The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Metamorphosis Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicdrums
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of magicdrums
Hey guys,

I just put up my video from 2010 new years eve party .

Its my version of metamorphosis . we custom made the trunk for my use . its also a tip over trunk as well

Let me know what you think .If you have any ideas of how to make it better please let me know . Link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8ZSpvL4r......eo_title

I also just updated my website!!
http://www.patrickjonesmagic.com
magicdrums
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of magicdrums
Do any of you have any pointers????? on how to make the effect better. My trunk is just like the pendragons with the trap and everything. I'm really open to anything!!
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Hi,
I don't understand wich illusion you are doing.
Presenting the Subtrunk and a lid is staying upright.
That's difficult for an audience to understand.
Two lids on one box. I think that combining
the Tip Over and the Subtrunk, this way, is not lucky choice
magicdrums
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of magicdrums
Hey John wills thanks for your thoughts!

I do the tip over trunk in the beginning of my show!

I start on the stage during the sub trunk performance. With both lids closed. During this show my assistant opened it up right when I started talking because we wernt clear on when I wanted her to open the first lid.

The idea of this trunk was to have two illusions in one. I was doing a gig at a dance recital to make one of the dancers appear I did the tip over and then after they danced I did the sub trunk. I didn't have a lot of space for two trunks backstage . And also for transportation purposes ......

I see what your saying totally. And thank you for the response
Do you have any ideas how I can explain the illusion better or anything?
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Waaaaaaay to long of a period where you can't see ANYONE behind the cloth. This gives the audience way too much time to guess what is going on. I counted almost 10 seconds that the cloth hid everything. Compare it to this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyrwOW6R8k8 Maybe 2 seconds of cover. Keep your girls head visible longer and its way better.

Good Luck!

Tim
Nak
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Nak
Though you probably do it in the beginning when you do the tip over, spin the box to remind the audience there is a back to it...otherwise some will be suspicious. Good luck, keep up the practice and all the best!
magicdrums
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of magicdrums
Thanks guys Smile ..if you have any other ideas or pointers please let me know
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I don't' think you should tell the audience what the effect is. "It's a change trick." If you want to make it a challedge type of story--"Houdini did it in 2 minutes, I'm going to do it in 10 seconds"--you can still say that without spelling out exactly what the effect it.
Completely agree with the lid sticking up. Your practical need for to use one box for both doesn't matter to the audience; it just makes it confusing as stated above.
I guess you have two lids because it's a double tip over box.
Also, agree with above poster: why not have her head sticking up and then switches to your head, per usual performance.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
magicdrums
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of magicdrums
Yes sir its a double tip over trunk and I agree with the head thing brooke and I will be changing that ..and ya about the lid thing I would change that if I could but I have to work with what I got
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
530 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Unless your audience is sitting very high you don't need the second lid...
So why not remove it for most shows and only use it when you really need it?
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Profile of TheMagicOfLuke
I agree with not saying what you are going to do. I think that can really take away from the illusion.
LaurensMalter
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
131 Posts

Profile of LaurensMalter
As mentioned before, the trunk is covered over 10 seconds, this is way too long.. You could have your assistant stand on the lid, have her wave the cloth a little bit, because now, while she is getting up, the cloth is already covering and I'm guessing nothing is happening during this time.
Try to practice with your assistant so she throws it up, you catch it and then slowly lowering to your waist and then dropping it..
This shouldn't be a problem with a little bit of practice and it will make it look so much better.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1221 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Quote:
On 2012-01-27 17:19, The Drake wrote:
Waaaaaaay to long of a period where you can't see ANYONE behind the cloth. This gives the audience way too much time to guess what is going on. I counted almost 10 seconds that the cloth hid everything. Compare it to this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyrwOW6R8k8 Maybe 2 seconds of cover. Keep your girls head visible longer and its way better.

Good Luck!

Tim

Hi Tim,

With all due respect to Ryan Joyce, I was under the impression that the technique of ripping the cloth in two was proprietary to Jonathan Pendragon. By no means is this intended to make accusations or to call anybody out. I'm just curious if this maneuver is available for others to emulate (if they are able), or of special permission needs to be granted?
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Hi Scott

Jonathan Pendragon explains this technique which he calls "split curtain" at his DVDs, so I asume everybody who owns a copy of that DVDs could use it. I know Jonathan usually reads this forum, Jonathan, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Best regards
magicdrums
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of magicdrums
I have the dvd its a great dvd and we are working on the split for the cloth . We are working on the speed and cloth with the assistants head showing and everything. We are getting the speed better. The speed comes with time ! . Thanks guys for everything and ya Jonathan if you can respond to this! I don't remember did you give us the right to do the split cloth. Your permission etc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Metamorphosis Video (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL