The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2012 entrée: David Kaye » » Another queston from David to you » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Kaye
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
131 Posts

Profile of David Kaye
Hi Gang,

I have another question I would like to hear your feelings about.

Do you think that doing kid shows, performing magic for children, makes you a better all-around magician? I do. But I would like to hear your responses.

Thanks for taking time to kelp me with this. This is more research for an article I am writing.
david
David Kaye / Silly Billy
www.sillymagic.com
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Pure and simple: Yes! It's made me examine my other shows and keeping it lively and moving....and again, having fun!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
255 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
David,
I almost started this very thread myself. Yes, It absolutely helps your overall abilities. We are all children inside after all. I've benefited greatly from studying your book & dvd. Focusing on entertainment value over the actual magic is just as important in magic for adults as it is in children's magic. The magic may need to be stronger for the former, but does not lessen the need to be entertaining as well.

I also love the confidence that comes with understanding each age group from infants to the geriatric. You can entertain each person in a mixed age audience all on their own level. All at the same time. No one is excluded, and there is no need to feel uncomfortable when confronted with a spectator who is not the preferred age.

I would encourage EVERY magician to study your material regardless of their target audience. They will be enlightened.

Thank You for your work,
Ken
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of asgar
In children shows,I can be myself(the crazy and weird guy ) and it helped me to break the ice in my other shows.Now I don't feel uncomfortable to be myself in the adult shows and things that I do are no more artificial to me,I actually enjoy the show rather than taking it as a job.So everybody is having fun and I'm the only one getting paid for it.
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I was a mediocre wannabe until a promoter started giving me two gigs a week, every week, all theatre shows for kids. At the end of a few years I was ready to tackle anything. It vastly improved my adult work. I have a friend who is quickly developing into a world class comedy magician (Steve Spade). Early in his career I advised him to do plenty of kids shows. It went against the grain with him, but he did them, and now he acknowledges that the kids shows made him quicker and sharper.

Keith Barry cut his teeth on kids shows, and he hasn't done too badly. I wasn't able to watch his latest show, because the entire tour sold out.

Apart from doing plenty of kids shows, the one thing I recommend for performers it to join Toastmasters International and become good speakers. It is the other thing that will make vast improvements in your work in a short time.
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island
402 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
I think it does. It keeps you thinking or as a performer, and less like an actor with a script. With adults, there is less of a chance to feed from them to go in another direction, and to basically keep your mind sharp. Like Asgar stated, you look at it less as a job, and more of an experience.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2365 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Because children have not mastered the art of kindness yet, they are quick to tell you they know the secret to a trick, or your timing is off, or the misdirection is not working, or you flashed a secret device, etc. With every show I can change it until I get it right, or admit that the trick is not as strong as I had hoped.

This honest feedback by the children has taught me more about timing and misdirection than any magician possibly could.

Entertaining children has taught me much about humility also, but that’s another story for another day.Smile

David,

Where/when are you planning to publish this article? I’d love to read it.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
David Kaye
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
131 Posts

Profile of David Kaye
These are fantastic answers. THank you guys so much.

anyone else?
David Kaye / Silly Billy
www.sillymagic.com
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
I have only started doing this cool stuff - But, I have been an educator for 40 plus years and have taught everything from Graduate School all the way up to forth grade. And. IMHO, those who have spent serious time with the younger set are far better at dealing with the other ages.
Magic Rik

Life itself is magic - I just want to help a bit!

https://www.facebook.com/Magic.by.Rik
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I agree. In any context there is huge difference between performing
to yourself versus live people.

Yet, the thing I like about performing for children is that they
are not afraid to challenge you and/or let you know if you are
any good or not.

I also believe that flight time is very important. You will
get verbal feedback, implied feedback, or will not be called...

Yet, the key is to learn from all this and to constantly look at
what you are doing and question what you are doing and/or
reactions that you saw...

Also, to me, doing childrens shows requires the same effort for any show
from the show itself, to the business side, and marketing side...
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13419 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I absolutely agree that doing shows for kids makes you a better entertainer.

It's far easier for me to be bold and try out new things in kids shows.
I am a kid at heart and perorming for kids and being myself around them gave me the confidence to be more myself in my adult comedy stand-up act.

In fact, one of the key routines in my adult act owes much thanks to a routine in Seriously Silly.
It's very "ME" and one day it just occured to me to use it my adult act. I've been using it ever since. Every show.
I use similar gags like I do in my kids show, almost as if I'm doing a kid's show, and it's very well received and fun to perform.

Performing for kids has really opened the doors to new creative ideas for my adult act.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
David Kaye
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
131 Posts

Profile of David Kaye
Frank,

Which routine in Seriously Silly inspired your adult routine? That is wonderful to hear.
David Kaye / Silly Billy
www.sillymagic.com
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day David
Yes - performing for audiences with children keeps me on the edge (learning edge).
I appreciate the complexity of the audience made up of different age groups and therefore their different ways of interacting.
As Ken mentioned above - not having mastered the social skill of the "art of kindness" ensures situations where I am challenged to improve my technique.
Thanks for taking the time to chat with us at the Café.
Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2012 entrée: David Kaye » » Another queston from David to you » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL