We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » THE INVISIBLE DECK!!!! (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
I do an invisible deck to vanishing deck

(here's a video of the vanishing deck trick if you aren't familiar with it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5W9l_ogyTg

basically, I bring out the invisible deck in the white plastic case. hand the spectator the case the hold on to. then I do my invisible deck trick. I get the spectator to take out the face down card. right after they take the card, I put the invisible deck back in its pack and put it back in my pocket. but they're still holding the card. so then I say "ok, I'll try one more trick" ... and I pull out the gimmicked deck. I say, "i'll make your card disappear from the deck". I put the card in the gimmicked deck and say "see, your card is going in on top of the deck"... I close the pack and ask them to hand me the white plastic card case. I put the gimmick deck into the white plastic card case. the audience expects only their card to vanish... but then they're pretty shocked when the whole deck disappears. so I get great reactions out of both effects. if I have my pure smoke devise on... it works well with the vanishing deck because you can let the smoke build up in it before you turn it over.

so one way to prevent them from examining the deck is to make it disappear. I suppose you could always switch it for a real deck instead... but if you hand it out to be examined.... they might find their card in the deck and see the duplicate and realize you switched decks.
Denis Bastible
View Profile
Loyal user
Buffalo, New York
293 Posts

Profile of Denis Bastible
Eduardo was kidding....I hope. No one wants to examine the deck. No one wants to see the Brainwave deck either, and that is less safe. They are too blown away.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2012-01-31 09:10, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Hugh E wrote:

Quote:
I usually just do one, sometimes I will reveal 2 or 3 cards as well.

Hmmm...What do you mean "reveal 2 or 3 cards as well"?

If you mean you actually do the trick 2 or 3 times sometimes that would definitely cause people to ask to see the deck. There is no reason to repeat the trick, it is so strong. Repeating it makes it appear as puzzle and not a miracle.

I do the deck several times, at least twice at the same table. Then I do it at tables nearby with viewers listening to other selections. At one table, I sometimes have the selection and find all four of the cards they select ie: 4 jacks.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Lefebure
View Profile
Loyal user
Lille, France
202 Posts

Profile of Lefebure
I don't remember if anyone asked me to inspect the deck after the ID routine. I don't think it ever happened. But when I perform a routine with a gimmick or something that can't be watched closely by the spectators, if they tell me "Can I see the deck ? " I just say "I can't, but as you apparently enjoy my show and seem to be clever, I will show you something else that uses exactly the same method, but for another purpose and a different effect...and I show them something completely different, for example a classic card trick, but it can be also a coin or a mentalism routine.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9497 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Jay, I didn't quite follow the routine in the blog post. It's stated that both are shuffled but doesn't say when and by whom, and how you get away with that. Also the part about putting the card back where you found it is unclear to me. Maybe I'm just a bit slow today.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1902 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Quote:
On 2012-02-01 17:10, jay leslie wrote:
http://www.thehouseofenchantment.com/pag......ons.html

I could not follow it either.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9497 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
The volunteer is given their choice of red or blue. They are asked to shuffle. They hand their deck back. That are asked to shuffle the other deck. In the process the first deck is exchanged for the ID.

Then the volunteer is asked to hold the "original" deck (red or blue) and hand back the second deck.

From that point you're open to having anyone pick a card from the second deck OR the volunteer names a card which is removed from the second deck (or whatever you want to do)
The point is that the supposedly shuffled ID is being held by the volunteer until the revelation.

SOOOO you need two IDs. one in a red box and one in a blue box. You also need two regular decks.
- - - - - - - -

Yes it seems like a long description and work (I myself don't bother doing it this way) BUT after the performance the spectators who try to reconstruct the effect rule-out trick decks because "it was shuffled"

The whole routine is reminiscent of Billy McCombs version of Himber rings, where you involve people sitting to the right and sitting to the left - so you can do what you need to do. It plays well, from the times I've seen it.

- - -

I myself don't bother with all the justification. I just say they had no choice because all the invisible cards were the same - That way I can put the card back exactly where I got it without any clean-up.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3350 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Magicians wrote:

Quote:
I do the deck several times, at least twice at the same table. Then I do it at tables nearby with viewers listening to other selections. At one table, I sometimes have the selection and find all four of the cards they select ie: 4 jacks.

When I do the ID the impression left on the spectator is that somehow I knew a card that he merely thought of. All of the invisible deck handling is done tongue in cheek and the audience "knows" that the real trick is that I somehow already had one card reversed in the deck which turned out to be the correct one.

I would think that by repeating the trick over and over for the same people you would lose that. The only impression they could be left with is that you are able to indetectably flip over any card you want. A great display of skill but not an "impossible" prediction.

I don't know the details of your presentation. I'm sure it works for you. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
BenGGie
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of BenGGie
I use a Jay Sankey version which would even fool a laymen whose heard of an ID.
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Quote:

Amazing I love it... tank you
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2012-02-01 22:20, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Magicians wrote:

Quote:

Here's a few routines:
When I do the ID the impression left on the spectator is that somehow I knew a card that he merely thought of. All of the invisible deck handling is done tongue in cheek and the audience "knows" that the real trick is that I somehow already had one card reversed in the deck which turned out to be the correct one.

I would think that by repeating the trick over and over for the same people you would lose that. The only impression they could be left with is that you are able to in-detectibly flip over any card you want. A great display of skill but not an "impossible" prediction.

I don't know the details of your presentation. I'm sure it works for you. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Here's a few routines I get away with:
After the by-play, I ask what card they picked from their invisible deck, and I state that that was an amazing co-incidence that I was playing with this deck this morning and I remember there was one card in my deck that was different, you see it is face down. What are the odds that it is your card? Then I reveal.
----------------
Others at the table are looking and are amazed. I say, you think maybe we were working together on that? Well , how about you pick a card? I state, I think that there was one other card in the deck that was also different. I reveal that card.
----------------------
The repeat, gives me several options. One is, that if one card was odd and they picked an even card. They see the previous card is still face up and I point it out. If the second card is the "mate" card, (which happens a lot), I re-ask what the first card was (well knowing it was an ace), I re-ask that they chose the queen, and I find the ace and immediately next to the previously chosen card is the new selection (the minor miracle). This second card also gives me a small chance that the card is top or bottom. So I just tap the deck, as their card rises to the top.
All of this requires an impeccable ability to find the card and reveal without a "tell", and quick thinking.

Then, there is a tie-in. When you do another effect and a card is the main theme of a force. You vanish the forced card from another deck and it becomes the face down card in the invisible deck.
You can also do a sympathetic deck effect.
Have the second deck divided into odds and evens. Have the spectator cut the deck in half, which will leave either half either all odd or all even.
Spread the odd cards and have the spectator pick 2 or three cards and turn them over and put them back in (as you watch).

You then take out the ID and find that the selected cards are also face down.
--------------
Another "tie-in" effect: is to take the selected car from another deck and burn it. When you show the ID, their card is missing as in no odd card in an even spread.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13416 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
You're new, I'm guessing? And you probably looked guilty.
When you don't telegraph that you're using an ID, people will stop asking.

The person that did the deck switch on you didn't use proper psychology or you would have never suspected
a switch.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2012-02-02 13:16, Eduardo wrote:
Quote:

I am sorry, I am missing something...I do not see an effect there.
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
Quote:
On 2012-02-02 17:33, magicians wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-02 13:16, Eduardo wrote:
Quote:

I am sorry, I am missing something...I do not see an effect there.

Than its not for you Smile
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
Quote:
On 2012-01-30 09:18, Christopher Lyle wrote:
In 30 years of performing the Invisible Deck, I have NEVER had anyone ask me to see the cards when I'm done...EVER!

Me either. It could be about audience management.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9497 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Explanation from page 1

Quote:
On 2012-02-01 19:34, jay leslie wrote:
The volunteer is given their choice of red or blue. They are asked to shuffle. They hand their deck back. That are asked to shuffle the other deck. In the process the first deck is exchanged for the ID.

Then the volunteer is asked to hold the "original" deck (red or blue) and hand back the second deck.

From that point you're open to having anyone pick a card from the second deck OR the volunteer names a card which is removed from the second deck (or whatever you want to do)
The point is that the supposedly shuffled ID is being held by the volunteer until the revelation.

SOOOO you need two IDs. one in a red box and one in a blue box. You also need two regular decks.
- - - - - - - -

Yes it seems like a long description and work (I myself don't bother doing it this way) BUT after the performance the spectators who try to reconstruct the effect rule-out trick decks because "it was shuffled"

The whole routine is reminiscent of Billy McCombs version of Himber rings, where you involve people sitting to the right and sitting to the left - so you can do what you need to do. It plays well, from the times I've seen it.

- - -

I myself don't bother with all the justification. I just say they had no choice because all the invisible cards were the same - That way I can put the card back exactly where I got it without any clean-up.
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
778 Posts

Profile of dduane
Forgive me if this is a little off topic... I don't use my ID, because it's not r****h enough. I know how to handle the cards, but they slip too easily. Is there a r****hing fluid you would recommend that will solve this?

Thank you... Dennis
whitesonora
View Profile
New user
France
33 Posts

Profile of whitesonora
I never use the ID as a stand alone trick (maybe I could on a parlour situation).
I always perform a few card trick before switching decks, so they feel they have already checked th deck out.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5842 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2012-02-08 22:21, dduane wrote:
Forgive me if this is a little off topic... I don't use my ID, because it's not r****h enough. I know how to handle the cards, but they slip too easily. Is there a r****hing fluid you would recommend that will solve this?

Thank you... Dennis

Applying Cashmere Bouquet soap to the smooth sides will help to decrease the friction that is pulling the cards apart. It worked really well for me. The older a deck gets, the more friction is created on the smooth sides.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » THE INVISIBLE DECK!!!! (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL