The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Psychic sues UK newspaper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
JonWhite
View Profile
Loyal user
London
284 Posts

Profile of JonWhite
So that's why all those pseudo-skeptics with their tedious testing protocols have thus far failed to find any evidence that convinces them.

They forgot to ask the dog. Smile
Blueboy
View Profile
Regular user
But I don't steal to fund my habit
200 Posts

Profile of Blueboy
If you see something and your dog also re-acts to it, then that is good evidence that what you saw was not an illusion made of you're own mind. Funny is it not that this is a difficult concept to grasp, yet you just don't get it again and again.. you guys think you have superior logic yet you constantly make mundane, thick as custard statements LOL

Your blinkered approach Jon is really tedious, you skeptics make another fundemental mistake - you think people that believe in the Paranormal have some "Convince and Convert" christian policy, we don't.. if you don't believe, if you are so blind that you don't even know what you are, we really and I mean REALLY could'nt give a flying monkeys toss. Ignorance is bliss for you, but you don't get that either, still you go on demanding proof as if we owe you the time to provide it, we don't, you don't believe, I don't care.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2012-01-30 05:29, Jon_Thompson wrote:
What's a pseudo-skeptic. Is it an organisation?

No--just another type of straw man. Smile
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Blueboy
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Blueboy
I meant to say not a difficult concept to grasp above.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2012-01-30 18:59, Blueboy wrote:
...I don't care.

So chill. Smile
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Quote:
On 2012-01-30 05:29, Jon_Thompson wrote:
What's a pseudo-skeptic. Is it an organisation?

Pseudo = fraudulent or fake
Skeptic = Someone who has a questioning mind.

So a pseudo-skeptic is a person who pretends to have a questioning mind? Isn't that someone who simply believes and takes things on faith rather than going in search of the truth. Hmmm... That sounds a lot like people who follow a religion, belong to a cult, visit psychics and mediums, think that aliens make crop circles and fairies live at the bottom of their garden. Plus anything else you can think of that involves taking things on face value and questioning things.

People here know my stance when it comes to this stuff. I am a skeptic. I don't take things at face value. I'm quite willing to admit that when it comes to the paranormal I don't know.

I see possibilities to achieving certain things. Now whether I agree with the way Paul did what he did is irrelevant, his article does highlight a possible means of achieving what at face value appears to be paranormal.

Is he right? I don't know. But his explanation is certainly the more feasible answer to the question of "how does she do it?". At best, all she could prove from now on is that her abilities are capable of achieving the same phenomena as a magic trick. Nothing more. So whether she does or doesn't use trickery is irrelevant. The fact that her "powers" are no more impressive than a cheap stunt makes them pretty pointless really.

That's just my opinion anyway.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
JonWhite
View Profile
Loyal user
London
284 Posts

Profile of JonWhite
Quote:
On 2012-01-30 18:59, Blueboy wrote:
...we really and I mean REALLY could'nt give a flying monkeys toss. Ignorance is bliss for you, but you don't get that either, still you go on demanding proof as if we owe you the time to provide it, we don't, you don't believe, I don't care.

Yet the humourless and insulting tone of your posts indicates otherwise.

If atributing a pets behaviour somehow acts as sufficient confirmation of your beliefs, that's up to you. Sadly, in my apparent blissful ignorance that just don't cut it for me.

Each to their own.
Blueboy
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Blueboy
Yep, let's just ignore the pets behavior and pretend we were tired.
JonWhite
View Profile
Loyal user
London
284 Posts

Profile of JonWhite
Quote:
On 2012-01-30 19:29, Blueboy wrote:
Yep, let's just ignore the pets behavior and pretend we were tired.

No problem (my cat agrees that it'd be for the best).

Goodnight.
PhiltheBear
View Profile
New user
Southampton, UK
72 Posts

Profile of PhiltheBear
Quote:
On 2012-01-28 09:06, TH1 wrote:
A true psychic would have known the article was coming out, and would have filed an injunction prior to publication of the allegedly libelous article. Smile

Which begs the question - is a 'psychic' the same as a 'fortune-teller'? Although she styles herself 'Psychic Sally' it would seem that 'Medium Mary' would have been a better choice as the act appears to be that of a medium e.g. she talks about past events not future ones.
--

PhiltheBear
Unusualist
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
Quote:
On 2012-01-31 14:19, PhiltheBear wrote:

Which begs the question - is a 'psychic' the same as a 'fortune-teller'? Although she styles herself 'Psychic Sally' it would seem that 'Medium Mary' would have been a better choice as the act appears to be that of a medium e.g. she talks about past events not future ones.

Good point. It does annoy me slightly when people confuse psychics and mediums.
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
It annoys me when mediums and psychics don't understand the difference.
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
Quote:
On 2012-01-31 14:50, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
It annoys me when mediums and psychics don't understand the difference.

Indeed. If *anyone* should know the difference...
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

http://psychiclife.blogspot.com/2009/11/medium-wrong.html

Not only that incident, but "acclaimed medium" Lisa Wiliams made the same statement in her biography. Sad!
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
I think this guy talks a lot sense. Worth a read...

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/brenda......ch-hunt/
www.readerofminds.co.uk
Blueboy
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Blueboy
If Paul wants to stop the constant fleecing of gullible people with more money than sense he should get his backside into the Penny forum and tackle the snakes that peddle their wares in there.

Not much money in it though, and he won't get on telly, hence he doesn't do it.
PhiltheBear
View Profile
New user
Southampton, UK
72 Posts

Profile of PhiltheBear
Quote:
On 2012-02-01 05:19, Voodini wrote:
I think this guy talks a lot sense. Worth a read...

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/brenda......ch-hunt/

Except that he argues that nobody does any harm - and there are cases where harm has definitely been done by 'psychics' who have fleeced the gullible. I don't think that's particularly true of Pysh Sally. She has a good 'act' but her voice drives me up the wall.
--

PhiltheBear
Unusualist
jerome96114
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of jerome96114
WTF... ???

Only that I get this right:

Here, on a MAGICIANs (= people using tricks to create the ILLUSION of real wonders) forum, most people criticize skeptics for criticising the belife (/ claim outside the show of)"real magick"

Guys ... There IS NO real magic.

Even the mentalists use cold reading, gimmicks, etc. but no real. The bizarrists use something from lebanon circle, a hunted key, or perhaps rubber cement and needles, and all you show mediums probably use a spirit lamp from UYD or a ouija board from our best outlaws. But what ever you do: It is NOT done by real Powers AND YOU KNOW THAT.

Playing your Medium Charakter on stage is all right. And If you choose to be always *on* ... well: so be it!

But there are borders that, when crossed, make it morally wrong.
Fooling ALL the money out of gullible people in continuous private readings, claiming to know their their future; making them depandent in all important desicions on you is wrong.
Contacing dead relatives, like the young dead child of parents (and than even taking money for it) is wrong. [There are even studies proofing that this often causes psychic problems at those]

Probably the article might have been far from perfect, but criticising sceptics for exposing false claims of powers generally is not good.
They often do a job needed.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Jerome,

Respectfully, your post belongs two rungs up on the main forum, in Pennies, not here.

In this part of the Café, Hamlet Act 1, Scene V is accepted as the law of the land.

Tony
Blueboy
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Blueboy
Many women routinely fake orgasms, does'nt mean the poor ladies can't hope to encounter a real one some day Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Psychic sues UK newspaper (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL