The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Tips on gluing playing cards? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
I want to make a double-faced card that's not available in the usual double-faced packs or special assortment decks. It's not something a spectator will handle, so I'm not concerned about splitting cards; I just want a reliable way to glue two cards back-to-back.

Is a glue stick best? Is there a particular type or brand of glue stick that works best with cards? Do I need to apply the glue in a specific way?

What are your tips? Thanks in advance!
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Glue and glue stick can, I believe, make the gimmick stiff. Rubber cement for me. Flexible, removable and undoable Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
If you use rubber cement, use thin coats on both sides for a more permanent bond. You might also want to make a template help you glue the cards square together. There are also some strong spray adhesives you can use. Same thing, spray both sides forcacmore permanent bond. Based on my experience, I don't think a glue stick will hold well enough and long enough.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Dollar store sells a permanent roll on adhesive that works.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Thanks, people. Good to have some tips!
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
What about spray mount adhesive.
Spray one side for removable, bot sides for permanent binding.
Dorianmagic
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Dorianmagic
Though it's not necessary, I sometimes lightly sand the surfaces to be glued - just enough pressure to take the sheen off. I'd recommend "Best Test" paper cement. (we used to call it rubber cement), available at Michaels or any art supply store. I find other brands harden over time and often discolor the outer surfaces leaving a yellow stain. One coat is usually more than enough and affords enough working time to align the surfaces more precisely.

I prepped a Hunday 500 this way more than 5 years ago and it's still in good shape.

With not too much effort you can also peel away the glued surfaces and start over. Use a rubber cement "Pick-up" (a kind of gum eraser available in art stores) to remove run off glue without a trace.

Stick to it!
Bob
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
I've successfully used Copydex, which is a kind of rubber cement.

Barry
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Looks like rubber cement gets the majority of votes. I'll pick some up and commence to gluin' cards. Thanks, folks! Smile
Jeff Kellogg
View Profile
New user
Boston
52 Posts

Profile of Jeff Kellogg
Rough up the sides of the cards to be glued to each other so that the glue will stick (high grit sandpaper)
the best glue is elmers glue.
thinnest lightest coat possible.
put it between wax paper and in a book. put tons of pressure on top of it an dlet dry.

if you really want to get real- use phoenix decks for performance- and buy a double decker phoenix deck and glue those cards together for gimmicks.

gimmicks will be the same size as the other cards- and all home made!
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Phoenix Double Decker -- that's a new one on me. Great idea!
freewayh
View Profile
Regular user
Mexico
112 Posts

Profile of freewayh
Ive used glue, plain and simples but in small amounts and I use a vice like item to pres the card for a night and that has done the trick for me.Just make sure you tighten or press firmly and that way the cards don't get humid.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
I finally got some time this weekend to try making some custom gaff cards. I brushed a very thin layer of Elmer's rubber cement on the "inside" surface of each card, then let it dry for 30 seconds before pressing them together and lining them up. Maybe five minutes later, I was using them to practice a trick over and over. They stayed together, stayed square, and didn't stick to the other cards. Works for me! Now I've got 'em in a packet wallet with a little weight on it.

Thanks to everybody for the advice!
Viano2
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Viano2
Now I have to try this. I always shied away from this sort of DIY.

Viano
blackstone99
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of blackstone99
3M Spray adhesive
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
I always found using rubber cement worked best. Additionally I use a small roller, like a rolling pin and roll the cards back and forth, side to side, up and down etc. Never needed to put the cards under a weight or book as the rolling secured cards together perfectly and got rid of any small amount of excess glue too.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I like rubber cement also.
glue both sides and let dry
before sticking.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Thanks again to everyone for their advice. The double-sided cards I made using rubber cement are still going strong, and I've been practicing the trick I made them for at least 2-3 times a day. It's clear the cards are going to get discolored from use before they come apart or stop looking like single cards.

This experience has been a confidence builder. I no longer feel wary of tricks I find in books or in download form that use gaff cards but don't come with those cards. I know that, as long as the spectator doesn't handle the cards, I can make convincing gaffs myself and not worry about where I'm going to buy a Jack with a Joker on its back (or whatever).
Mungo5000
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Mungo5000
Any advice on the process of putting to "halfs" together? I found out that perfectly smooth splitted layers will get bend while sticking them together... Just in the process of getting bulbs out between the layers those bulbs will leave bends because I just rubbed along the complete surface to get rif of em... I hope you understand what I mean... Need help!
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Magic wax works fine too
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Tips on gluing playing cards? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL