The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Breaking News * Feds Arrest Website Owner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..28~29~30
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It doesn't matter which creator or if there even is one. The point is that if certain rights are inherent, as Glen claims, they have therefore been endowed from somewhere. Rights arising solely from reasoning cannot be considered inherent. If you eliminate the notion of a metaphysical origin of rights, as Glen has done, you also eliminate the inherency he attaches to rights vis a vis privileges.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
I meant for the formulation of their arguments. I could have well said "logic for the basis" and logic is inherent in the nature of the universe.
One can reason that rights are inherent
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-02-07 20:17, mastermindreader wrote:
It doesn't matter which creator or if there even is one. The point is that if certain rights are inherent, as Glen claims, they have therefore been endowed from somewhere. Rights arising solely from reasoning cannot be considered inherent. If you eliminate the notion of a metaphysical origin of rights, as Glen has done, you also eliminate the inherency he attaches to rights vis a vis privileges.

"The point is that if certain rights are inherent, as Glen claims, they have therefore been endowed from somewhere."

That's a complete non sequitur. You just said if you have something naturally it must have been given to you.

Glenn
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I don't rely on "sky daddies" for anything. (Nor do I use such dismissive terms when I speak of other peoples faiths.) Instead, like most people, I rely on commonly accepted definitions:

in·her·ent/inˈhi(ə)rənt/
Adjective:

1. Existing in something as a permanent, essential, or characteristic attribute: "inherent dangers".
2. Vested in (someone) as a right or privilege: "the president's inherent power".

Thus, any legally vested right can be said to be inherent, including, obviously, intellectual property rights.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
I've been consistently using the first definition.

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

And, just as consistently, ignoring the second.

But again, the first definition doesn't refer to something arrived at by reason or logic, but simply to something that "is." That's where the metaphysics come in.

Be that as it may - as I noted a long time ago, this discussion is really pointless because we can't even agree on definitions, let alone the nature of rights, laws, democracies (and/or republics), etc.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
One understands what is by reason. Just because something "is" does not require metaphysics to explaine it. Wet in an inherent property of liquid, but it dies not require a metaphysical explanation. Matter has inherent properties, but we don't need metaphysical explanations. We have explanations based on reality, and the can be understood and explored with reason.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
What I don't understand is why these ideas are met with such animosity.

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

"Inherent" is not a property like "wet." The latter is a physical property of matter and can be observed. Proprietary rights, on the other hand, are not physical properties of anything.

And just because I totally disagree with the practicality and efficacy of the solutions you propose does not imply animosity. Just complete disagreement.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
I wasn't saying "inherent" is a property, I was saying "wet" is an "inherent property."

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-02-07 15:42, gdw wrote:
Self ownership is simply axiomatic.

The reality is, most of the discussion centers around different people having different axioms. (Different from each other, that is)
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I have read every single post in this thread, but for the life of me cannot understand,
why folks would upload a copy of a book, dvd, pdf, that they have paid money for?

What's in it for the uploader? Popularity, revenge against the author/creator etc?
Would someone please enlighten me, for I've never figured it out.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27150 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Market and graffiti ethos aside, try getting back to Dan's question.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-02-09 14:09, Devious wrote:
I have read every single post in this thread, but for the life of me cannot understand,
why folks would upload a copy of a book, dvd, pdf, that they have paid money for?

What's in it for the uploader? Popularity, revenge against the author/creator etc?
Would someone please enlighten me, for I've never figured it out.

There are similar factors to those involved in magic "exposure," that is online attention. However I think one of the larger infuences is reciprocity.
Both in the manner of initial trade, ie. I have file a, you have file b, we "trade" and we both have a and b, as well as "giving back" to the torrent "community.". The latter likely evolving from the former.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-02-09 14:13, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Market and graffiti ethos aside, try getting back to Dan's question.

Are you referring to the question of a right to own property in the first place?

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Read this article on ip and 3D printing abd thought it was a worthwhile read:
http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1......facebook

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Canadian bill they are trying to pass, and actually have been trying to for nearly a decade I believe, similar to the american pcfop bill.

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/6316/125/

The conservatives here are trying to sell it with the same rhetoric the american bill has written right into its name.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Breaking News * Feds Arrest Website Owner (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..28~29~30
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.36 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL