The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Classic Toys (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
The favorite football teams thread got me to thinking: back when I was growing up in Taiwan, I didn't get to see live football. But my absolute favorite toy of all time was my electric football game. I must have spent hundreds of hours on that thing. My father, a real old-school Texan, taught me that the Cowboys were the Chosen Team (and back in the Landry/Staubach days, he may have been right), but I usually played as the Rams because I liked the uniforms.

I wish I still had that thing. I'd trade in both my banjos to get it back. I can always buy more banjos. But that toy is lost in the midst of time.

Out of curiosity, I just checked to see if you could still buy an electric football game. You can. But apparently they have no license with the NFL, so you can only get generic uniforms--which would kind of spoil a bit of the fun. I haven't checked yet, but you can probably buy the old teams I used to play with, but they probably cost an arm and a leg.

But I'm also interested in other toys that some of you would like to somehow resurrect and play. What are the true classics?

Anyone remember Johnny Astro, for exampl?
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I can't think of any toys that I was attached to, but I do miss pulling the heads off of my sisters Barbie dolls and sticking them on the end of pencils. I would surround the impaled head with her teddy bears and tell her they were cannibals.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
You can get the football game on Ebay. Go for it!

As for the Barbie dolls, you sounded like a fun brother. If your sister had the Barbie dolls intact today, she would have a nice collection worth some serious money. Probably enough money to pay for therapy for people who need it, if she wanted to. Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
The Fisher Price record player with book and record sets were the best thing that ever happened to me.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Mattel handheld electronic football...Rock'em Sock'em Robots...Lite Brite...
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Oh oh oh oh, I forgot that Mattel handheld electronic football. That was wonderful.

Here's a big mistake: five or ten years ago I saw a re-issue of that game at Wal-Mart. Why did I not buy it? Still kicking myself....
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4143 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I had an old "vibrating field" football game, and had lots of fun with it. Especially using the kicker to kick that little felt (?) ball for field goals. The teams were the Cowboys and Packers.

I liked "Battling Tops".

"Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots" was fun, but I never owned it, played a friend's.

Also had a small race track with cars. A piece of the car went into a groove on the track so you could control the speed. Pretty fun!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
My all time favorite was my Lionel electric train set. It had the cattle car with the little rubber cattle that would herd on and off into a little corral (by themselves on a vibrating surface that made them "walk" - a smoke stack on the locomotive that puffed real smoke - lots of little buildings, trees, etc. on a mountainy terrain that my father made with screen and plaster.

The completed set took up half of our attic. I'll never forget the electric smell of the transformer.

Years later, when I came back from the Navy, I found that my mother had given the whole thing away to some neighborhood kids.
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
890 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Quote:
On 2012-01-23 12:48, mastermindreader wrote:
My all time favorite was my Lionel electric train set.
Years later, when I came back from the Navy, I found that my mother had given the whole thing away to some neighborhood kids.

But I bet they enjoyed your train as much as you did, Bob!

:)
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
They sure better have! Do you know what those trains are worth today?? LOTS!
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Electronic version of Stratego. It was great.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
890 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
THERE WAS AN ELECTRONIC VERSION OF STRATEGO?!?!

:exclaim:
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Definitely had the electric football!! There was one guy on each team that could kick the ball, and at least one guy that did nothing but go around in circles. Ha!!

I had an O-gauge Marx train set. There was another kid in the neighborhood that had O-gauge also (probably Lionel), so we'd combine the sets and make a huge layout.

G.I. Joe was a big thing (the original version). My mom used to make Barbie clothes for school bazaars, so she also started to make things for our G.I. Joes. Anything made of fabric... tents, sleeping bags, clothes, and a ton of burlap sandbags!! It seemed that half the kids in the neighborhood were into G.I. Joe, so we had some epic battles.

I also had "Creepy Crawlers" and "Creeple People" sets. They had metal molds and this various-colored goop stuff that you could bake and make rubber monsters, spiders, and other cool stuff. I was into monsters, so I had a blast with that.

Had a lot of fun with Frisbees and kites, too.

One pretty cool toy my brother and I had was "Bop The Beetle". It had this big frog-looking thing that worked like a spring trap. You take a small bat that came with it and smack these hard plastic things that were supposed to be beetle. They fly up in the air and the object was to get yours to land in the frog's mouth before the other guy did. When it did, the frog would snap shut. The original disappeared long ago, but I found and bought another on Ebay for my son when he was little. He had a blast, but it wasn't as much fun for me crawling around on the floor chasing the beetle. Smile

Do magic tricks count in this category? Those made up a large portion of my "toys" back then.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I also miss the Sega Game Gear. It was light years ahead of the Game Boy of the time, and yet never got as popular. I have no idea why.
~Will Rogers
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-01-23 12:27, stoneunhinged wrote:
Oh oh oh oh, I forgot that Mattel handheld electronic football. That was wonderful.

When I was a kid, my Mom and my sister and I took the bus out to Calgary a few times to visit my Grandparents and an Aunt and Cousins who were out there. My cousin, Chris, had a handheld electronic football game and my aunt let Tracey and I take it back to play with while we stayed with our grandparents. I didn't know how to play football then and I still don't know the rules, but let me tell you I got the hang of making that machine sing. One of the most fun games I've played. Tracey got the hang of it, too, if I remember correctly. Football champions! Smile

http://youtu.be/YgH9Pn2tq5s

:thumbsup:
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4143 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2012-01-23 13:36, Michael Baker wrote:
G.I. Joe was a big thing (the original version). My mom used to make Barbie clothes for school bazaars, so she also started to make things for our G.I. Joes. Anything made of fabric... tents, sleeping bags, clothes, and a ton of burlap sandbags!! It seemed that half the kids in the neighborhood were into G.I. Joe, so we had some epic battles.

Once in elementary school, someone brought a G.I. Joe "with life-like hair" (remember them?) to school.

Some of them decided it would be fun to clip off some of Joe's "life-like" hair and tape it to other areas of his body that would normally have "life-like" hair. Teacher saw it and they got in trouble!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4143 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2012-01-23 12:17, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Mattel handheld electronic football...

Got that for Christmas a couple of years ago. It was purchased at Radio Shack. Apparently, they brought back some of the old-time games. I think I still have it.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
THE coolest action figure ever was the 6 million dollar man. That thing had so many built in gadgets!
~Will Rogers
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I can't think of any real favorites.

I had a lot of star wars figures, wouldn't mind having those now.

I remember a friend of mine had a huge (it seemed huge anyways, probably would look small now) Voltron robot. I always thought that it always disassembled into the different tigers, but thinking back on it it probably didn't.

I always liked the commercials for the girl toys; easy bake oven, polly pocket, those jewels that unfold into little people.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
890 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
My favourite toys were all The Masters Of The Universe toys with Castle Greyskull as the showpiece for it all!

I wish I still had them all today!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Classic Toys (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL