The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » THE INVISIBLE DECK!!!! (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Hugh Entwistle
Hey guys, everyone knows that the invisible deck is one of the most impossible and most awesome tricks in magic, but do you guys do any cleanup? Sure the spectator is usually amazed and doesn't want to inspect the deck, but occasionally you run into a skeptic like me, the first time someone performed the invisible deck to me, at the end I asked to see the deck and the magician just put it into his pocket pretending that he didn't hear me and then went "Oh you wanted to see the deck?" and obviously took out a different one, which kinda spoilt the magic for me.

What are your thoughts on cleanups for the invisible deck
P.S DOn't tell me that the spectators wont want to see it, because sometimes they do Smile
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
Just tell them if they look at the cards they will figure out how easy this stuff is and the boss will find out and you will lose your job. Always works for me.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Maybe try to follow the ID with another effect so you can keep talking and the spectator won't have the opportunity to ask. I often find that spectators will ask questions when there is a pause - get rid of the pause - but don't just waffle for the sake of it!
Piqsirpoq
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
116 Posts

Profile of Piqsirpoq
In his Workers series, Mike Close has an ID effect, which can be completely examined after you spread the cards with the thought of card facing the other way. You can hand the deck over, because it's a normal deck!

Of course, every method has its pros and cons. Close's effect ends clean, but there's sleight of hand involved and you have to memorize stuff. With the ID, there's no sleight of hand, but you end dirty.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
In 30 years of performing the Invisible Deck, I have NEVER had anyone ask me to see the cards when I'm done...EVER!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
Quote:
On 2012-01-30 09:18, Christopher Lyle wrote:
In 30 years of performing the Invisible Deck, I have NEVER had anyone ask me to see the cards when I'm done...EVER!

Exactly, although I only have 3 years experience.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2012-01-30 09:21, themagicguy wrote:
Quote:

Exactly, although I only have 3 years experience.

Agree, no one asks, but they stare at it a lot. And once it is back in the pocket, it is invisible again.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3966 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Quote:

Ditto.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I have used the ID for many years. At this time I perform in 3 upscale restaurants and use the ID no less than 6 times per evening and I have never, and I mean ever, had anyone ask to see the deck.
merlin5150 II
View Profile
Elite user
Aurora, IL
414 Posts

Profile of merlin5150 II
I've never had anyone ask to see the deck, I usually let them remove reversed card and also put the card back in the deck the right way, meaning not back upside down.

Jeff
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
Hugh, When YOU do the routine, do you have just one person think of a card?
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3369 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
They never suspect the deck when I perform in restaurants either.

It could be that you are doing something wrong but it's probably just the fact that you are performing for friends. Friends always suspect friends are using a gimmick. They must be because they are just "one of the guys". When "one of the guys" does something you can't figure out it means he bought a cool magic trick.

If you want to fool friends with the invisible deck don't do it cold. Do ambitious card and other routines and your friends will examine the deck early and decide it isn't the deck. Only then do you ring in the invisible deck.

If you want to fool wanna-be-magician's with the invisible deck you would have to use some clever device or technique to do a perfect deck switch and you still wouldn't totally fool them. "I know you used the invisible deck but I didn't catch the deck switch..."
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Andrew
When I perform using the Invisible Deck, it almost always follows another card routine. At that point, they've already seen a trick with a perfectly normal deck and have no reason to suspect otherwise when the Invisible Deck is performed. As many others have mentioned, in all my years of performing the ID, no one has asked to see the deck.
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Let me see that sticky cards!!!! that's what they say after I do the ID for them...
or... There are only 26 fat cards here, where are the other 26?
sometimes they say, I know how you do that, it is done with roughing fluid?

that's why I don't do this messy trick anymore...
Lou Cirulli
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of Lou Cirulli
Quote:
On 2012-01-30 14:15, Eduardo wrote:
Let me see that sticky cards!!!! that's what they say after I do the ID for them...

Laymen tell you they know it's done with r******* f****? Really?
Yannou
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of Yannou
Go for Richard Osterlinds "Richardwave". Giving out the cards there is your chance to clean up.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1801 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Quote:

Laymen tell you they know it's done with r******* f****? Really?

I think he was kidding. The eye wink gave it away for me...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Hugh Entwistle
Quote:
On 2012-01-30 12:02, iwillfoolu wrote:
Hugh, When YOU do the routine, do you have just one person think of a card?

I usually just do one, sometimes I will reveal 2 or 3 cards as well.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:

If they think you have "sticky" cards or fat cards, then you are doing the effect wrong. Some decks have to be broken in, and/or your fingers need to be conditioned.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3369 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Hugh E wrote:

Quote:
I usually just do one, sometimes I will reveal 2 or 3 cards as well.

Hmmm...What do you mean "reveal 2 or 3 cards as well"?

If you mean you actually do the trick 2 or 3 times sometimes that would definitely cause people to ask to see the deck. There is no reason to repeat the trick, it is so strong. Repeating it makes it appear as puzzle and not a miracle.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » THE INVISIBLE DECK!!!! (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL