The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Disney Tenyo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Just wondering if those Tenyo collectors striving to collector every Tenyo trick are buying the Disney versions of the tricks as well.

I just bought my first Disney version of a Tenyo Trick.

The Animation Frame with Disney's Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket.

I liked the true Disney's rendering of Pinocchio better in this version than in the first Tenyo version.
cyberdave03
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
I have the Mickey Mouse Magic cubes, which is the Tenyo Disney version of Bare Bones. It has one improvement over BB in that the cubes have a ridge at the periphery at the top, and a recess that fits the ridge on the bottom, so they stack evenly and quickly. The jumble and restore is the same, but instead of the skeleton disappearing off the blocks as in BB, the mountain Mickey's standing on disappears and reappears in the box. It is much easier to perform than BB (I always had trouble with the s***l getting hung up on the stack), though it doesn't quite have the finale that BB has.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Thank Cyberdave for this great informations, I have add it on the blog.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1919 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Cyberdave does the tube have the opening in the back to 'turn' the cubes while falling? I have the Winnie The Pooh version and it doesn't have the opening in the back which makes it different from Bare Bones.
cyberdave03
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
Quote:
does the tube have the opening in the back ... I have the Winnie The Pooh version

I'm pretty certain Mickey and Winnie Magic Cubes are the same trick, just with different characters. With Winnie Magic cubes, it's the balloon that disappears, then reappears in the box (see link below for a demo). There is no window in the tube of MM Magic cubes either, which allows for the disappearance of the skeleton in Bare Bones (as I mentioned in my previous post), but this also allows the tube to be freely shown from all angles (which you wouldn't want to do with BB).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLN40n1Uf2w
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1919 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
That's what I thought.
I justed wanted to clear this up because people buying these 'new' versions will not be able to do the exact same routine as with Barebones.
The Disney versions are, as you say, easier to do because of that part of the routine 'missing' comparing to Bare Bones ... but it has the same impact on audiences Smile
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2435 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
There must be well over a hundred different Tenyo tricks that have been redone for sale at Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea. I once saw a pile of several dozen at a convention--all very early stuff from the late 1970s, early 80s, redone with Disney characters that had been put together for the magic shop which Tenyo runs at Tokyo Disneyland (which opened in 1983).
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
I would guess that they are not as collectible as the standard versions.

I wonder if there is a lot of interest among Disney collectors.

My neighbor is a huge Disney collector and I sent him a video link for the Disney version of Animation Frame which he ordered from Hitomi immediately.

I ordered mine the day before so our mailman will be scratching his head as two small packages from Japan are being delivered on the same block.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2435 Posts

They should actually be more collectible: they are less well-known, and probably made in fewer numbers.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Quote:
On 2012-01-29 13:50, Richard Kaufman wrote:
They should actually be more collectible: they are less well-known, and probably made in fewer numbers.

No, they are made in more numbers I think.
jcs013
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of jcs013
I have the Winnie the Pooh blocks, Mickey Mouse color changing discs, and the Mickey Mouse Magic candy book. All excellent effects.
ThatsCool
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of ThatsCool
I just received the Mickey Mouse version of Color Changing Cd's from Japan and I am a bit disappointed in the "quality" of its materials.

I had no idea it was made out of a thin cardboard (bordering on paper). While the illusion does look pretty nice, I am baffled why Tenyo would make a $25 item so flimsy as the majority of their products are high quality and well made.

Is the US version of this cardboard too? I know there are a few other CC CD's out there and am curious as to their material make up.

Not sure why the "discs" as well as the CD holder, could not have been a thin plastic so the illusion would last over time.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3451 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
The original color changing records are thin card stock as well.

John
ThatsCool
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of ThatsCool
That's a shame John.

Wish they would have done it right as it is a nice idea.
ThatsCool
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of ThatsCool
I should be getting the Pinocchio Tenyo from Japan soon. I really like it much more than the weird American one which looks nothing like Disney's Pinocchio.

Wonder why Tenyo could not release it here in the US but could in the East.
jcs013
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of jcs013
So the MM color changing discs quality are not the best. It has not yet gone over very well each time I've used it.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2435 Posts

Tenyo does not own the rights to use Disney characters on any of its products sold in the United States. That's why all the Disney-branded Tenyo items can never be sold here other than through the gray market.
ThatsCool
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of ThatsCool
I figured that, but I am curious as to why Disney only sold them the rights for the East and not also here in the West.

Anyone hear why?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Disney Tenyo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL