The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Breaking News * Feds Arrest Website Owner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..28~29~30 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 20:07, mastermindreader wrote:
Actually, I have an open mind on just about everything. I have no hopes of convincing you that your anarchist positions are unworkable in the real world.

The Daily Anarchist citing Somalia as an example of anarchy spurring economic growth is pretty much a bottom of the barrel argument the way I see it.

I've lost an incredible amount of money over the years due to piracy, so you'd have a pretty hard time convincing me that I've made quite a lot of money despite it.

I might add that I am a strong supporter of our form of government. It needs work, yes, but I'm not for throwing out the baby with the bathwater in favor of an anarchist dystopia.

You lost money? So you had it, and now it is gone?
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 20:17, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 20:01, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 19:27, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 17:12, gdw wrote:

Real world example of people having naturally occurring social structure and "law" without government forcing it on them.
http://dailyanarchist.com/2011/11/16/the......somalis/

"Even the BBC grudgingly admitted that 20 Years of Anarchy had spurred economic growth, especially in the telecommunications sector."

FWIW, the BBC article says no such thing. More like the telecommunications sector grew in spite of the lawlessness. Which almost certainly says more about the nature of the telecommunications sector in our modern era, than it does about Somolia.

Furthermore, the Somalia telecommunications expert quoted in the BBC article says that mobile phone operators would welcome an effective government for the security and stability it would offer.

So your point of contention is whether or not they attribute it to the lack of government?

No, my point is that the article begins by misrepresenting easily verified facts. After that, it is hard to trust or take seriously anything else it says.

What exactly did it misrepresent? Somalia's improvements happened after the government collapsed. To say telecommunications improved in spite of the lack of government is the blatant misrepresentation.

debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
Another addition to sopa in the real life

in addition to the woes of the kinkos metaphor, if you drove your friend to kinkos and made him promise that he wouldnt do anything illegal and he unknowingly photocopied a picture that he took that had a mcdonalds sign in it and he was going to use that photo in a school project. you could both go to jail.

ofcourse these things would probably not happen, but the point is that they could. and lets suppose you are an honest person that is speaking out legally against the government on some situation and they now have a chance to throw you in jail because you facebooked your grandmother a quote of your favorite movie that you share together.

I AM NOT an alarmist or an anarchist in fact I could care if the internet itself just went away but that would certainly put our country behind many others, (in fact megaupload caused many websites to cut off their ties to the united states but not to other countries. Perhaps china censors its own internet but we just did the same by going after people in another country without knowing exactly what we are doing. (sound familiar?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It would be impossible to explain to you, Glen, as the concepts of future earnings and projected revenues based on previous sales are things that you don't seem to take seriously. If I'd have been paid for every illegal copy of my works that are out there, I would have been able to retire years ago.

But this is all rather pointless, as you'll just say that no one has the right to expect payment in return for the distribution of his intellectual property.

So I'm just going to let this discussion go (again!) since you obviously feel that all ideas should be free to everyone, creators be d***ed.

Best-

Bob
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 19:52, gdw wrote:
Bob, question, are willing to change your mind on the matter, or are you just here to try and convince me?

I welcome being convinced. If someone cares to offer evidence to support the claim that one has an inherent right to control information after they voluntarily make it available to another, I really would appreciate it. Preferably something other than assertions and emotional appeals, or utilitarian arguments for that matter, as it has been clearly proven that you can make quite a lot of money from your creative endeavours without ip protection. In other words, a principled argument from the ground up.

Do your examples "clearly prove" utilitarian agruments wrong? I don't think Mr. Brooks has enough bandwidth for links to all of the stories that could show how much money has been made by a ton of people who DID have IP protection. You could post links to stories of people who smoked and didn't get cancer, too.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 20:44, gdw wrote:
Quote:
Actually, I have an open mind on just about everything. I have no hopes of convincing you that your anarchist positions are unworkable in the real world.

The Daily Anarchist citing Somalia as an example of anarchy spurring economic growth is pretty much a bottom of the barrel argument the way I see it.

I've lost an incredible amount of money over the years due to piracy, so you'd have a pretty hard time convincing me that I've made quite a lot of money despite it.

I might add that I am a strong supporter of our form of government. It needs work, yes, but I'm not for throwing out the baby with the bathwater in favor of an anarchist dystopia.

So if I enter into a contract to lease a building from you, and in reliance upon our contract, you don't rent to someone else, then I violate our contract, I presume your view is that you haven't "lost money," since the other would-be renter never put the money in your hands.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
Im sure you have lost some money bob on illegal sharing of your work and or re-selling of your work, and that is sad really, I personally own a video, book and lecture notes of yours and its all great. Your ideas are worth money and you should be rightfully paid for them.

that being said, just like hollywood is saying that it lost 500 million dollars last year, this is ridiculous. its like a resturaunt saying that they could have made a $100 if they had charged for their free mints. there is only a small percentage of people who have illegally downloaded something that would have in another circumstance paid for things.

I remember in grad school people downloading anything and everything just because they could and never watching or listening to it etc.... and then getting letters from hbo that scared them into stopping.

people losing money for their hard work is sad, but shutting down abilities to communicate, create and distribute legitimately our work just to prevent misuse of those methods is ridiculous.

if (taking what I said as true) you still believe in sopa, then you should eliminate cars, liquor, cigarettes, high cholesterol foods, etc... as they cause much more problems than illegally watching an episode of doogie howser md
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 21:00, debaser wrote:
there is only a small percentage of people who have illegally downloaded something that would have in another circumstance paid for things.

I remember in grad school people downloading anything and everything just because they could and never watching or listening to it

"a small percentage" based on what? Here's something *I* remember - bricks and mortar stores where people bought CDs and DVDs in enough quantity to pay the commercial rent, utilities, wages, and other expenses. Sam Goody's...Warehouse...Licorice Pizza...FYE... Now, millions of people don't think twice about illegal filesharing, and most of those stores are gone or going. Mere coincidence? I think if we were back in a world where your choices were to buy music or movies or not have them, you'd find that yes...people WOULD pay for them.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 20:53, mastermindreader wrote:
It would be impossible to explain to you, Glen, as the concepts of future earnings and projected revenues based on previous sales are things that you don't seem to take seriously. If I'd have been paid for every illegal copy of my works that are out there, I would have been able to retire years ago.

But this is all rather pointless, as you'll just say that no one has the right to expect payment in return for the distribution of his intellectual property.

So I'm just going to let this discussion go (again!) since you obviously feel that all ideas should be free to everyone, creators be d***ed.

Best-

Bob

You seem to assume you would have sold all those copies had they not been downloaded.

The concept of future earnings does not escape me, I just realise they are not something one "has" or owns. Something about counting eggs?

As for compensation,to begin with, you don't have a right to be compensated in the first place, not until someone offers too. You can do all the work you want, but it means nothing unless someone wants to pay you for it.
As for being payed for its distribution, Bob, you WERE compensated, and YOU were the one who distributed it. YOU put it out there. YOU were the one who made the information available in the first place.
If you can blame a person who makes it available online for the copies that result, then why not apply that same logic to the person who made it available in the first place? Again, YOU are the one who chose to put that information out there, and you were payed for doing so.

Why do you keep going to these fall back points rather than actually arguing your foundational point, that you have an inherent right to control information after you give it to others. That's the claim being made, the burden of proof is on those making it. I'm simply no longer accepting the claim just at face value.

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What's this about recorded performances and movies?
You want to hear music go hire some musicians.
You want storytime go to your local theater and support the arts.

something amiss in that argument?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 21:10, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 21:00, debaser wrote:
there is only a small percentage of people who have illegally downloaded something that would have in another circumstance paid for things.

I remember in grad school people downloading anything and everything just because they could and never watching or listening to it

"a small percentage" based on what? Here's something *I* remember - bricks and mortar stores where people bought CDs and DVDs in enough quantity to pay the commercial rent, utilities, wages, and other expenses. Sam Goody's...Warehouse...Licorice Pizza...FYE... Now, millions of people don't think twice about illegal filesharing, and most of those stores are gone or going. Mere coincidence? I think if we were back in a world where your choices were to buy music or movies or not have them, you'd find that yes...people WOULD pay for them.

Lobo, those going out of business are doing so because of competition in the market. Those who adapted with the changes in technology and the market flourished. Just look at iTunes, they did exceptionally well competing with otherwise "free" alternatives. Netflix as well, or closer to home, Penguin, and their downloads. Plenty of actual artists experimenting with foregoing ip protection all together as well, Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead, Gorillaz.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 20:58, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 20:44, gdw wrote:
Quote:

So if I enter into a contract to lease a building from you, and in reliance upon our contract, you don't rent to someone else, then I violate our contract, I presume your view is that you haven't "lost money," since the other would-be renter never put the money in your hands.

Any thing I "lose" would be covered in the contract. The same could be said about entering into negotiations to rent a house, after months on the market. You think you have an ideal potential renter, so you you aren't looking at others, but then they back out, before anything has been signed. You could have already rented it of you went with someone else, now you have to start negotiations all over again.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 20:57, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 19:52, gdw wrote:
Bob, question, are willing to change your mind on the matter, or are you just here to try and convince me?

I welcome being convinced. If someone cares to offer evidence to support the claim that one has an inherent right to control information after they voluntarily make it available to another, I really would appreciate it. Preferably something other than assertions and emotional appeals, or utilitarian arguments for that matter, as it has been clearly proven that you can make quite a lot of money from your creative endeavours without ip protection. In other words, a principled argument from the ground up.

Do your examples "clearly prove" utilitarian agruments wrong? I don't think Mr. Brooks has enough bandwidth for links to all of the stories that could show how much money has been made by a ton of people who DID have IP protection. You could post links to stories of people who smoked and didn't get cancer, too.

You can show plenty of examples of people making money robbing banks, more money than legitimate work, what's your point?

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 21:26, gdw wrote:
Lobo, those going out of business are doing so because of competition in the market.

Tenet of faith? The reports I've read suggest that over 90% of music downloads are illegal, numbering in the tens of billions. Are you quite sure that might not play a small role?

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 21:10, LobowolfXXX wrote:

"a small percentage" based on what? Here's something *I* remember - bricks and mortar stores where people bought CDs and DVDs in enough quantity to pay the commercial rent, utilities, wages, and other expenses. Sam Goody's...Warehouse...Licorice Pizza...FYE... Now, millions of people don't think twice about illegal filesharing, and most of those stores are gone or going. Mere coincidence?

Come on, this is the sort of faulty logic you are always attacking. Services like Netflix and Hulu etc., and poor business practices on the part of the CD / DVD stores, were very arguably the main culprits - not file sharing.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/articl......,00.html

"It had been clear for years that Blockbuster's model was unsustainable. Heck, Netflix was operating for six years before Blockbuster launched its own movie-by-mail service."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Small role, maybe, but you're also ignoring those who were exposed to music, movies, or shows they would otherwise never have seen or heard, and then bought things they otherwise would not have either. And, as mentioned, those who wouldn't have bought anything were they able to download them or not.
Movies are making more at the box office than ever. Online options are allowing artists to be discovered that otherwise would have never been heard from again. Though maybe I'd be willing to accept eliminating all ip infringement if it meant no Justin Beiber.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I shouldn't have made all those mix-tapes in high school. According to one contributor, that made me "scum." I don't want to be scum Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Who suggested that? Some of it's all blurring together.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I was paraphrasing. It was way back there and I'm not going on a treasure hunt over it. I was just playing anyway.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
Quote:

I remember cd stores etc.. as well. I shopped in them daily and have 4,000 cds to show for it. cd stores were going out of business fast before true downloading got a hold of music. There are so many reasons why those stores went out of business but the music industry itself was the cause of its own demise (and they admit that) one of those moments was putting anti copy protection on some cds that then wouldnt play on ipods.

I miss cd stores to and can remember a time when they were almost gone much earlier when the music industry tried to shut down all stores that were selling used cds, (which was the bread and butter of most mom and pop stores.

feel free to blame some 13 year old kid for the demise of great music and brick and mortar stores, but you are just towing the company line and they don't need help
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Breaking News * Feds Arrest Website Owner (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..28~29~30 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL