The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE VAULT from Jamie D. Grant. A new deck protector and card guard. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
I personaly like the black jamie. but either color would be great.
todd
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Getting closer! The Damask pattern has been applied to the steel prototype. It'll look much better on the final brass, though. I'm also leaning towards the brown as it's a bit subtler...

TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
I'm liking this a lot with the pattern.
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
Quote:
On 2012-02-11 11:08, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
I'm also leaning towards the brown as it's a bit subtler...

Either will be fine, just let me know when I can order one!!!
Magikbob
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Magikbob
My vote is for the black one, but like everyone has said, either would be great. Can't wait to order one of these !

Bob
rhettbryson
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
556 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
I would like to keep my IR in a black vault!
shadowman
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of shadowman
The brown one has mine vote !
gary31525
View Profile
Regular user
Building a fence with
158 Posts

Profile of gary31525
Jamie, that is a beautiful piece of work my friend! I like it much better now. Smile
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
That brass will take on a natural patina with age.
That's why I'm going with black.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1176 Posts

Profile of Salby
Will an option to buy a Solid Brass (Non-Design) Vault be available??

Although I like the design, it may be a bit too busy for the spectator to focus on where the coin is going into the slot. The Cardbox and Vault Design seems to "intermesh" with each other and spectators may speculate that the penetration had something to do with the design camouflaging the secret.

Just my thoughts.

As a Card Guard... (if it indeed can keep the cards flat as a Card Guard is suppose to)... I think it is spectacular and unique.
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1317 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Looks awesome Jamie!. How can I make my order?
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

Hurrah!

The die is made and is beautiful. Basically, it's almost impossible to make sharp corners by hand- you just can't get the pressure to make sharp bends, so a die has to be made. This is very expensive (I don't want to talk about it, lol), and takes a very gifted person to make it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tool_and_die_maker

Luckily, I work with the best! As you can see from the picture below, the die makes a HUGE difference...

The top Vault was the design prototype that we made by bending it by hand. If you look closely, you can see that the box is held in by the corners- not a great design, as it'll scrape the corners of the box as it goes in and out:

The bottom one, however, is a Vault made with the die. The difference is unbelievable as you can see that the box is now held in by the flat of the box because the corners are now sharp! Hurrah!

Now I go back to the application of the Damask Pattern and make sure the application and clearcoat won't affect the brass (we have to apply the pattern by using over 200lbs of pressure). After that, I'll finalize the packaging and pricing and we should be good to go!

I hope you guys don't mind me posting about how all of this works. I thought it would be interesting to give you some insight into what actually happens when trying to create a product from start to finish. I can talk about design for days! There's probably 1 more month to go.

My best,

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
Looking forward to it jamie.
Mike McErlain
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto & Green Cove Springs, FL
130 Posts

Profile of Mike McErlain
Excellent idea, Jamie! I'll be getting The Vault when available.
Thanks for all the hard work!
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2012-02-11 22:52, Salby wrote:
Will an option to buy a Solid Brass (Non-Design) Vault be available??

Although I like the design, it may be a bit too busy for the spectator to focus on where the coin is going into the slot. The Cardbox and Vault Design seems to "intermesh" with each other and spectators may speculate that the penetration had something to do with the design camouflaging the secret.

Just my thoughts.

As a Card Guard... (if it indeed can keep the cards flat as a Card Guard is suppose to)... I think it is spectacular and unique.

I also like the solid brass (no-design).
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
That is one of the best-looking card guard I've ever seen. I thought we would never see something as cool as that!

Oh, what's the price tag are we looking at Jamie? And how heavy is it?

Mine is nicely tucked into a leather poker card case with the JOL symbol. Pretty neat.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Any further word on when these might be available? They look fantastic, Jamie!

Jim
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Yup, it looks really pretty. Perhaps for IR owners, we would get a little discount? *grins*
Magic comes through perception. -HS
rhettbryson
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
556 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
I am COMPLETELY down for the discount idea! GOOD thinking!
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

Lol,

I would LOVE to, but I'm afraid not. My pricing is such that I can't even wholesale. Same as IR. Boooo.

So it's looking like it will come in at around $48 + shipping. I need to start making paper tricks or something with a little less overhead, lol. And we're getting closer- I'd say a couple more weeks. As you know, I've never believed in pre-orders or selling something until I have a bunch of working units in my hand and ready to go.

Anyways, thanks for letting me post this journey- it's been amazing! You kind of think, ah, it's just a piece of metal, but there is so much that goes into designing something from scratch. This is today's itinerary for example:

Go to the secret shop location and pick up the brass.
Take it to the waterjetters - who cut it to perfect shape.
Back to the shop and drop it off and check on the die refinements.
Go to the gentleman who's doing the design, and make sure the application process is okay for brass (he lives a town away).
Back to the secret shop to measure and compare.
Off to the box company to see how I can ship.
Over to Michael's for cool packaging ideas.
And then I'll have lunch, lol.

Fun times!

~jamie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE VAULT from Jamie D. Grant. A new deck protector and card guard. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL