The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Performing outside in the winter... without freezing our fingers? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
BaoHoang
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal, Canada
140 Posts

Profile of BaoHoang
I just had a call from someone that needed entertainers for a winter karnival and everything will be outside. I told them that I couldn't perform outside because it would be too cold for my hands and my props. I am still thinking about any possible way to perform good strolling magic outside while keeping my mittens. What do you guys think?
Montreal Magician Bao
www.baomagic.com
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I would go and buy some of the re-useable or disposable hand warmers and keep them in your coat pocket, one on each side. You can keep your hands in the pockets between sets to keep them warm and nimble.

As for the props, the cold should not cause most of what you would use for strolling magic to fail, maybe with the exception of your hands.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
MAN UP!

Get some of the gloves with the fingertips open.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
BaoHoang
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal, Canada
140 Posts

Profile of BaoHoang
Thanks for the tip Dr J Ayala!

Pete, I don't think it's about maning up. Have you tried performing in the cold when it's 5 to -5°F?
Montreal Magician Bao
www.baomagic.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Then again... there are just some events you have to pass on.In that case, pass it to someone else

There's a condition called Raynauds Disease http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/raynauds-disease/DS00433 which can make it impossible for some people to function when they are cold.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'm with Jay on this, PASS.

-Mary Mowder
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
I've performed in cold weather, well below freezing. It's not that bad. You're moving around and the crowd keeps the heat in and the wind out. Listen to Pete.

Also, choose material that isn't knuckle busting. You can do an invisible deck routine with your hands in your pockets for most of it.

Joey D
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I had to acquire my common sense over time. I pass on gigs that are either too cold, or if the heat would be stifling. I always used to believe that the show must go on, but my health matters more than a few bucks.

Of course, you could always juggle fire. Then you'd have your own personal heater! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I'd pass on it...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Quote:
On 2012-01-16 17:40, Bad to the Balloon wrote:
Heated close up table.

http://www.firepitsdirect.com/lacosta-fi......ight.php

hahahaha
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Linking rings can be performed with gloves on, I would think.

Some mental/mind reading effects contain nothing but asking questions and then revealing what the volunteer is thinking. Several math equation effects are this way.

If the goal of a strolling magician is to entertain the crowd, then focusing on that goal opens up a lot of possibilities other than cards, sponge balls, etc. (your audience will have a hard time picking a card with their gloves on) Cracking jokes and engaging in light conversation is entertainment. Some comedy emcee bits aren't really magic but are entertaining nonetheless.

Passing/referring on a gig you aren't comfortable with is preferable to taking the job and "bombing".
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
I've done outside strolling in single digit temps for a suburb near me that throws a New Year's Eve celebration during the day...outside. Of course, not the greatest conditions, obviously, but I got through it. I realized early on that coin tricks and most pick-a-card tricks weren't going to be possible. I just made the best of it...had some fun...got paid...and stopped for an extra large hot chocolate on the way home.
patrick
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
I did a series of strolling gigs last Oct and one day it was just a little over the freezing point. I could hardly do any close up magic with freezing fingers. Besides, when I tried to stop people, they were too cold to watch or wouldn't want to take their hands out of their pockets to participate in the magic.

Pass....pass....passs
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-01-16 17:40, Bad to the Balloon wrote:
Heated close up table.

http://www.firepitsdirect.com/lacosta-fi......ight.php

You forgot to mention that it's portable.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-01-17 00:17, Wes Holly wrote:
Linking rings can be performed with gloves on, I would think.

Almost anything can be performed with gloves on.

Find a high school close to you that has a marching band, and find out where the drum majors get their gloves. I bought a dozen pairs several years ago for about $6.00 apiece. They're lightweight cotton, somewhat elastic, and will keep your hands warm. They're white, and look pretty darned good. And they let you do a lot of the sleight of hand you're accustomed to doing (with a bit of practice, of course.
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
S2000,
the next time I get a show outside in cold weather, I will consider those gloves. Thanks for the heads up.....even if it comes from a magician who lives in southern California....lol.
patrick
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2012-01-17 15:47, patrick flanagan wrote:
S2000,
the next time I get a show outside in cold weather, I will consider those gloves. Thanks for the heads up.....even if it comes from a magician who lives in southern California....lol.
patrick

It can still reach beyond freezing there and deserts reach freezing temperatures all the time too because there is nothing in them to really hold on to heat.

Speaking of gloves, all the suggestions pointing in that direction reminded me of another idea with yet another pair of gloves. If you look in sporting goods stores, they have gloves with pockets in which you place those hand warmers I mentioned previously, and some of those types have removeable fingers. Flip the fingers on between performances to keep hands warm and you should be good to go.

I too think it would be a good idea to do things that would not require a lot of dexterity and/or extensive use of the hands.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I did an outside event last weekend. It was about 38-36. It's all about choosing the right material.

I knew I wouldn’t be able to do any of the normal slights using normal size cards so I used bigger cards for my card magic. I would force a card using a normal deck then lots of byplay and reveal it with the bigger card. I stayed away from coin work. Spongeballs were easy to handle.

I found that everyone was in a better mood since they were cold trying to stay warm. Best part was since it was cold, people must have felt sorry for me because they were tipping me, even after I gave them the “I’m compliments of the host” line they were still handing out the $$$.

Luckily it was only 2 hours in the middle of the day and it was sunny.

By the way the original plan was to have it indoors and at the last minute it was changed to outdoors. I've learned to adjust.
Life of Magic!
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
I remember reading in Whit Haydn's Street Magic book that when it got too cold for him to perform his regular magic on the streets, he would do mentalism. Much of that can be done without much manipulation...
At Ease Tees - Christian apparel and other items!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Performing outside in the winter... without freezing our fingers? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL