The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » ***ROULETTE*** (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Biovf
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Biovf
Migraines maybe?

David
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Try to keep their brain in the right place?
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
You all need glasses. There are billets in their hands!! Smile
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It's the standard cliche pose. If you want to really stand out, put your finger in your nose instead.
aukt
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of aukt
Still waiting for a strong review on this, from anyone that I recognise or trust.
ibraa
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
51 Posts

Profile of ibraa
Great product, got me interested..
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2012-02-22 17:43, mastermindreader wrote:
It's the standard cliche pose. If you want to really stand out, put your finger in your nose instead.

LOL!
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1355 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
So I have taken some time to really take in the properties of this book, I have tried several of the effects and here I will give MY opinions.

While many of you know I am a friend of Chris’, I really am giving my honest opinion of his new book “Roulette”.

So first we will start with where to get the book from.

If you are interested in a physical copy of the book (at the amazing price of £18), it is available directly from Chris just drop him an email.

Chrisrawlinsmentalist@googlemail.com

If you on the other hand would like the Ebook, it is available from http://www.magicseen.co.uk (at £10)

The price for the material within is fantastic and a steal at less than 20 pounds!

I know a book should not be judged for its cover, but I think quality is another lovely property about this book. The printing is fantastic, everything is easily readable and the pictures are excellent quality.

The book is 82 pages long, is literally crammed with excellent information and contains a lovely forward from Luke Jermay.

Effects:

Credit guard

A psychological game involving two envelopes; the subject seals their credit/bank card into a pay envelope and another identical pay envelope is a dummy credit card. The envelopes are both mixed by the performer and he is able to correctly influence the subject to find his card!
As an added kicker, the subject is asked to remove his card, keeping it hidden at all times and concentrate at the first four digits of the long number on the front. The performer is able to correctly call off the numbers!
The subject seals their card, no gimmicked envelopes, they never write the numbers down, you don’t ever peek at the card and everything is examinable before and after!

Clipboard peek

This is my favourite out of the whole book; this had me fooled for months! This is a real time peek, no carbon, no impressions.
It is like nothing you have read before Smile

My version of a classic

This is Chris’ fantastic take on a chair test, ultimately fair conditions and a fantastic kicker to end with! The same with all Chris’ work everything is clean, clean and clean!

Essay

Here you get to get a look into Chris’ mind, take a look at some of his thoughts.

Scramble

Three subjects are handed a piece of card, are asked to stare at the card and imagine one or two letters of the alphabet and when they have them write them on the card. The audience are then asked to look at the letters, create a set of words out of the letters and decide upon one as a group.

The performer reveals he has already predicted exactly what word the audience will decide upon before the show even started!
The cards do not prompt the subjects; everyone in this routine is thoroughly impressed.
Phonebook prediction (addition).

An addition to any phone book prediction to make the odds seem even more impossible!

The Yellow ball that fooled Mark Oberon

Three cups are verified to be opaque, a yellow ball is introduced and it is explained that the performer will turn his back. When the performers back is turned the subject is instructed to place the yellow ball under any cup he desires.
The performer turns around, he is able to divine which cup the ball is under every time! If that wasn’t enough he invites another subject to participate, the performer/ new subject do not look and the ball is placed under the cup.

The subject is able to divine where the ball is!

The cups are not marked; the subject is not prompted by the performer he has free choice at all times (when it comes to his turn to find the ball).

Kicker chirp top

A small envelope is produced and it is explained that inside there are two poker chips. The performer influences the subject to correctly predict the colour of the two poker chips!

The subject is then asked to choose one of the poker chips (no equivoque) and the performer reveals he knew exactly which chip the subject would choose in a very unusual manner.

Essay

This is Chris’ second essay in the book.

The push slide peek (bonus effect)

A peek for playing cards, and/or business cards (with a little adjusting)

Little lead in

A fantastic introduction to any effect, a subject is correctly able to divine the amount of fingers the performer is holding up (every time).

P.I

This is Chris’ re-adaptation of one of the strongest (in my opinion) pieces of mentalism. Using this utility you can correctly divine ANY piece of information from a subject!

My overall opinions

It is instantly noticeable when reading this Chris has taken his time to really select some of his strongest pieces of mentalism. I know personally each of the routines have been tested live, not only Lay folk, but magi’s alike!

Often you can (in your mind) over hype something and make it out to be at such a high standard (before you read it) and then when you finally get to read it you find you are disappointed by the contents. I can honestly say this book was not a let down. It is layered with fantastic psychological principles and I know each effect will quickly fit into any performers set.

The material is practical, will play of amazingly to any audience and is only moments away from being in your repetoir
I am not a marketing stooge for Chris, if I thought the book was S**T I would say so! In my opinion this is a fantastic follow on from “Mind experiments” and I really look forward to Chris future releases!

Pete x
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2563 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

OK so I decided to pick this up from Chris, and please note I have not read any of his previous work Mind Experiments, so this was a first for me.

The book is 82 pages long, and most of the effects in the book can be considered workers, I will give my thoughts on each one.

Effects:

Credit guard

A psychological game involving two envelopes; the subject seals their credit/bank card into a pay envelope and another identical pay envelope is a dummy credit card. The envelopes are both mixed by the performer and he is able to correctly influence the subject to find his card!
As an added kicker, the subject is asked to remove his card, keeping it hidden at all times and concentrate at the first four digits of the long number on the front. The performer is able to correctly call off the numbers!
The subject seals their card, no gimmicked envelopes, they never write the numbers down, you don’t ever peek at the card and everything is examinable before and after!

Thoughts: I love this one, wow, the first effect in the book, and it comes out strong! This is definately a worker, and one you could add into your performances. Uses just pay envelopes, a credit card, and a dummy card, that's it.
I can imagine myself performing this, just like Luke Jermay states in his foreward.

One of my favorite pieces from the book.

Clipboard peek
This is a real time peek that will fool everyone, trust me!
It is nothing like you have seen before.

Another favorite piece from the book.

My version of a classic

This is Chris’ fantastic take on a chair test, ultimately fair conditions and a fantastic kicker to end with!
This is really clean, and spectators will not suspect a thing when the dirty work is done.
I really enjoyed the thinking behind this, and I feel that after studying it, you will be able to frame it so you can add it to your show.

Scramble

Three subjects are handed a piece of card, are asked to stare at the card and imagine one or two letters of the alphabet and when they have them write them on the card. The audience are then asked to look at the letters, create a set of words out of the letters and decide upon one as a group.

The performer reveals he has already predicted exactly what word the audience will decide upon before the show even started!
The cards do not prompt the subjects; everyone in this routine is thoroughly impressed.
Phonebook prediction (addition).

An addition to any phone book prediction to make the odds seem even more impossible!

Thoughts: This reminds me of an effect that I saw Michael Weber perform, and plays really strong on everyone watching.
Another great piece of mentalism for stage, that you will want to perform.

The Yellow ball that fooled Mark Oberon

Three cups are verified to be opaque, a yellow ball is introduced and it is explained that the performer will turn his back. When the performers back is turned the subject is instructed to place the yellow ball under any cup he desires.
The performer turns around, he is able to divine which cup the ball is under every time! If that wasn’t enough he invites another subject to participate, the performer/ new subject do not look and the ball is placed under the cup.

The subject is able to divine where the ball is!

Thoughts: I am going to go to the local supply store right away and buy the necessary props, this is really easy to peform, and once you know the method, you will want to go out and buy everything and try it.

Another favorite piece from the book!

Kicker chirp top

A small envelope is produced and it is explained that inside there are two poker chips. The performer influences the subject to correctly predict the colour of the two poker chips!

The subject is then asked to choose one of the poker chips (no equivoque) and the performer reveals he knew exactly which chip the subject would choose in a very unusual manner.

Thoughts: Although I liked this piece, I am not sure I will ever perform it.

The push slide peek (bonus effect)

A peek for playing cards

Thoughts: This one I will use, cannot stress the brilliance of this peek.

P.I

This is Chris’ re-adaptation of one of the strongest pieces of mentalism. Using this utility you can correctly divine ANY piece of information from a subject!

Thoughts: This is really great, I love it, and something that to me is one of the strongest pieces of mentalism that you can perform.

Overall Thoughts:

I really enjoyed this book a lot, and I found at least 5 effects that I will add to my reportoire in the future.

I always think when I buy something, if I can use at least 1-2 items from a book, DVD, or ebook, then the book was worth it, and pays itself over and over again.

This one surpassed all expectations, and is a great find and read as well.

I suggest you pick it up from Chris.

Thanks a lot

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3349 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Just redaing this...is very good, BUT the clip board peek is VERY similar to my concept used in my routine THE VISION in my dvd IN MY MIND...plus the use of the envelope was thought by Paolo Cavalli in a bonus pdf...
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3349 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Well...just read his chair routine...and he use the "bold move" I tip in my Ultimate Chair Test routine, to give the envelope to the spectators(in his chair test routine)....I am not upset...this things can accidentally happen, I am sure we will speak about it.
Gideon
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Gideon
Quote:
On 2012-03-01 12:48, lucavolpe wrote:
Just redaing this...is very good, BUT the clip board peek is VERY similar to my concept used in my routine THE VISION in my dvd IN MY MIND...

Yes Luca, but in Chris version is a step more to hide the prinzip better.
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3349 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Still waiting his email.... Smile
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1355 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
He will reply Luca, I know Chris and know he would not do this intentionally. I am looking forward to seeing you very soon and hope we can have 10 mins to chat about a few things.

All the best,

Pete Smile
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3349 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
HI Peter, thanks, I hope he will contact me soon, as I am not the first one to have noticed this similarity with my routines.
I am in UK now until the 6th and then I will come back to do my show in Manchester at the Kings Rams the 28th, if you can come to see me will be great, like this we can talk a little!
:)
crozboz
View Profile
New user
York, UK
30 Posts

Profile of crozboz
RE. The Clipboard peek -

With all due respect Luca - I've seen Chris' and I've seen yours.

They are very different for the 2 reasons - 1) that Chris' is fooling as hell and 2) it's original.

if you do a magic trick with a stuffed monkey, and use the fact that it's a monkey in the method, doesn't mean that you created every effect in which a stuffed monkey is necessary for the method to work.

Without giving the method away - looking through a window isn't as impressive as looking through a door...

Just my 2 cents.
Tom Crosbie
"Expanded bread shell is a method I hope to see lots more of in future" - Tom Stone
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3349 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
HI Croz, I spoke with chris and he will let me know soon...about your answer, well, I don-t have said that is identical, but the basic concept is similar...my 2 euro...

p.s. I perform my routine THE VISION from years and I fooled many people and performers, let's think as the people think and not as performers/magician
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Is the clipboard peek (in the Roulette book) for close-up or stage?

Or both?
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
You use a clipboard in close-up?
I want to see you !
It must be a real circus !
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3349 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Just received an email from Chris, all is clear now!
Has been really nice to speak with him.
I wish him good luck with this project!
:)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » ***ROULETTE*** (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL