The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Overseas Shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Hey friends! I'm writing here to get a perspective of what you guys do when you are hired to perform in another country. Say you can't bring your own dancers/assistants due to their own commitments back home. how do you bring your illusions over? How do you charge?How much time is spent training new dancers?

I'm asking because I've been handling a few overseas assignments and boy, its a lot of planning. I'm interested to find out what you go through... Especially with the assistants and props!
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
What a pity...
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Kyle -
A lot depends upon the producer and budget. Also the type of show. (Are you to be part of a revue show at a resort with a long run, or is it a corporate-style "one nighter" or a multi-city tour?) Is the venue a theater, arena or hotel? Depending upon the size of, and amount of props, the air freight can be substantial. A complete manifest with the contents of each case/crate noted is imperative for import and export. Be sure your contract includes the airpfare for the props (and yourself) and any special needs (such as hotel accomodations, ground transportation, salaries for assistants being hired overseas, etc.) These types of jobs require a LOT of advance planning. Be sure the producer is legitimate and you have a written contract which outlines everything. Remember you can still get stiffed (not paid) and have very little recourse because you are a foreigner in their country. Get a deposit in advance, before you leave. Don't forget the passports, visas and work permits needed for the country where you're working. Also find out about the tax situation. Will local and government taxes be deducted from your paycheck before you are paid? Can you take the money out of the country?

Do your homework. The show and training assistants are the least of your concerns.

Good luck!
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Yea David. So many things to think about. Makes me think if there should be a standard procedure to make life for us easier. Thanks for the post!
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1221 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
You also need to make sure you negotiate your fees using your own currency! When I went on a tour in Canada I had negotiated my price per show and all was agreed. The one thing I didn't specify was that I was to be paid in American dollars....not Canadian. The difference between the two currencies was only a few cents, but in total turned to be about a thousand dollars less than I thought I was getting.....LOL...Pennies do add up! I had to use a customs broker to get my equipment in and out of the country and the booker was in charge of all that.
LaurensMalter
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
131 Posts

Profile of LaurensMalter
Quote:
On 2012-01-22 13:11, w_s_anderson wrote:
You also need to make sure you negotiate your fees using your own currency! When I went on a tour in Canada I had negotiated my price per show and all was agreed. The one thing I didn't specify was that I was to be paid in American dollars....not Canadian. The difference between the two currencies was only a few cents, but in total turned to be about a thousand dollars less than I thought I was getting.....LOL...Pennies do add up! I had to use a customs broker to get my equipment in and out of the country and the booker was in charge of all that.

If you assume you're getting paid in Euro's then it's worse Smile
cc-magic
View Profile
New user
las vegas
89 Posts

Profile of cc-magic
Hi Kyle,

As you know, I take my show & equipment and then train dancers & crew at the venue. Time management is always an issue as there is usually a limited amount of time in the actual space. I begin with giving a DVD of the show to the dancers, a technical DVD to the lighting guy, and my sound to the sound man. Everyone has a cue sheet with full details. First we build the props and find out where they will live, hang the drops, and locate run-around. Then, I begin with training the dancers in choreography and finally move onto the magic. I plan to stay up late with the light guy as lighting can take up to 10 hours. Red Bull works wonders. Always bring some for the light guy since he's staying up too.

Once everyone knows their part, you can do a talk through. (Run the show with your mic on and talk through all the cues)

After that, you can do a full run through. By then it's probably time to open the house and do the show. Adrenaline will get you through the first one and it's the second show that everyone needs to keep focused. (Remind them and yourself not to let your guard down)

Plan on two 18 hour days to build, rehearse, light, tech, dress-run, and open the show. That's if you know all the cues going in and have a good group of crew and dancers.

Make sure the dancers have fishnets and shoes. Your costumes should be in two pieces (top and skirt) to allow for different size girls. Or, you need to carry extra unitards, etc. in case of tall or short dancers. Oh, and hopefully they speak the same language as you.

Air Freight is the best way to ship the props and it's the fastest. By ship can take up to a month. That's one month you can't work with those props, so plan accordingly.

Your fee should include the show, travel, shipping of props, and all possible expenses.

If you have more questions, PM me and I'll let you know what I can.

Best!
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Hey Charles! Thanks for chiming in ! I'll PM you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Overseas Shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL