The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Now that's what I call an "occupation" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Most of the "occupy wall street" encampments are already gone . . . but I learned from a story about a protest on Australia Day, that there has been an aboriginal "occupy" style tent city outside of the Australian house of parliament for . . . . forty years . . . I know the climate Down Under is more hospitable and so forth, but still . . . that's stick-to-it-iveness, aint it? Although it evidently isn't getting them what they want . . .
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Can't expect real change.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Just all depends on what one thinks constitutes real change.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
In the sunny old land of Oz? Pansies. The Occupy Spokane crowd is out in the snow right now. Agree or disagree with them, that's pretty hardcore.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
The "Aboriginal Tent Embassy" was "established" 40 years ago. But it moved around during its first 20 years, and existed sporadically. Only for its last 20 years has it been established continuously on a single site.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
20 years is still pretty persistent . . .
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Oh, absolutely.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
The Aboriginal Tent Embassy was established 40 years ago but it came and went for years and started as just a beach umbrella.

It's certainly not a city - usually just a few people.

There have been huge strides forward for Aboriginal Australians during that 40 years, but I wouldn't put that down to the embassy, although it contributed to awareness.

Aboriginals were recognised as citizens and recalcitrant states forced by the Commonwealth to give them the vote in the sixties, after a referendum in which Australians overwhelmingly voted in favoour of the First Australians. The Whitlam Labour Government which came to power after the embassy was established ended the White Australia Policy and started the move to Land Rights but that had been their policy from before the embassy. Since then there have been many advances - it's generally agreed, not enough, but we're getting there.

Native Title to land has been recognised by the High Court, the previous Prime Minister made a National Apology for injustices over the years and a lot of money has been put into improving Aboriginal health, education and welfare. At the moment there is bi-partisan support and work going on to include recognition of the First Australians in the preamble to our constitution.

The 300 strong rabble who went from the Embassy celebration to confront the PM and Opposition Leader on Australia Day have been condemned by many Aboriginal leaders for their behaviour.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
If only the rabble of 300 had headed off the politicians at the Hot Gates...
~Will Rogers
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
At the hot gates, that was no rabble . . .
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Nothing new under the sun. Grandpa talked of demonsrations in the 1960s in the US of A.

Hope they stay dry and out of the winter elements out there.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-01-27 18:27, Woland wrote:
At the hot gates, that was no rabble . . .

To the Iranians it was Smile
~Will Rogers
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Persians. And they found out otherwise.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Persians are Iranian. I know one. He's actually a pretty cool dude.
I'm not dissing the 300 Spartans. Although the Naval fleet deserves some fricking kudos for that battle too.
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Persians are Iranian. I've only met one, but he was really cool. Worked in housing discrimination and had some great stories about his life.
Anyways, I'm not dissing the 300 Spartans. I love those guys. I do think it's about time the Naval fleet got some danged recognition in that battle though.
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Stupid glitchy double post. It didn't show up so I re-wrote it. Not re-writing this, if it vanishes then it vanishes.
~Will Rogers
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
The problem with the protests is that they are peaceful. You will only get change by voting out the incumbents, or overthrowing them. Sitting around to make them feel bad won't work. I admire the sentiments of the Occupy movements, but they really need to get off their arses and push home their point.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Yeah! Nobody's ever accomplished anything with a peaceful protest! Not ever!

~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
What does Ben Kingsley have to do with it?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-01-27 23:18, LobowolfXXX wrote:
What does Ben Kingsley have to do with it?

Well, he was in Sneakers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Now that's what I call an "occupation" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL