The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » I want to End --with my Dove act... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
But they can't stay loaded for 30 minutes till I get to them----Anyone got any great ideas?----Thanks in Advance!---Jimeuax Smile
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
What type of venue are you performing in? If you are working in a stage setting, have an intermission. It all depends on what kind of setup you have.
Zaubern Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5003 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Without knowing your act, this is a difficult question. If you have an assistant, he or she could load the birds in a duplicate coat or dove vest for you. If you have the opportunity to leave the stage for a minute, just change jackets. Only other alternative I can think of is the intermission idea that zaubern suggested. Any chance of changing your routine to do the dove act first?
Where the magic begins
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
879 Posts

Profile of sperris
I always open with my dove act, just because I want to get it done and out of the way. It is really a whole second show I have to set for and it really sets the mood to open with a silent routine and it gets the audience pumped and clapping, etc. And then I close my show with the snow animator...-JUST KIDDING!

Sperris Smile
DANSPERRY.COM
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
So you want to end with the dove act, and I also want to fly like David Coppertone but don't have the 250K.

I recommend that you get a spare jacket with the pockets and use Ice McDonald's dove retainers and his loop connect gimmick. If you leave backstage for 5 minutes that'll give you enough time to set-up. Just have your assistant, if you have one do some mentalism. Buy his "I Dove You Truly" video.

Then end with the snow animator.

G0THIKE
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5003 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Almost any loop holder, and we all know there are many variations, will work, not just the loop connect.
Where the magic begins
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Almost any loop holder will work like Dave mentioned, but he wants to save time. Loop connect will keep the loops in place and they set up really fast.
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
879 Posts

Profile of sperris
I used to use something to hold my loops like loop connect and it was a lot faster and chaper. Just have some soft velcro sewn into the jacket. Like a strip all the way down. Then when you make your loop wrap a sticky square of hooked velcro around it where you connect the line from your holder to your loop. All you'd have to do is just tac it where you wanted it in your jacket when you were ready to load the dove and they last for a long long time. -Just an idea

Sperris Smile

http://www.dansperry.com
http://www.extremedovemagic.com
DANSPERRY.COM
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
Thanks for the Ideas!---It may just be easier to open with the Doves----then the problem becomes what can I top it with-at the End of the show----especially in the eyes of kids. I am really thinking more in terms of school shows----Thanks in Advance!---Jimeuax

"I Dove You Truly" part 1 and 2 are very good in my opinion--I have them both!-Cheers!---Jimeuax
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5003 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Nothing says you can't go back to your Dove stuff at the end of the act. What I mean is, open your act with the dove routine, go into the rest of your act, and close with a vanishing bird cage or for kids, a dove to rabbit. Something like that. Animals are great for kids and this way, they leave your show remembering you had birds and rabbits.

g0thike: I use a variation of Peter White's loop holders. You can almost do a straight jacket escape with them and the loop will stay exactly where you put it. That's what I meant about using almost any loop holder.
Where the magic begins
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
Why didn't I think of that! Smile JUst let the doves stay in a vanishing cage and then vanish them at the very end---That gets the Doves out of the pockets at the beginning and still ends with a Dove effect!-Thanks Dave! Smile
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
How long can doves stay in a vanishing birdcage? I had planned on starting the act with doves. And using the birdcage as a finale to the dove part before carrying on.
Thanks
Nick
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5003 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
It's hard to tell how long is too long since none of us have experimented up to that point. I would not recommend longer than 10 minutes however. If your act is longer than that, I'd consider having it moved off stage to be unloaded.
Where the magic begins
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of knmagic
I start my show with the dove act and end it with the vanishing cage. As soon as I am off the stage, I unload the dove first. I one time have many kids clinged to me for questions and picture taking, I left my doves in the cage for about 15 minutes. They were OK and looked fine after that. I was worry though. I don't suggest you leave them in there too long, especially in hot summer time.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
Here's a crazy, heart stopping story. Disclaimer: DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN PLEASE! This is just an anecdote. I did a huge show a few years back. It was so big, I had to enlarge my crew. A dear friend of mine was brought on board and he was supposed to unload the cage after my dove act. After the show was over and I started cleaning up, I started breaking the cage down while my friend and I were chatting. I detached the table/cage, put it into the case and was about to shut it when my friend's face went totally PALE. He asked, "Aren't you going to take the birds out first?" I freaked. My dove act had finished about 35 minutes earlier! Like lightning, I opened the cage up and that's when I saw them...just chilling out, walking around inside. Whew. They were a little warm, however. God knows how close a call that probably was. The moral of the story...get them out...I'd say 20 minutes is long enough. Get them out of the cage.
Magic Blinds
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Magic Blinds
Chris Moro,

The dove can be OK in that small of a crawl space since it does have air leaking in. They will be hot in their sorta like the summer but it just isn't nice having them in such a small space for such a length of time.

I have had doves loaded in my jacket on me for 30 minutes, by body temp is 98.6 and they seem fine. Air goes into the pocket thru the material.

Just NEVER USE STEEL AS A COAT LINER. A certain dove video mentiones steel.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
Thanks for making me feel better, Magic Blinds. My goodness, who mentioned STEEL in their video!?!? Sounds a bit extreme!!!!
Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
308 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
At least you guys threat your doves well. I know a guy here in portugal that does a 10 min dove act ending with a vanishing cage. Then he does the second part, for 1 HOUR with the cage on stage with the doves inside. I told him several times to just leave the cage till the end or make a small break in between both parts to unload the doves. His response?? He told me to ********. I really hate that guy.
Alex
Magic Blinds
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Magic Blinds
Chris,

There we go 1 hour if any complains tell them F*&K OFF. You need to create enemies somehow. But seriously the doves should be OK.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » I want to End --with my Dove act... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL