The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Half Roughed cards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Hi guys,

I was researching a bit effects that utilize the rough and smooth priniciple. Quintessentially, I found out there are different spots to rough cards to achieve different type of effects.

What I want to know is what do half roughed cards do. What is their basic use? Or, how would you use them in the context of a trick?

I was thinking of basically roughing 26 blank face cards and 26 regular cards to achieve the effect of demonstrating blank cards in the face but when I spread the back I would like to show that I can spread more cards. (Thus, solidifying the fact that there is a complete deck of blank cards).

Could the half-roughed cards achieve this? When spreading the faces only the blanks appear but when I spread the backs it's like a complete deck showing.

Thanks for your help.

Rpascual
Chris Henderson
View Profile
Special user
Indiana -- Anyone w/ no life would have
563 Posts

Profile of Chris Henderson
I've always heard of it being called "Super Roughing." I sent you a PM displaying one example, which can create multiple changes in the deck.
"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"

--Gerry Spence
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
The book "Rough Stuff" by Joe Berg and Al Aldini goes into this.
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
656 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2012, Riley wrote:
The book "Rough Stuff" by Joe Berg and Al Aldini goes into this.

Here is the link to the ebook version of Rough Stuff. Its a great book, and a comprehensive course in roughing methods.

http://www.trickshop.com/roughing-fluid-cards.html

Zack Johnston
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Thanks for the link Zack, I grabbed it plus "same both sides" since its buy one get 50% off second
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Also, if you want to do a good bit of roughing DIY style (including 1/2 cards)
In the US - OR - If you are not in the US and have your own favorite roughing spray - http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=......rtID=136
In Europe - http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=......rtID=135

Difference is the spray cannot be shipped to US for some reason.

NOTE: this is NOT Science Friction Spray. It is regular Roughing Fluid (2 different products for different applications)
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
656 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2014, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Also, if you want to do a good bit of roughing DIY style (including 1/2 cards)
In the US - OR - If you are not in the US and have your own favorite roughing spray - http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=......rtID=136
In Europe - http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=......rtID=135

Difference is the spray cannot be shipped to US for some reason.

NOTE: this is NOT Science Friction Spray. It is regular Roughing Fluid (2 different products for different applications)

The spray can't be shipped to the US because roughing fluid is considered a hazardous material. Companies can't ship materials in this category internationally.
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
656 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2014, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Thanks for the link Zack, I grabbed it plus "same both sides" since its buy one get 50% off second

And you are welcome for the link. Is Same Both Sides the book by Lloyd Jones? Can you remind me about what the ebook is about?

Zack Johnston
lacigam
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of lacigam
I need to use roughing fluid on a Brainwave Deck. Are the faces of both cards coated or just one?
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
Both
Joemv
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Joemv
Check out Roughing Stick by Harry Robson...your fav magic shop should be carrying this item.

Joe Smile Smile
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
I have an effect by Tao Magic- Jeez the name is at the tip of my tongue- which the cards are half roughed like mentioned in the first post of this thread. you spread the cards and you can show all 52, but then spread the cards the other way and the roughing comes into play. Also have a few effects in which the cards are half roughed vertically. And yes like hofzinser said, BOTH are roughed but if you use plasti-dip spray you only have to coat ONE card. And coat it very lightly, as that stuff is very powerful. Also heard great things about the roughing stick, too like Joemv just said. It was reviewed on the Wizard Product Review and they liked it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Half Roughed cards? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL