The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Psychic sues UK newspaper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2012-02-04 18:22, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

...In this part of the Café, Hamlet Act 1, Scene V is accepted as the law of the land.

I like that. Smile
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If we were to make a grand list of bad things people do to one another...and we worked out the percentiles for each, where do you think this would rank?

at what level can we condemn ALL with the same sentence? therapists, doctors, police, teachers, ice-cream vendors, they have all been found guilty of doing some VERY naughty things to other people - for money, for power, for sex, for their own "good"...

and yes, there ARE some people who do the same in the psychic community (loose term that I just used to help speed things up) - so...before we can condemn people as frauds, taking advantage of, ripping off, making them dependent... we have to look at real evidence for this...if anyone has some, great - lets see it, otherwise, all we have is people making wild assumptions over what they think happens, and only look at evidence that backs up their own world view...

can't have it both ways...simple.
I've asked to be banned
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
[quote]On 2012-02-04 21:37, Blueboy wrote:
Many women routinely fake orgasms...

WHAT ???

Who told you this ?

:)
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
PhiltheBear
View Profile
New user
Southampton, UK
72 Posts

Profile of PhiltheBear
Quote:
On 2012-02-05 16:14, Godzilla wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-04 21:37, Blueboy wrote:
Many women routinely fake orgasms...

WHAT ???

Who told you this ?

Bet it wasn't a bloke Smile
--

PhiltheBear
Unusualist
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Psychic? Medium? Po-TAY-toe? Po-TAH-toe? Big end or little? Might as well argue whether leprechauns are dressed in silk coats or frock.

I see your "Hamlet" and raise you "Tyrian":
"No, of course not. They never do tests. Not many real deeds either. Oh, conversation with your grandmother's shade in a darkened room, the odd love potion or two, but comes a doubter, why, then it's the wrong day, the planets are not in line, the entrails are not favorable, 'we don't do tests'!"

They don't do tests because they can't pass tests. Sometimes, they can't even figure out to hide the mic properly. Smile
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
This link was posted in Penny, but I think it belongs here as it relates directly to this thread: http://psycicornot.wordpress.com/2012/02/28/hello-world/

I know this is just one person's comment. And there's zero proof that what is written here is any more trustworthy than anything written on the web. But it does make it seem as though the evidence against her is stacking up.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Quote:
On 2012-02-04 18:22, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Jerome,

Respectfully, your post belongs two rungs up on the main forum, in Pennies, not here.

In this part of the Caf�, Hamlet Act 1, Scene V is accepted as the law of the land.

Tony

what part of this scene are you referring too?
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Quote:
On 2012-02-04 18:08, jerome96114 wrote:
Only that I get this right:

Here, on a MAGICIANs (= people using tricks to create the ILLUSION of real wonders) forum, most people criticize skeptics for criticising the belife (/ claim outside the show of)"real magick"

Guys ... There IS NO real magic.

Even the mentalists use cold reading, gimmicks, etc. but no real. The bizarrists use something from lebanon circle, a hunted key, or perhaps rubber cement and needles, and all you show mediums probably use a spirit lamp from UYD or a ouija board from our best outlaws. But what ever you do: It is NOT done by real Powers AND YOU KNOW THAT.

to quote the matrix: the mind makes it real. They don't know that psychics aren't real, they don't know the tricks of the trade. Even if you bill yourself as a mentalist they don't know it isn't real, if you play your character well, the mind makes it real.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Quote:
On 2012-02-29 09:37, cirrus wrote:
Quote:
Only that I get this right:

Here, on a MAGICIANs (= people using tricks to create the ILLUSION of real wonders) forum, most people criticize skeptics for criticising the belife (/ claim outside the show of)"real magick"

Even the mentalists use cold reading, gimmicks, etc. but no real. The bizarrists use something from lebanon circle, a hunted key, or perhaps rubber cement and needles, and all you show mediums probably use a spirit lamp from UYD or a ouija board from our best outlaws. But what ever you do: It is NOT done by real Powers AND YOU KNOW THAT.

to quote the matrix: the mind makes it real. They don't know that psychics aren't real, they don't know the tricks of the trade. Even if you bill yourself as a mentalist they don't know it isn't real, if you play your character well, the mind makes it real.

Cirrus,

It's this that makes it so easy for the vulnerable to be taken advantage of and means we have to be careful when we do what we do for non-magicians. When I first saw Derren doing Lift and Reminiscence back in 1999 I was a nieve 18 year old with very little knowledge of magic and for a moment, until I read his book that I bought after the show, I believed that what I'd seen was real... And this was performed at a magic convention!

It's easy to convince people when you're good at what you do, it's even easier if they believe you're genuine before they even get inside the theatre.

I'm not against séance, readings and other psychic entertainment. Far from it. But people should be treated with respect and not taken advantage of.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I'm not saying that you should take advantage of them, I'm only reffering that what we do isn't real. If we don't believe it's real we should stop with what we do, because then the whole illusion is gone.
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
661 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
I was re-reading my Milbourne Christopher "Illustrated History of Magic" not too long ago. Of great interest are the early chapters about sleight of hand as used by Shamans. There is evidence that they used trickery...not to fool or deceive people, but rather to exteriorize an internal experience. Performing a 'trick' became a way for the shaman to make visible and beleivable, something that was subtle and the Shaman knew was real for him. I myself am a sceptical occultist, and use magic not to deceive...but to communicate the Otherness, and Strangeness I feel about the world.
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
Quote:
On 2012-02-29 13:39, Lucien Astor wrote:
not to deceive...but to communicate the Otherness, and Strangeness I feel about the world.

I like that. The idea that using a technique of some sort is a way of demonstrating physically something that is in fact spiritual and ethereal and has no physical substance.
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Ritualum by Luca volpe is a great example of establishing change by some trickery and making the effect stronger.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Cirrus, please don't take offence. I wasn't attacking you. I was agreeing with you and simply adding to your statement. Sorry if it didn't come across as such.

Lucian, I second what Paul said. Lovely idea about using a trick to illustrate the spiritual. Great idea that could prove very powerful.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Reading text is difficult to understand the underlying message. No offense taken. I have sometimes difficulty reading the underlying message, that's why I sometimes think that I'm being offended. sorry for this.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
No worries my friend.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Lord of Illusion
View Profile
Veteran user
Has his enemies stuck on
310 Posts

Profile of Lord of Illusion
Quote:

Playing your Medium Charakter on stage is all right. And If you choose to be always *on* ... well: so be it!

(blah blah blah...)

Jerome, we do not go and pee in your forum (Good News), please do not come pee in ours.

Thank you

Oh...and learn to spell....
Edward Wolfgang Poe,

The Necromancer of the South
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Psychic sues UK newspaper (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL