The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Breaking News * Feds Arrest Website Owner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3..8..12..16..20..24..28~29~30 [Next]
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Wow, even an endorsement from Kim Kardashian couldn't save them.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
So why do they need sopa anyways?

So, still trying to figure out how to regulate the Internet, they take down megauploads, meanwhile, anonymous simultaneously takes down doj, mpaa, riaa, and universal music group.

http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-doj-universal-sopa-235/


Anonymous 4, Feds 1. Do they honestly think they'll be able to make a dent in this fight?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
They should not shut them down. Just infect them with a virus that affects all those who copy, use, and distribute those files.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 19:14, gdw wrote:
So, still trying to figure out how to regulate the Internet, they take down megauploads, meanwhile, anonymous simultaneously takes down doj, mpaa, riaa, and universal music group.

http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-doj-universal-sopa-235/


Anonymous 4, Feds 1. Do they honestly think they'll be able to make a dent in this fight?


Hopefully.

As for keeping score, it just depends how you do it... DOJ, RIAA, FBI...all back online. Megaupload, not so much. Those arrested, still facing charges.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Glen-

Your comment gives the impression that you aren't in favor of going after those who intentionally participate in the theft of intellectual property. Is that correct?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Speaking of copyrights, Bob...did you ever get a copy of A Prayer for Owen Meany?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Lobo-

It should have arrived today, but we are having a major ice and snow storm here in the Seattle area, so I guess delivery will be a day or two late. Am looking forward to reading it.

Best-

Bob
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Oh, sure...give Glen more ammo for the Post Office thread.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Haha. Didn't think about that, but it was insane outside today. They don't know how to handle snow out here. Back East this would have been nothing to write home about. Here it has crippled everything.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Quote:
On 2012-01-20 01:34, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Oh, sure...give Glen more ammo for the Post Office thread.


Hilarious buddy! Touche'
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
To be sure, MegaUpload was taken down on allegations of *criminal* copyright infringement on US soil. The feds didn't need SOPA because the MegaUpload guys decided to use US servers to run their site. Had they not, we would have been in SOPA territory. And they wouldn't be facing jail time. Kinda short sighted on their part I guess.

In case anyone's curious, here's the indictment against the MegaUpload guys: http://www.scribd.com/doc/78786408/Mega-Indictment
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 19:14, gdw wrote:
So, still trying to figure out how to regulate the Internet, they take down megauploads, meanwhile, anonymous simultaneously takes down doj, mpaa, riaa, and universal music group.

http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-doj-universal-sopa-235/


Anonymous 4, Feds 1. Do they honestly think they'll be able to make a dent in this fight?


But note:

http://xkcd.com/932/
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-01-20 01:13, mastermindreader wrote:
Glen-

Your comment gives the impression that you aren't in favor of going after those who intentionally participate in the theft of intellectual property. Is that correct?


Although I have respect for ip, and I consider file sharing to often be, um, inconsiderate, no, I do not support using violence against those who decide to share something they buy.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I am waiting for my local public Library to get busted. Anyone with a Library card (free) can take home many different books, CD's and DVD's without any money changing hands and no money going to the Artist's and Author's of these properties.
I often loan my DVD's and Books to Family and Friends. I guess I should be thrown in Jail or fined as well.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-01-20 08:32, irossall wrote:
I am waiting for my local public Library to get busted. Anyone with a Library card (free) can take home many different books, CD's and DVD's without any money changing hands and no money going to the Artist's and Author's of these properties.
I often loan my DVD's and Books to Family and Friends. I guess I should be thrown in Jail or fined as well.
Iven Smile


Absolutely. You are a bigger threat than all terrorists combined.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
http://xkcd.com/932/


Lol, yes, saw that earlier today. The big difference is one group is using guns and cages, the other is using ones and zeros.

Arresting these people is like arresting the postman/postmaster general for the contents of letters and packages other people mailed.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
@irossall
loaning and theft are 2 different things, your comment was way out of context and is totally wrong.
not a very good try to sound humor

@gdw - it's not sharing it's blatant theft, no matter how you try to twist it to suit your viewpoint.

wafj!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Duaut, so you are saying it's all fine if the people who download eventually give the file back to the person who uploaded it? Because that would be the defining difference there.

Newer news on something older.

http://gizmodo.com/5877740/supreme-court......in-works

I'm curious, who gets to "own" these recopyrighted works? Who does the money suddenly start gong to?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5834 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2012-01-20 10:20, gdw wrote:
Duaut, so you are saying it's all fine if the people who download eventually give the file back to the person who uploaded it? Because that would be the defining difference there.
That is absolutely not the defining difference. It would seem the difference between loaning and duplicating has escaped you. FYI calling something "file sharing" doesn't actually make it sharing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Breaking News * Feds Arrest Website Owner (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..8..12..16..20..24..28~29~30 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL