The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2012 entrée: David Kaye » » Need Some Guidance For Kid's Shows (7-13 y.o.) » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nnakao
View Profile
New user
El Sobrante, California
5 Posts

Profile of nnakao
I am just getting back into magic after being away for a few years. I have always been into close-up magic and usually performed for teenagers and adults. But, I have recently been asked to do a few magic shows for kids. One of them being for the local Boy's & Girl's Club of about 50 kids.

So, I am a little nervous for some obvious reasons. Some being:

1 - I am rusty from the lack of practicing these past few years.
2 - I have very little experience with kid's shows.
3 - I don't have many platform/stage show style illusions/tricks.

I know there is a ton of advise everyone can give me, but I think what I need to know the most is:

1 - Are there any basic "Must Follow Rules" that I need to know.
2 - With a limited budget, is there 1 or 2 illusions/tricks that are recommended for kid's shows. I plan on adding a lot to my stash, but at this time, I am going through a very hard time and must be careful with my money.

Any help with this would be awesome. I have a good amount of time before the shows. I only agreed to the shows that I knew would give me time to practice and get ready for. Thanks in advance everyone!
Nicholas D. Nakao
Magician Site: www.n2illusions.com
Magician Social Site: www.n2illusions.mixxt.com
Email: info@n2illusions.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I give lot’s of advice…. I also have lots of tricks….I am in San Francisco…and I think the Boy’s and Girl’s club is a great organization.

Depending on the day you need to perform, if I am not doing a show myself, I can help you out by lending you some of my tricks on the day of the show; if this is the help you need, my phone number is 415-816-0099.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2291 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I hope David shares some insights into the psychology of the 7-13 age group. That range seems to intersect so many transitions, and the thought processes of the kids are changing rapidly but not necessarily predictably.

As far as spending money, your best bang for the buck is books. First up, get David's book "Seriously Silly" - it addresses every question you have about how to think about performing.

Also, read through the Little Darlings forum here on the Magic Café. Your questions have been asked and answered many times. Find your performing style, and you will find answers that mean something to you.

Don't forget the library. Read their magic books - and don't forget the Juvenile section. These books are loaded with tricks you can make yourself. Even if you don't use what you make in your show, you can get an idea of the kinds of things that might appeal to you.

If you're anywhere near Howie, he's good! Milk him for all you can get!! :8>)

Ed
David Kaye
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
131 Posts

Profile of David Kaye
I agree with Ed, buy my book, Seriously Silly, and read The Little Darlings section of the Café. I don't think you should draw tricks from the magic books for kids. 7-13 year old know all that stuff, or it will be too easy to figure out. My book has a section on performing for different ages.

Additional Must Follow ideas:
- If they are 7-13 you can do tricks that you do for teenagers and adults. Much better than aiming low and doing kiddie tricks like run, rabbit, run.
- Talk with them before the show to get them on your good side. Just chatting. Tell them how much fun it is going to be and tell them if they know the secrets to the tricks to keep them to themselves and you will talk about it after the show (but don't). The big risk is the calling out. It will seem to the parents as though they know all your tricks, even though they don't. But it could start an avalanche of yelling out.
- There are two motivators that control this age group the most. First, they are sensitive to teasing about boys vs girls. At 7 the sexes begin dividing and towards 11 they start attrtacting. So this topic is rife with jokes that will get a rise out of the kids. Second, you need to eliminate all explanations for how the trick works. Though this takes practice, you have to say along the way, "My hands are empty." "Look at this thing and make sure it is ordinary." If you don't then at the end of the trick they will claim the method was "it was in your hands."
- If you want to buy something that will be good get any Turn It Around trick. Just do one, but it sucks them in using their weakness of knowing everything, then they find out they were wrong. Keeps them from getting too cocky.
David Kaye / Silly Billy
www.sillymagic.com
nnakao
View Profile
New user
El Sobrante, California
5 Posts

Profile of nnakao
Thank you very much, Howie, Ed, and David! All of your advice is helpful. A few people told me, "It's more about making them laugh than performing magic." I see what they are trying to get across, but I don't want to lose too much of the magic. That's what I love! I can definitely use the Boys vs Girls angle... I have before with my niece and nephew. I remember putting them against themselves with tricks like "Tricky Bottles" and challenging them to see who followed instruction better. At the end, it was a tie, and all in good fun.

Howie, I really appreciate the offer, I will keep it in mind. I'm hoping to get things together soon, myself... hopefully Smile

Ed, I always seem to forget about the library. I have DVDs/books that recommend them, but I still always forget. Thanks for the reminder again! I work down the street from my local library. I need to start being stubborn and get down there.

David, I am a volunteer at the club so some off the kids already know me. I plan to get more involved with them this year, as well. I love kids, but for some reason, performing in front of a bunch of them has made me a little nervous. I have DJ'd parties and taught business classes, but kids... I don't know why, haha. About saying the "My hands are empty" and such, I am usually good about that, even with adults. But, now that you mention it, I think I do it less with kids. I think I need to change my mind-frame. I think I am trying to make things too simple and not giving them the credit they deserve. And, yes, I have been called out by a kid, thinking he/she knew how it works. I see the downside of that, even if they are wrong. That is something I will have to work at.

Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate everything. Hope you enjoyed your guess time here David. I have until late spring to get things together. That's when everything starts. Time for me to get busy. Thanks, take care!
Nicholas D. Nakao
Magician Site: www.n2illusions.com
Magician Social Site: www.n2illusions.mixxt.com
Email: info@n2illusions.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2012 entrée: David Kaye » » Need Some Guidance For Kid's Shows (7-13 y.o.) » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL