The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Duel VS Promystic proximity (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
freewayh
View Profile
Regular user
Mexico
112 Posts

Profile of freewayh
Hey guys I want some gimmick which doest the effect this 2 products can make, so I wanted to ask you which would you pick, I know duel(outlaw) is way cheeper but not always cheap means good so what do you thinkg, are there any particual favorites? or do you know of some other product to do which hand effect. thank you.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3048 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I have Duel and it works perfectly. Very unassuming since it is made out of wood.

You cant go wrong with any Promystic products, they are also first rate.
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
I do not own duel but I am sure the product as all of Ricks products are outstanding.But I do own pro mystic products I can assure you there are of the finest I ever saw and way to underpriced.They are so great I wish he never released them.I am also a fan of Christopher Taylor's product.Guess you have to make a deccision might be a hard one.
Boo de Hoop
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
101 Posts

Profile of Boo de Hoop
Quote:
On 2012-01-22 21:45, freewayh wrote:
Hey guys I want some gimmick which doest the effect this 2 products can make, so I wanted to ask you which would you pick, I know duel(outlaw) is way cheeper but not always cheap means good so what do you thinkg, are there any particual favorites? or do you know of some other product to do which hand effect. thank you.

Why do you want to use a gimmick? What about a real "read" of the body language?
Sorry for my English! My German is a little bit better ;-)
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2132 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Quote:
On 2012-01-23 11:40, Boo de Hoop wrote:

Why do you want to use a gimmick? What about a real "read" of the body language?

Such comments are often made by performers who distain the use of electronics as somehow taking an easy path and avoiding the training and effort required to gain a specific skill. Regardless of wether that is what motivates your comment, I would like to thank you for making it as it raises a topic that is of special interest to me.

The decision to use such an electronic gimmick is not simply a matter of wanting to avoid training and practice. Those who do chose to use electronics for such a reason do so at the risk of creating poor magic. Basically, the decision should be based on whether the performer sees a DISTINCT THEATRICAL ADVANTAGE to the gimmicks use. Additionally the performer should consider (probably to a lesser extent) that the overall effect created by the "body read" method you mentioned has a certain feel to it. The effect created by the use of an electronic device has a very different overall feel to it. Which one a performer prefers depends on preference and taste, not to mention the context the effect will be performed in.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Boo de Hoop
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
101 Posts

Profile of Boo de Hoop
I do use Electronic gimmicks, for example something made by a person called Christopher Taylor Smile

But IMHO you should always think first, if the electronic way is the best way. Sometimes it is the best way, but sometimes the not gimmicked way is the better one.

I hope you understand what I mean. It's hard for me to explain in English:-(
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2132 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Quote:
On 2012-01-23 14:17, Boo de Hoop wrote:
I do use Electronic gimmicks, for example something made by a person called Christopher Taylor Smile

:lol:
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
freewayh
View Profile
Regular user
Mexico
112 Posts

Profile of freewayh
Thank you for the words but I'm not a pro magician I'm just a hobby and do it in my spare time, most of the time when I do magic its to ppl who has alcohol in the blood so we all end with a good time and lots of laughter so that's why I want it other than that I do like to practice but I really want one this.
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1523 Posts

Profile of Simon (Ted) Edwards
If it's just a hobby then only you can decide if such devices are worth your money.

My guess is that you will enjoy using them so, as long as you can afford them, go for it!

But if you read a lot and want to save money, there are often ways to achieve similar effects without using electronics.

T.
freewayh
View Profile
Regular user
Mexico
112 Posts

Profile of freewayh
Thank you all I do like reading and I know some "basic" methods for getting this effect without a gimmick but ive found that when going for a double or nothing it gets harder, but if you know some good method to find the right hand several times in a row I would like to hear about it.
Boo de Hoop
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
101 Posts

Profile of Boo de Hoop
If the audiance is drunk, it is extremly hard to manage them.
So it could happen, that they try to cheat you. With some of the gimmicks you will fail then. (Hope you understand why.)
And it also could happen, that somebody tries to examine your ha**s or sl**ves.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
With Duel there is nothing in your hands or sleeves (just a heads up) A full body search would be telling, but that would be a little awkward for a spec to do Smile
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
goshawk
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of goshawk
Quote:
On 2012-01-25 04:28, Roth wrote:
With Duel there is nothing in your hands or sleeves (just a heads up) A full body search would be telling, but that would be a little awkward for a spec to do Smile

Rick PLEASE see your pms and emails.....PLEASE!
Alan
freewayh
View Profile
Regular user
Mexico
112 Posts

Profile of freewayh
Thank you guys for all of your thoughts, I have picked duel from the 2 but, I wanted to ak you how hard do you think I could create a series of effects which don't look the same with this kind of gimmick, I mena I don't want it to be a one effect gimmick.
kevin carmean
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of kevin carmean
Duel is outstanding! The wood piece is beyound suspect and the aged look is very well done and hardly weights anything at all. The head/tails is an added plus. Very well made. I have some promystic stuff and it is great as well.

Kevin
prestidig
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of prestidig
I want a Duel and have been researching symbols to customize it. I found this link and just thought I'd share it because it's the best I've found so far.
http://symboldictionary.net/

I'm debating between a spiral-sun/moon theme or a happy human/empty-set theme. I can't make up my mind. What do you think?
aukt
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of aukt
I had two 'duels' and both of them fell apart. Very bad quality.

Also - They're massive! Make sure you only perform for people with giant hands!

I do not recommend this product. It's yesterday's man.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2012-05-20 18:00, aukt wrote:
I had two 'duels' and both of them fell apart. Very bad quality.

Also - They're massive! Make sure you only perform for people with giant hands!

I do not recommend this product. It's yesterday's man.

Two Duels "fell apart"? You should have contacted us, I've never had a Duel "fall apart" in 3 years

Massive?

They are hardly "massive"

There is a picture of one in someones hand, I think that shows the size.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
aukt
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of aukt
I did contact you - but you were going through one of your 'not replying to email' stages that have been well documented - even in the last few weeks!

And there are many other reports of them falling apart across this and other forums. Tony I's is just one I remember reading about disintegrating. Ask him

For me Outlaw is one of those firms that just aren't worth the hassle.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2012-05-20 18:55, aukt wrote:
And there are many other reports of them falling apart across this and other forums. Tony I's is just one I remember reading about disintegrating. Ask him

For me Outlaw is one of those firms that just aren't worth the hassle.

Find me another post of a Duel falling apart.

BTW Tony I. has never owned a Duel.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Duel VS Promystic proximity (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL