The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » What is your favourite rope routine? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
I'm with Pop on this one. His Mongolian Pop-Knot is tops.

I changed the routine to the "Barbarian Pop-Knot" so as not to offend any Mongolians in the audience. The Barbarians haven't taken any offense so far Smile
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
That is funny Doug!

As far as routines go, my favorites include any of the Slydini rope routines, the Tabary routine because it is just such a joy to perform, but I piece that one out and intertwine some of the phases with other routines, Dances With Ropes and while they are not strictly rope routines in the traditional sense, I love ring and rope effects (the stage versions, in this case, although I love close-up versions too!).
Magic-Scott
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of Magic-Scott
Professor's Nightmare
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I hope Aaron Smith reads my post.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Haha.. just read it Al. Smile I have seen Richard's work with the ring. I would love to see your routine sometime.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Richard is famous for his rope work, and very few know about his ring and rope work. I will post my routine on youtube this week.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Cool, Al!
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Greg the Great
View Profile
New user
Massachusetts
39 Posts

Profile of Greg the Great
Why]it Haydn's "Mongolian Pop Knot" routine is byfar my favorite
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I haven't done a rope routine since lunch! (It was at a state Republican meeting.) Your question reminds me that the rope routine I do most is one I developed for a competition about 35 years ago and it has never changed. Most of it was made from parts out of Tarbell. (Yep! It won!)
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Professor's Nightmare for walk around, Pavel's Walking knot for stage.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I never saw anyone do it, but the Bill Neff rope effect is just so cool. My first lecture I saw was George Sands, so I absorbed that. Of course, I do my own stuff, and the most exciting effect for me, is my own non gimmicked linking ropes/professors nightmare. Working with ordinary rope from start to finish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGsjqzqyYSU
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
Professors Nightmare + Fiber Optics without a doubt.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
I've always liked David Williamson's ring and rope routine.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Abbott sells a cheap version of the Neff rope trick.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
On the cruise ships, I sometimes opened with the Bill Neff trick. I used a DeKolta pull, which gave me enough freedom of movement to do the Slydini Cut and Restored (using special scissors).

I had three ropes draped over my table, one for the Neff with the gimmick hanging off the back. I picked up a rope had it examined, cut it, snipped off the ends and restored it, then tossed it into the audience. I picked up a second rope, cut the center, trimmed the ends, put it back together and tossed it out to the audience.

Each time the emphasis is on being sure we cut the rope "in the exact center"--no folds, no trickery.

The third time, I offer to let someone from the audience cut it in the center. I pick up the third rope and stretch it out between my hands for the spectator to cut. This is the Neff rope, handing the trick Slydini scissors out to a front row specator (there is nothing for him to see really) for him to cut the rope in the center.

It is shown in two pieces, one piece clearly in each hand, and visibly and quite miraculously restored and immediately thrown out to the audience. It was a very strong routine. Anyone is welcome to use it.

Works best with thin, de-cored cotton magic rope.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
I am in search of some of the Rope that Soma has used for Rope it up. thanks.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I used to do the Tabary routine that was taught on the video that was put out years ago.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Atte
View Profile
New user
Finland
33 Posts

Profile of Atte
I do Chris Ballingers 'Fraid knot with little modifications and I really like it. A bit comedy, audience interaction and a good old professor's nightmare in the end.

~Atte
Human being, magician, student and squash player. Order may vary depending on the situation, but usually first in the list is "human being".
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Greece
637 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
My routine for the last 15 years is based round Salvano's material with a few other bits pinched from here and there, but I recently watched Leslie Melville perform his routine from Magictales and enjoyed the performance very much.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
The Mongolian Pop-Knot:

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » What is your favourite rope routine? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL