The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2012 entrée: David Kaye » » Showing Value » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
A lot of what you hear from "Other Top Name" children Magicians is to show value in your show. They do this with the use of Backdrops, A levitation or some other big expensive prop That transforms the clients living room into a Theater. Without using any of these methods, how do you show value in your show. What is the one thing that you do that makes you stand out from your competition and get the gigs.
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Great question....I'm also looking forward to David's response
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
As one starting out - I like Bob am waiting with bated breath for the answer to that one.
Magic Rik

Life itself is magic - I just want to help a bit!

https://www.facebook.com/Magic.by.Rik
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
The answer should be obvious - talent and personality. Laughs. Entertainment.
David Kaye
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
131 Posts

Profile of David Kaye
Hi Guys, I am afraid you may be disappointed.

I travel by taxi, I carry few props, I charge a lot of money. How can this be? The kids love me. Boom! That's the answer. I am not saying bringing lots of stuff doesn't make your show better. It probably does. I would definitely bring a backdrop and probably more large stuff if I could carry it. But I cant. So I do without. And through all the years, I never felt I had to add it to make my show have more value, which bringing that stuff WOULD do.

The kids love me. They want me so much to be at their party. They think of me as a friend. The parents love me. When Junior suggests me for the party, the mom says yes. She can say no. I think if the parents don't like you, they will veto the child. So the parents should like you too. But it isn't just liking me. I make the kids laugh from the minute I walk in the door until I leave. I take my Interactions Per Minute theory seriously. During my show the kids laugh an average of once every 10 seconds for 60 minutes.

Think Jay Marshall, Billy McComb, Cardini, Stan Allen and Killer, All minimalist acts. But great acts! Or even a stand up comedian. Why would I want to see Jerry Seinfeld, who has no props, and not want to see Spiderman on Broadway which has so many props? Because Spiderman sucks. And Jerry Seinfeld makes me laugh for 90 minutes.
David Kaye / Silly Billy
www.sillymagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2012 entrée: David Kaye » » Showing Value » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL