The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Gemini Twins - too perfect? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Myrddin
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
107 Posts

Profile of Myrddin
It's the very first trick Fulves' "More Self-Working Card Tricks", p. 1. Smile
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
OH I was wondering why I couldn't find it in Self-Working Card Tricks!!! lol thanks! Smile
~joeKing
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Me too, thanks!
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
I'm certain I'm far from the first person to think of this, but it occured to me semi-recently that the Gemini Twins principle can be used (perhaps even more effectively) as a double location. Here's what I do:

Put a pair of easy to remember mates on the top and bottom of the deck (like the red aces). Shuffle maintaining the two cards in their place. Hand to the deck to the first participant. Turn your back and have them follow your instructions: They are to deal cards one at a time on the table stopping whenever they feel the impulse to. They are then to look at the last card dealt, memorize it, replace it back on the dealt-out pile and then place the remaining cards in their hand on top of them, squaring the pack. They can now give the deck as many complete cuts as they would like. Have them pass the deck to another person and have that person do the exact same thing as the first participant, once again cutting as many times as they want at the end. Only now do you turn around.

Two card have been memorized and lost in the deck under the fairest of conditions with your back turned the entire time. Now you take the deck back and run through it. Of course both selected cards will be under each of the red aces. Cut one of the selected cards to the top casually under the guise of looking for the cards. Upjog one of the selected cards. Remove it and show it to be one of the selected cards. This is effect #1. Now lay the first card face-up on top the deck (on top of the face-down second selected card). Have the other participant name their card aloud. As they do, lift the top two cards as one and do a snap change allowing the cards to flip over as one as you bring them up your arm to rub on your sleeve. An instant transformation of the first selected card to the second!

P.S. - If this should be in Secret Sessions instead of here, just let me know.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Hank Shand-Handy
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Hank Shand-Handy
Marko

I don't see how the specs can cut the deck at any point.
Am I missing something?

Hank
I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Woops, my mistake. The deck can only be given complete cuts after BOTH cards have been selected.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
David Le
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
365 Posts

Profile of David Le
What's the effect of Gemini Twins? Smile
van
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of van
Las Vegas Kardma by Alan Ackerman has several variations of the Gemini Twins procedure using $bills and 3 or 4 matches.
Later Ya'll

Van
MarkusT
View Profile
New user
Germany
54 Posts

Profile of MarkusT
You can look up Gemini Twins at amazon.com with the 'look inside' feature
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
1609 Posts

Profile of Ross W
This is great trick! Yes the discrepancy is very occasionally noticed, but I find with a bit of what we magicians love to call "byplay", it's seldom remarked - rather like the delay in the x-cut force.

Talking of which, when I can be bothered, I sometimes force the two cards at the beginning rather than selecting them myself. It's a fab twist!
Author
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
[quote]"That if a trick is presented in a manner that has, from the spectators view, no 'possible' explanations it causes them to try to reconstruct the trick and work out how it worked."
[quote]
I just performed this effect tonight and experienced this reconstruction. Unfortunately, I've performed for stock analysts whose jobs are to find discrepancies with information in the market so their job IS reconstruction and finding discrepancies.

It is too perfect with the presentation and patter from More Self Working Card Tricks and I think it can easily be "figured out" if someone goes back through the motions patiently in their head.

This is a favorite of mine, so I like the idea of having them name two cards with a cull, or even the forcing of 2 cards. I may also just remove the two sets of cards and I'll take the deck aside out of site once the spectator if finished dealing from the deck to eliminate that prop for their mental reconstruction.

Great ideas. You folks are brilliant.

Good topic!
Mike
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of Picard
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2003, Ross W wrote:
I do this trick regularly, but have twice been called, as the spectator spots the "discrepancy" and says, "but that's the card above it, not the one I stopped at."

It's a good trick, and worth risking!

Quote:
On Nov 23, 2003, Mike Walton wrote:

I just performed this effect tonight and experienced this reconstruction. Unfortunately, I've performed for stock analysts whose jobs are to find discrepancies with information in the market so their job IS reconstruction and finding discrepancies.

It is too perfect with the presentation and patter from More Self Working Card Tricks and I think it can easily be "figured out" if someone goes back through the motions patiently in their head.

This is a favorite of mine, so I like the idea of having them name two cards with a cull, or even the forcing of 2 cards. I may also just remove the two sets of cards and I'll take the deck aside out of site once the spectator if finished dealing from the deck to eliminate that prop for their mental reconstruction.

Good topic!
Mike

Sorry for resurrecting a 15 year old thread, but I think it may be of help to everyone who's still performing this effect. So here we have 2 cases of performers being caught by smarter folks in the audience who managed to reconstruct the trick. While Gemini Twins flies by most audiences easily I've also had cases where people realized I was showing the 'wrong' cards at the end. It's simply NOT 100% foolproof. If you are doing official performance most likely nobody will call you out (even if they realize what's going on) but do a casual one for a group of (intelligent) friends and you WILL be called out from time to time no matter how great you perform it.
Also I've had people ask me why are we taking the right card and not the other neighbour one (they didn't necessarily figure out the trick but just inquired why prefer one over the other).
My solution?
After the 2 deals have been done and before spreading the deck I ask them if they prefer LEFT or RIGHT and to think well because it's an important decision. If they say right I do the normal spread (from left to right) and take out cards to the right of the prediction cards (also showing that the left one wouldn't have been a match). If they say left I simply do reverse spread (from right to left) and take out cards to the left of the prediction cards (which will now be the correct ones). The emphasis is on right-left instead of top-bottom AND if they try to reconstruct it the right-left choice will throw them off completely. Also there is a nice convincer at the end when they realize that if they had said the other side the trick would have failed. I think this simple idea prevents any kind of successful reconstruction and also makes the overall effect much more impressive.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Excellent thinking Picard!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6080 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Al Ackerman's work on this plot is required reading.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
487 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
I had a G Twins conundrum myself that produced some interesting ideas:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=2

Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2018, magicfish wrote:
Al Ackerman's work on this plot is required reading.

I absolutely agree my friend!
martyjacobs
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1052 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
John Guastaferro also has some interesting work on this plot, based on Allan Ackerman's ideas.

Offering a choice between left and right, and then spreading the pack works well. But I usually perform in situations with limited table space. This makes spreading the cards impractical. This is my solution:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15vog......=sharing

I shared it a while ago on my blog, which is no longer available. A few people have asked about it, so I thought I'd make it available again here. It has served me well and makes retrograde analysis difficult, if not impossible. It also emphasises the apparent random nature of the selection process.

Marty
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1519 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Thanks for sharing this, Marty.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5837 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2018, Picard wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2003, Ross W wrote:
I do this trick regularly, but have twice been called, as the spectator spots the "discrepancy" and says, "but that's the card above it, not the one I stopped at."

It's a good trick, and worth risking!

Quote:
On Nov 23, 2003, Mike Walton wrote:

Good topic!
Mike

Sorry for resurrecting a 15 year old thread, but I think it may be of help to everyone who's still performing this effect. So here we have 2 cases of performers being caught by smarter folks in the audience who managed to reconstruct the trick. While Gemini Twins flies by most audiences easily I've also had cases where people realized I was showing the 'wrong' cards at the end. It's simply NOT 100% foolproof. If you are doing official performance most likely nobody will call you out (even if they realize what's going on) but do a casual one for a group of (intelligent) friends and you WILL be called out from time to time no matter how great you perform it.
Also I've had people ask me why are we taking the right card and not the other neighbour one (they didn't necessarily figure out the trick but just inquired why prefer one over the other).
My solution?
After the 2 deals have been done and before spreading the deck I ask them if they prefer LEFT or RIGHT and to think well because it's an important decision. If they say right I do the normal spread (from left to right) and take out cards to the right of the prediction cards (also showing that the left one wouldn't have been a match). If they say left I simply do reverse spread (from right to left) and take out cards to the left of the prediction cards (which will now be the correct ones). The emphasis is on right-left instead of top-bottom AND if they try to reconstruct it the right-left choice will throw them off completely. Also there is a nice convincer at the end when they realize that if they had said the other side the trick would have failed. I think this simple idea prevents any kind of successful reconstruction and also makes the overall effect much more impressive.
In the December 2014 issue of Genii, Caleb Wiles had published the same approach of asking the spectator if he/she preferred left or right in his Paparazzi Packet Trick, p22. A small packet version of the Gemini Twins plot. I believe I read about this idea previous to reading Caleb’s effect.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4715 Posts

Profile of landmark
Or if the spec names LEFT, spread the deck and ask him or her to take out the face-up card and the card to the left of it (from the spec's point of view it will be the mate).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Gemini Twins - too perfect? (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL