The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2012 entrée: David Kaye » » Other Children's Entertainers » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
David,

I know that you're a member of the KBT (I hope I'm using the correct acronym).

Over the years I'm sure you've run into some creative children's entertainers who either prefer to stay off to the sidelines doing "their own thing," or have just somehow never come to the attention of the mainstream children's entertainment groups.

Without naming names or giving away their secrets, can you talk in general about some of the more creative individuals/things you've seen during your travels?

Thanks,

Gerry
David Kaye
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
131 Posts

Profile of David Kaye
The key word there is "travels." I get booked often to perform and lecture at kids magic conventions in other countries. Most other countries have a kids magic convention. It is there that I meet "the best kid show guy in Argentina, Columbia, Spain..." This is very exciting for me.

I also got to meet a lot of unknowns when I was writing my column for MAGIC. I wrote 100 columns and each month I needed a new routine from a new magician. So I was always on the lookout.

I will tell you a few things I find interesting: I know at least 5 kid show guys from other countries who have their own kids TV show. In smaller countries it is easier to get a show. In the US the cost of is often too high. I am also fascinated by the different places "crossing the line" is in other countries. The US is very puritan and conservative compared to the rest of the world. In the rest of the world kid show guys are getting away with crazy stuff you would be fired over here. An example is in Argentina. It is a standard gag there to put a trick funnel at the crotch of a boy and let the water run out onto the floor or a bucket. Can you imagine getting away with that here? In Denmark most of the big players are characters, not "Bjorn the magician." They have elaborate costumes, they change the sound of their voice, every trick is themed. It is really something.

p.s. The name is KGB. It is an invitation-only gathering of the best kid show magicians I can find. I started it because I wanted all these great kid show guys I met from around the country and around the world to meet each other and share ideas. We just had our ninth annual gathering. We were 11 magicians from 6 countries.
David Kaye / Silly Billy
www.sillymagic.com
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Thanks David.

Gerry
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
What performers in other countries, that are lesser known in the states, would you say deserve some more attention.
Not only talking about kid show magicians but also illusionists, comedy magicians and people you like to hang out with because they are creative or know their magic inside out?
David Kaye
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
131 Posts

Profile of David Kaye
When I usually meet magicians in other countries it is because they have already achieved notoriety. They are at a convention or a show. So most of my friends, as it turns out, already have well known careers.

Also, if they are a chi;ldren's magician that I am impressed by, I bring them in to participate in my KGB gathering and then they move on from there to more attention in the US.

However, I can tell you two names that jump to mind. One is Rafael from Belgium. Most pros know who he is. So do European audiences. But here in the States I think most magicians don't know him. Besides being a great friend and one of the funniest guys I know, he is a brilliant magician. He is an illusionist, and a consultant. Consulted for Hans Klok. (You may have read recently that he won a law suit in court in Holland to stop Hans from using Rafeal's Dropping Head illusion without permission.) Take a look at http://www.rafael.be/

Second is a brilliant inventor in England named Angelo Carbone. Invented Out of Order, with the four cards riveted together. Does work with Tenyo. Nice guy, consulting for Derren Brown. Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwHHSoU3YfE
David Kaye / Silly Billy
www.sillymagic.com
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Hey, don't forget Jozo!!

Jim
David Kaye
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
131 Posts

Profile of David Kaye
Never heard of him.

Jozo is a genius, but he has a presence here in the US so I didn't mention him.

Forgot to say before that Angelo Carbone lives in London.
David Kaye / Silly Billy
www.sillymagic.com
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Hi David,

I did some research and Angelo Carbone has invented some very clever tricks which I already put on my wish list. LOL

I also found some great clips of Rafael's different acts, including this new promo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW_pe-IKAxQ&feature=youtu.be
I hope to see his show one day.

I can see why you like them.

Thank you for bringing these magicians to my attention.

Cheerrs,
Tristan
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2012-01-16 19:34, David Kaye wrote: We were 11 magicians from 6 countries.

David,
I'll bet all these individuals are very unique, but what would you say ALL these magicians have in common?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
David Kaye
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
131 Posts

Profile of David Kaye
Quote:
On 2012-01-21 12:59, Frank Starsini wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-16 19:34, David Kaye wrote: We were 11 magicians from 6 countries.

David,
I'll bet all these individuals are very unique, but what would you say ALL these magicians have in common?

Frank is asking about the attending members of KGB, the small, invitation-only gathering of the best kid show workers I can find. Not sure what you are getting at Frank, but here is a list of the things they have in common.

-They are full-time pros, who specialize in kids magic.
-They are smart, funny, and push the boundaries of what is normally expected in a kids show.
-They live and breathe kids magic. They all have a passion for it.
-They all are the top guys in their market.
-They have all lectured at conventions before.
-They have all released at least one book, dvd, or trick to the magic community.
-They were all hobbyist magicians growing up, so they have a knowledge of all aspects of magic. That is to say that some kid show people get into it as adults and havent learned the background of all kinds of magic and its principles.
- And one of the most important as it relates to being invited a second time is, do they bring something to the group to enhance the experience of the gathering? Is it a good fit with the others?
David Kaye / Silly Billy
www.sillymagic.com
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
KGB is a fantastic experience. Here's a little highlight video I made after this years event. One of the most fun things was getting to perform with all the other guys in the group - listen out for some very interesting audience responses during the show section!

http://youtu.be/kTMOCga6yfI
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
I love the KGB and was gutted to miss this years gathering and meeting all my favourite friends.
But its double havock next year.

David enjoyed reading all your answers this week.
JIMMY CARLO. KIDabra International Family Entertainer of the Year 2009.
IBM Triple Award Winner. Uk Champion of Comedy Magic.
Represented the UK in the United Slapstick Awards on German TV.
European Children's Entertainer of the year 2007/8
David Kaye
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
131 Posts

Profile of David Kaye
Thanks Jimbo.

Folks, Jimbo and Kimmo are both terrific childrens entertainers. Both from England. I have already mentioned this week that Kimmo is one of the few kids guys who truly cracks me up. They are both in KGB.

We shot a lot of video this year. (we met during the first week of January) Stay tuned to a series of videos from our KGB meeting this year.
David Kaye / Silly Billy
www.sillymagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2012 entrée: David Kaye » » Other Children's Entertainers » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL