reputable text (or DVDs) and focus on presentation and revelations. (and for that I highly recommend Harry's work and the numerous routines he has published).

Hudson

I won't disagree with you on learning the pass as a beginner, but I think its a good idea to at least be introduced to it early on. My experience was that it was too hard when I first got tried it as a beginner, but I gradually improved it by trying it out in between learning something else. It took two years to get something I can do in public, but it started with an introduction to it early
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Yep, it's neither an Invisible Turnover or Classic Pass. Does sound like the E Change. You just have to do it and do it and do it. One problem that can occur is the base of the covering hand not being able to 'grab' the card to pull it backward. You may have to moisten it, etc.

Also, the entire move is very, VERY gentle. Your covering hand just floats above the cards. Pressing too hard at all will bind everything up.
Brad Burt
Mr Pink
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of Mr Pink
ShoopdyBobyMan555

Sometimes the comments can seem pretty harsh. Please don't worry. If you are serious about magic then asking for help is a good thing.

Someone once made the analogy that taking advice or lessons from youtube is kinda like picking up an open can of beer you found in the street and drinking from it.

Please take the time to sit down with one of the above mentioned books and learn from the ground up. A solid foundation is not only the best way to do it but it is without doubt the most rewarding.

all the best

Mr Pink
macca_accam
View Profile
New user
Australia
67 Posts

Profile of macca_accam
I think Mr Pink has said it best, don't get discouraged by this thread. I think I actually learned this move from an ellusionist video but I can't remember which video I found it. All the above references to books and videos would be the best start if you are somewhat serious about learning the basic moves. Best of luck.

Jason
Yekrats
View Profile
Loyal user
Dayton, Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Yekrats
As someone who is gradually progressing my way along this "royal road to card magic", I would recommend, for anyone starting to pursue card magic:
1. Mark Wilson's "Complete Course in Magic"
2. Harry Lorayne's "The Magic Book"
3. Hugard & Braue "Royal Road to Card Magic" (has an introduction to the pass in it)
4. Giobbi's Card College series, starting with #1. (#2 covers the pass)

Personally, I've been working on the classic pass for many months (probably better countable in years) and I'm just now getting to feel pretty good about it. All of the above books are freakin' amazing, and a great value for the money. Those four books will give you many things to practice over the next few years, and is a much better resource than "some guy on YouTube." ;-)
--
Corporate or event magic & mentalism: http://WizardoftheWabash.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Methinks ShoopdyBobyMan555 has left the building! In case he hasn't:

Al,

How serious are you about learning card magic? Do you want to do just that color change, or are you looking to start learning magic?

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help with Invisible Pass (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL