The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Get Real (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
WEASEL DANDAW
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of WEASEL DANDAW
I have just finished reading “Get Real” the first of what I hope will be a series of e-booklets by Roslyn Walker.

In “Get Real” Roslyn tells you how to make your escapes look real & believable. He does not tell you any methods of escape or give away any secrets, so if you are looking for that you will not find it here.

What you will find is an informative piece of escape literature explaining how to perform your act so that it puts both yourself & more importantly your audience in the right frame of mind to see your performance as believable.

A lot of escape artists may have an act, but it’s knowing how to put it over that is the key to having an entertaining act.

You can find out how to order from Roslyn’s website: http://www.roslynwalker.com/forsale.cfm

Keep up the good work Roslyn & I look forward to your next outing as an author.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hi Weasel,

I'm glad you enjoyed my first outing as an author. It was fun to write, but scarier than anything else I've done when it came to releasing it.

It seems you're not the only one who enjoyed it. I received this from none other than Norm Bigelow himself just moments ago and I thought I'd share it here:

"Roslyn Walker has just written "Get Real" a  masterpiece and one of the
greatest acting tools for the escape artist that I  have read.
It is laid out in easy to understand instructions but  this is far more
than effect and method, this is real experience  talking.
Anyone can do an escape but try and sell  it.
This is a fantastic system to sell the act and can be  applied to many
different escapes.
Roslyn says this is his first written works on the  subject and I want to
read everything he will write in the  future.
This is a wonderful edition to the world of escapes  and tackles a subject
that has never been taken on like this.  Ros  is
brilliant as usual.
                                    Norman Bigelow"

If anyone has any questions about this you know where I am.

Cheers,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Go Ros
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of magicusb
Keep it up! Go for it!

Dorothy Dietrich
Houdini Museum
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
It has been a while since I have read a book related to escapology but Get Real intrigued me.

I think Get Real needed to be written for this art, as there is a great lack of information and help in crafting the reality of a performance. I wish I had that information when I performed because I always felt like I was not doing a good enough job making my escapes believable. I'm pretty sure if I had Get Real I would have done better overall.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of magicusb
Barry Yiengst also wrote a great book on this subject.

D&D
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
OK, I just finished this e-book, and was very pleased. As Weasel said, if you are looking to learn how to escape from restraints, keep on looking. Rather, Ros has crafted a brilliant exploration of how the audience percieves the escape artist, and how we can manipulate that psychology to our advantage.

Highly Recommended.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Just read my copy and I must say I was very happy with what I read. I particularly like the section which advised that you get locked into something that you know you can't get out of (don't do this alone!!!) That gives you the feeling and emotions that you will never forget and so that feeling can then be used to make your performance escape seem so much more realistic.

So simple, but as far as I know, never seen in print before.

I truly recommend anyone either into or contemplating getting into escapes to read "Get Real"
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Profile of Stuart Burrell
I too have just read Get Real and agree with the positive posts above. If you do not have a copy then please purchase one. It will give you things to consider and to think about in terms of how you present your escape.
I thought I had a good little act but this has made me put my pride to one side and think I may be mistaken.
Well done Ros
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Great job Roslyn. Knowing just a little of your background, and performance philosophy, I knew this would be a worthwhile read and of course I wasn't disappointed.
Thanks for laying out some fundamental concepts which we can all use to further our performances, and the escape arts in particular.
This is a great start, and I look forward to the next publication. I have a feeling that in the course of time these booklets will be considered foundational reading for anyone in the escape field.
Thank you Roslyn for sharing your hard won knowledge, I hope I can do it justice.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hi,

I'd just like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has bought my manuscript. I really appreciate your support, I didn't expect comments like this for my first offering, kind of puts the pressure on for future releases.

Something that I've been working on is making it so that the manuscript is available for instant download instead of you having to wait for me to email it over to you. This has now been sorted. So anyone who orders from now on will receive a link that allows them to download the ebook directly from my site. I should warn you that the link does expire within 48 hours.

Thanks again for all your support.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I've had a few thoughts regarding my ebook, I'm thinking of recording it and making it into an audio book. This will added to the original ebook and the two will be sold together as a single package for the same current price. My reasoning is that many people don't have a portable ereader like the kindel or ipad so they're stuck reading the book at home on a computer screen. However, most have mp3 players which means the book would be portable. Listen to it at the gym, in the car or on the bus. If I decide to go ahead with it those who have already bought the Get Real PDF will receive an email with the mp3 attached.

So my question is quite simply, would this actually be of benefit to anyone?
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I'm sure some would like it in audio form. I have no use for that. I hate reading long passages on a computer screen, so I just printed it out. I now have the hard copy I like and can read it or re-read it anytime with ease.
Magic is like Science,
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
So that's one vote for don't bother Smile

Cheers Cliff, hope you're well.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Hi Roslyn
Firstly I think this is very in-keeping with your general approach. You're thinking of new ways to do things and while audio-books are not new, I believe the idea of combining an ebooklet and audio in one package is new to the magic literature world. This approach has brought you success already, keep it up.
My guess is that like most new ideas, it may not initially seem to have much traction, but often in time it grows on folk and becomes "part of the furniture".

In answer to your question, I would be happy to have an audio version, but I don't know how ofter I would use that vs the digital or printed version. With reference material, it is perhaps easier to get to a specific part visually than with the audio version. That being said, if you do create an audio version, I think it is important that it has the mp3 version of chapters to allow someone to easily get to the part they need.
So I would suggest you consider how much time and effort (and possibly expense) it would take to produce the audio version and weigh that up with the expected benefit.
This is of course what you're doing by posing the question in the first place - I'm slow, but I get there eventually Smile
In this case, my gut feel is that for many folk the audio would be a "nice to have", but not necessary. Does that make it worth your effort???

Perhaps when you consolidate all your booklets into the volume which will become the "Tarbell of the EA world", then it would be good to have an audio version as well.
All the best.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Get Real featured on Magic Week: http://www.magicweek.co.uk Smile
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I've had to revert back to sending Get Real out via email due to some cheeky monkeys finding a way of bypassing the PayPal process and downloading it without paying.

Its a bit of nuisance but can't be helped Smile
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
At the reasonable price you are asking, that is just bullspit.
Magic is like Science,
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4424 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
You should put a fake one up instead so they can download it for free (but get a load of old tosh - you could just get me to transcribe it for you - the result would be mostly illegible! Happy to do that to anyones work)
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Lol... Thanks Dave! I'll consider it.

To answer a question I've had regarding Kindel compatibility. I've just tested it on mine and in short it looks awesome. It also looks great on iPad, so you can take it anywhere.

I sent it to my Kindel using the email function and it transferred easily enough.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Get Real (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL