The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Same audience different day... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davidandstuff
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Mo
69 Posts

Profile of davidandstuff
To those who have wisdom to offer,

Over the years I have existed I have noticed that there are many times in my life where I am around the same group of people each day. Throughout middle school, high school, college, and now working in a dorm full of college students, I am surrounded by the same groups of people constantly. I know that this audience varies each semester but my question is this: How have you dealt with those audiences you are consistently around each day that are desiring a new effect? Also, how do you deal with those same individuals bringing others to you asking to you to show this new person and them the same trick you have done before("do the one where you barf up the card... or the rabbits... and those cards that go out on a date!")? Obviously I know I can just keep learning more and more effects, or I could just say, "No," but that does not completely deal with the issue. Not to mention it is impossible to keep up with their demand for entertainment. I was curious as to how you have handled similar audiences and how you go about performing for them and communicating with them. Any new ideas would be appreciated.

Blessings
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
In the first case I simply say,"I have nothing new to show you."

If someone described a trick like you said I would let them know that they just 'did' the trick and there's nothing left to show.

There's no need to meet 'demands'. If you don't feel it, don't do it.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
It has been said thatthedifference between a pro and an am is that one does the same tricks for different audiances while the other does different tricks for the same audiance. Common problem and one you should get many suggestions on.

For me, I don't mind doing the same trick if enough time has gone by and there are new people in the group. What I prefer to do is start another trick that has a similar start, but a different finish. Cards are perfect for this. With basic skills, you can learn new reveals quickly

Just my thoughts. Good luck with this very common problem.

Hudson
davidandstuff
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Mo
69 Posts

Profile of davidandstuff
Thank you. This is good advice. I do prefer to do tricks with different outcomes but similar paths in such situations. I have gotten used to saying "no" to people as well, but there is always that desire to keep performing every time they desire to see an effect. Sort of like a dancing monkey syndrome, lol
maxpax
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
116 Posts

Profile of maxpax
Yeah you shouldn't be a trick dispenser. People should know that you do things you want when you want, not when they tell you to. I guess this is kinda hard in the beginning though.

Good luck!
davidandstuff
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Mo
69 Posts

Profile of davidandstuff
Max,
I totally understand. And I have been in similar situations before over the years. I totally agree. Being a trick dispenser is unwise and dangerous. I was more curious as to what others do in situations where they are daily surrounded by people who want to see magic.
Pedranti Magic
View Profile
New user
California
23 Posts

Profile of Pedranti Magic
I've been doing magic since I was 11. I really started getting into it about a year later. I'm almost 18 now and I've had to deal with this same thing ever since I started doing magic. People would come up and ask me daily to do magic and I felt like I had to oblige because I didn't want to disappoint them. I would show people magic everyday and the problem with that is eventually you run out of material. And when that happened I started resorting to the uncle charlie style tricks which just disappointed people even more because they had seen what I could do before. I've learned now that I don't take requests. I don't perform magic upon command, and people have come to learn that about me.

That is not to say I never perform magic for my classmates in school, but I do it on my terms. Instead of them asking me to show them something, I now ask them if they want to see something when I am good and ready. That way they are much more impressed because there is more time between each performance and they don't take my magic for granted. It becomes special to see me do magic instead of a regular everyday ordeal.

that's how I've gone about it and it works for me.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
You have to remember the adage, "keep them wanting more....". Other wise,
I believe its a situation of diminishing returns on both ends. Think about it;
it can take you hours, days, weeks, or sometimes years to master a routine or
effect that is over in 3 minutes.

You simply can not keep up with that pace. If you can, I am sure the quality
of your effects and routines will suffer. You simply have to limit what you show
and set the tone from day one. If you already set the tone that you do tricks
non stop at the drop of the dime then you have no choice to do as Jaz noted and
begin to set the tone from there.

My suggestion, slow it down, save the show for special situations or get together.
Make your magic special and have meaning. Showing at the drop of the dime; cheapens
it a bit. Other wise show one and only one. Now this can be either one a week,
one a month, or one a day. But only one. This way you keep them wanting more and
if they ask for something you have done in the past; at the pace I mentioned,
perhaps times has passed enough to show it again....meanwhile your practicing up your
sets, routines, and/or show.

But if all else fails, just keep in your mind, "keep them wanting more...". You want
them to say, "oh man...'cmon...' etc.

Hope this helps.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
davidandstuff
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Mo
69 Posts

Profile of davidandstuff
Thank you Solrak! That is great advice and a very good standard to set for performing. I appreciate your thoughts.
davepb
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of davepb
[quote]On 2012-01-14 01:06, davidandstuff wrote:
To those who have wisdom to offer,

Over the years I have existed I have noticed that there are many times in my life where I am around the same group of people each day. Throughout middle school, high school, college, and now working in a dorm full of college students, I am surrounded by the same groups of people constantly. I know that this audience varies each semester but my question is this: How have you dealt with those audiences you are consistently around each day that are desiring a new effect? Also, how do you deal with those same individuals bringing others to you asking to you to show this new person and them the same trick you have done before("do the one where you barf up the card... or the rabbits... and those cards that go out on a date!")? Obviously I know I can just keep learning more and more effects, or I could just say, "No," but that does not completely deal with the issue. Not to mention it is impossible to keep up with their demand for entertainment. I was curious as to how you have handled similar audiences and how you go about performing for them and communicating with them. Any new ideas would be appreciated.

Blessings

David,
This is a problem that never goes away. During my many years at magic mountain between stage shows I would wander around some of the picnic tables, chatting to the grandparents just sitting around while the kids used the many rides. I would do a couple of out of the pocket magic tricks for them. Just simple stuff a thumb tip, vanishing their lit cigarette butt, or having fun with the beer they were drinking, pouring a few drop into one fist then having it pour out of the other or maybe borrow a coin, have it signed, they then watch it, as you physicly bend it by just using your brainwaves. The big problem is, as you have found, they insist you do it again for their mate. The first rule of magic is never repeat a trick. But, as you have discovered that can be hard. We all break the rule from time to time. What you must try to do is have a "out" ready, if you do get sprung or a way to vary the trick if you repeat it.

Two examples, I was vanishing a cigarette via a thumb tip, three time this guy asked me to show different mates.on the third time he spotted the loaded thumb tip. I just said "That, its what happens if you let your attention stray when using a band saw. It's not very relistic, but when you are at the table where people are eating lunch, the plain stump can make them feel a bit sick" That guy could not stop oppologising, in fact every tiem he got near me he came up again saying how sorry he was. I ended up having to keep the thunb tip on all afternoon. Another example was using a Svengalie deck. I was asked to show the trick to his friend. Off course, it would have been the same card he would have picked. So as an "out", I said. "Don't say what it is, but can you remember what card you picked. He said he could, I then said "Lets try a little experiment. I want you to try to send that card to your friend just by thinking of it." I riffled the cards saying to his mate, when a card pops into your head, stick your finger between the card. he did and of course it was the chosen card. I left them saying "You two are good, you should go on the stage as a mind reading act.

Hope this gives you a starting point
Dave
Magic Mountain's Mr. Magic
davidandstuff
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Mo
69 Posts

Profile of davidandstuff
Dave,

THANK YOU! this is amazing advice and I appreciate it. The TT story is really funny. What coin bend do you use? I have been seeking one as of yesterday. Thank you again!
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
Even if it is the same effect, a different story will make it all seem new, as the effect becomes the vehicle, and you take them on a voyage with your story. Do people remember exactly what boat they took to Mexico, or do they remember the Mayan Ruins? Make your stories each a voyage to a destination that will be remembered.

This is the didfference between a magician, and an entertaining magician.

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Same audience different day... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL