The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » The History of Orginal Signed Bottle cap in Bottle (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I've told this story before... but never on a public forum.
In the last few years, there has been a plethora of routines where the cap of the bottle has reappeared inside. There are several out there..

Many people credit Michael Close as one of the originators... but I have to say...Michael was using MY routine. I came up with it when I was just 16 years old.. and performed it for MANY at Lou Tannen's Magic Camp in 1982 or 83, including Jay Sankey and possibly Jonny Ace Palmer.

For no other reason other than historical accuracy, I was one of the FIRST to put a bottle cap in a bottle.. and I know I was the first to be able to take a SIGNED bottle cap and put it in the bottle.. and allow the spectator to take it home as a souvenir. Michael Close and I had a long converstion some years after I performed mine... establishing a line of direct connection through a friend that described my routine to him. Michael Closes's routine and methond were virtually identical to the one I'd used about 10 years earlier!

There are many versions of this now.. and many use my orignal method of bending the cap..putting it in the bottle.. and unbending it. It would be nice to get the credit that I've deserved for the last 30 years... but it's more important to let people know the true history behind it.

Have any doubts? Jay Sankey will know. He saw it live... at tannens'... 30 years ago... and was impressed.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I'M S SORRY.. Please forget that I ever wrote Micahel Close.. it was not him. It was Michael Weber.
newguy
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of newguy
Utter nonsense.
Spoke to Webber, he knows where the idea came from and it was not you.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
New guy... that is not the truth... he got the idea from a conversation with Jay Sankey.... and Jay got it from me in 1983.

I have proof of all of it.. including notes from a converstaion I had with Dante Larson.. and with Mr. Weber himself around 1990.

If his memory is that bad.. it's not my fault.

Any other questions? Have Mr Weber get in touch with me directly...
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I had a LONG conversation with Jay Sankey today.. he not only confirmed that I was the first one to do this effect (around 1983-84) but he also confirmed that he MAY have been the connecting string.. especially considering that the routines were virtually identical.. not only the GENERAL routine.. but many of the nuances that I used in the sticker switch.

So.. on that note.. the timeline is confirmed... and I'm not going to have to defend myself or post here anymore.

However.. when the final book is done on the subject.. I hope that credit is give where it is due.
newguy
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of newguy
Weber used his effect at the Steven's Vegas contest in 1981. Did he use time travel to take "your" idea?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » The History of Orginal Signed Bottle cap in Bottle (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL