The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2012 entrée: David Kaye » » Repeat shows,1o most important things and getting adult shows » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

asgar
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of asgar
What do you do about repeat shows.How much change do you bring in repeat shows.I used to worry about that much more.I now make sure the kids are having good time whether they know what's gonna happen next.

What are the 10(or hopefully 100 suggestions) things one should always remember about children magic .

I started out as a sleight of hand artist-doing close-up ,parlor and gambling shows for adults.I was worried about whether the things are appropriate for children.After doing almost 300 shows in 100 schools for a milk promotion,I fell in love with children magic and doing pretty good now.I now do ventriloquism,juggling,balloon magic and contact juggling as well.However I still want to get the adult shows as I am still pretty good with cards ,coins,balls and mentalism.But I'm afraid that after seeing my children show ,people may not count me for adult shows.
I tend to add tricks that work for adults too like cups and balls,misers dream,newspaper tear,silk vanish,sponge balls....but still it's a kids. show.what do you suggest?
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
David Kaye
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
131 Posts

Profile of David Kaye
Change: I list all the tricks I do at every show. when a mom says she saw me at Billy's party I know what tricks I did. The changes occur when the kids have seen me before. We know kids love repetition, so you don't have to change the whole show. I change about half the tricks for the second showing, another half for the third. Sometimes I go back to the first A-show on the fourth viewing. Sometimes the moms will try to talk you into changing a lot cause they have seen you before. But that's when the kids complain they didn't see their favorite tricks!

10 Things: I wrote this in my book, Seriously Silly. It is a complete chapter in my book. here are the bullet points. I called the section: Ten Steps to Understanding Children’s Magic

1. You must like children, or at least fake it well.
2. Speak to the children as you would an adult.
3. Emphasize the entertainment over the effect.
4. Eliminate distractions.
5. “I know that one” doesn’t always mean that.
6. Go with the flow. Be willing to go off script.
7. Children love participating.
8. Explain the plot and keep plots simple.
9. Make pop culture references.
10. Have fun.

Your Question:
YOu should definitely do adult foolers, which you say you are doing. Also, mention that you do adult shows during the show. Maybe you can produce a flier, or business card that looks more adult-y and less kiddie, and hand that out. It should look really adult so there is no doubt it is not a kids show. You could also, after your show, do a little strolling for the adults. Slay them with good stuff and tell them you are available...
David Kaye / Silly Billy
www.sillymagic.com
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of asgar
Thanks for the strolling idea.i did that a couple of times.i will try to do theese more.I don't ahve the book and believe me -it's really hard for me to buy something from internet or usa.(credit card and southasia issue)
can you kindly explain
4. Eliminate distractions.
and
9. Make pop culture references.
thank you very much
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
David Kaye
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
131 Posts

Profile of David Kaye
Asgar,

I sell to many magicians outside of the USA. Most use paypal. If you don't have paypal you can send me a money order or western union in USD$. Sent in the mail. look at my web site to the address and email to contact me to help you. (www.sillymagic.com)

To answer your question: From my book:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Eliminate distractions.

Children are less able to concentrate than adults when there are distractions. Unfortunately, when you perform for children there can be many distractions. Whether it’s adults talking during your birthday party show or infants crying during a larger theater show, there just isn’t the same respect for the kid show performer as there is for an adult theater experience.

When people sit in cushy seats in a dark theater, they are conditioned to respect the performer. Unfortunately most kid shows are performed in living rooms, school gyms, outdoor parks, etc. These are locations where people are accustomed to talking. Without the advantages of curtains, lighting and seats, we have to control many aspects of the show ourselves.

If the children become distracted, they won’t be able to concentrate on you or your presentation. As a children’s magician, part of your job is to eliminate distractions.

Once again, this is such an important issue that I have devoted all of Part 4 to helping you eliminate distractions at your shows.

Make pop culture references.

Children know that the life of an adult is different from the life of a child. They know that parents read grown-up books, see grown-up movies, and watch grown-up TV shows. They know that mom doesn’t want to watch The Little Mermaid for the hundredth time! Therefore, if an adult expresses an interest in the same pop culture pleasures that the children have, the children will be surprised, and (more importantly) they will like him more. They will think he’s cool. So in my show when I say, “I love watching Scooby Doo” the children are impressed and suddenly we’re friends.

As you are warming up the audience ask the children, “Who likes _________ (fill in the name of the coolest pop band here). Ask, “Who has a _________(fill in the name of the hot toy that all the kids have to have.) Ask, “Who watched _____ yesterday?” (Fill in the name of the big TV show here.)

Try to make a reference to the latest boy band, the newest young female pop singer, the TV cartoon show that all the kids are watching, or the latest toy fad. Use artwork from pop culture icons to customize your props. The kids will love you for it. They will think you are not like other adults and that you are more like them.
David Kaye / Silly Billy
www.sillymagic.com
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of asgar
Thanks a lot.I also experiences it calling the girls by justin beaver brought a lot of excitement in my last show.thanks a lot.i think I'll use western union.
David Kaye
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
131 Posts

Profile of David Kaye
That's funny! Everyone reading this should use that joke. I will!
David Kaye / Silly Billy
www.sillymagic.com
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
There are so many children's TV programs today. Is there a source to see which are 'most' popular? Are there ratings for children's programs like prime time programs have?
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
@drosenbe0813: Disney Channel and Nickelodeon. My kids are parked there. I've been wondering, has anyone done magic themed with "Wizards of Waverly Place?" Make a reference to Selena Gomez and you'll have them eating out of your hand. @David Kaye: I'd love to hear any ideas you have about playing off that show.
David Kaye
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
131 Posts

Profile of David Kaye
DR: To find out what the most popular kids TV shows are ask the kids! I do that all the time. I ask what shows they are watching, to tell me about the shows. They love it when an adult shows interest in them like that Then you will have the info for the next show.

I don't have many jokes about the tv shows the kids are watching now. But it is always fun to kill time by asking them about their favorite shows. Or asking the boys about girl shows and vice versa. Ask who loves Justin Beiber. The girls will say yes and the boys no. funny for the parents to see this. I do this sometimes when the kids are eating cake. Just to keep entertaining verbally.
David Kaye / Silly Billy
www.sillymagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2012 entrée: David Kaye » » Repeat shows,1o most important things and getting adult shows » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL