The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » The Magicians BBC 1 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Once more these idiots have come to the fore,,,,the "Worlds Greatest Magicians" (They gotta be a jesting) The same pathetic format of phone votes !!! Celebs (Useing the word Celebs very loosely here)Are taught,,on camera to do Sideshow stunts,,,Sword walking,BON,Glass walking, Smashed block on head etc etc etc,,,anything to belittle Sideshow.

What are the IBM or Magic Circle doing,,,,nowt,,,even though their pompus blurb sports all about keeping the secrets, progressing the art,Ethics in magic. All Hogwash.

Next up will be the useing of escapology and the destruction of that art as well. Funny how their site has selective tweets, no comments about the protests and as yet I have recieved no replies to any of the questions put to them.

Looking forward to the week when they teach another unknown pretend Celeb to sword swallow,,,when they end up dead on stage I hope Im there to rip off their heads and S**T down their necks.

Where are all the princibles gone ? The code of ethics ? Keeping the secrets ? All prostituted out by unknown halfwits working cheap for the BBC.
There is a forum on the net where a magician is openly offering the methods used on this "show" to any person who cant figure out the tricks shown for themselves !!!! Shooting himself in the leg, or what ? I think not. Maybe he is incensed as much as I am,,,and Im not the only one in my twenty.

Any back up here ???

Ken.
Lurchenstien
View Profile
New user
Hampshire, UK
49 Posts

Profile of Lurchenstien
I saw one of these by chance, that particular one had fire eating and a molten metal act as the "forfeit". Just going by that one, it wasn't great, well, for people on the outside of this society maybe it was, but I just sat there picking holes in it. Quite why they're using sideshow stunts on magic show is beyond me, if they want to up the ante for the forfeit, do a "dangerous" magic trick, no need to drag two societies in to the lame "series".
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Over 70 peeps and only one comment !!! Looks like Im on a one man crusade here and I find that a bit worrying. I still find it hard to understand how we can be sold down the river and with no come back from these idiots I guess they know of their own guilt.

Ken.
jay kirwan
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
107 Posts

Profile of jay kirwan
I'm with you Ken, these types of shows make my blood boil,

though it has to be said, the first maxim of the biz still

stands, " It aint what we do, but how we do it".

Thankfully we haven't had to suffer this crap out here (yet?)but

I have several magician friends in Europe who are tearing their

hair out over a real bad presentation of Franz Hararys "Slicer"

illusion on the same show.

The positive thing is, that with the general population having the

attention span of a gnat and the memory of a goldfish, we performers

will be the only ones remembering this next week!!

IMO TV hurt live entertainment for our generation though it too

is now struggling to draw regular audience numbers. The internet

is the new TV but there is so much "product" out there that only

the seriously addicted to our biz will bother searching and

they, possibly are the next generation of performers.
Doctor Mythsonian
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Doctor Mythsonian
Jay hit it on the head... The public will not absorb and retain this information for long. That being said, it absolutely sucks having shows like this produced, for no other reason, than to stir up the crap and make people talk about it, giving them the free publicity they so desperately wanted to generate.
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
My Blood Boiled over years ago, W/ "Circus of the Stars"...even when they put in time to learn acts/stunts it only cheapened what the true Seasoned Professionals were doing...Sure they learned to walk wire, or Fly, but hardly at the Skill level of Gene Mendez or Tito Gaona...
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Do you know who's doing the training?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2438 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Doctor Mythsonian has it right ... after a couple of beers and a trip to the loo, the public will not remember or care.

I prefer to compare the problem to any other performance genre: anybody can sing a song, it's up to the performer to make the audience care enough to put their drink down and appreciate the performance.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I go along with all stated here but still can`t twig as to why the giveaway is sideshow stunts. Let them belittle their own lame magic (Yep I saw the cock up with the slicer,,,hahaha it nearly fell appart on camera)But why try to kill sideshow. Again they havn`t grown any yet as nobody has called me over the coals regards my comments.

The IBM and Circle both been told about it but still not even a comment,,,what a gutless non descript bunch of pillocks,,,statements of ethics but when these are questioned they vanish !!!!! Remember all the fuss about the masked idiot and still no rebuff,,,so what good are these clubs with their hollow ethics ?

Equity is scared to comment cos even they have double standards and make money out of this BBC sham. Everyone seems to be talking in the closet but nothing out in the open ! When they start useing escapology as a throw away, then maybe enough would have been enough,,,or maybe not.

Its ok to say todays news is soon forgotten,,,but what of the guys going out this season with fire, BON, glass walking etc etc hell they will find it hard to put a value on it,,,agreed its not what you do but the way you do it to some degree,,,but the effect of eating fire is just that,,,you eat fire,,and if the speckies have seen a footballers wife with massive titties taught to eat fire in five seconds,,,where the hell is the danger ellement in there ???

Ken
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
OK anyone know what they are going to kill this weekend ??? I should be back at base on Sunday so will be out of the loop when they try to exterminate sideshow this week.

Already booked to get blood pressure checked on Monday,,,gits.

Ken
jay kirwan
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
107 Posts

Profile of jay kirwan
Remember being approached in the 80s to teach some

randomly selected member of the public to do the

straitjacket for a Noel Edmonds show.

Much as the publicity oughta have worked in

my favour, I declined.

The participant fell and died and for some

time after all such stunts involving members of the public

were banned by the BBC.

The producers of such shows will continue to mine

this vein of content until such an incident occurs again

or something shinier and cheaper to produce comes along.
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
I dunno what kinda of following the show has in the UK, but I watched the first episode and found it, in every way, boring.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Not watched this series due to the farce that was the first series.

For me the final nail was Luis de Matos's suspended straitjacket escape that was, how can I put it, performed appallingly badly.

It's sad to hear that sideshow is being treated in this manner yet again. I've taken broken glass walking out of my own show since I had a spec at a gig last season cause trouble due to them seeing it on the Magicians in January 2011.

Luckily my show isn't purely sideshow, the escapology is my main feature. But I feel for those going out this year with a 100% sideshow stunt act.

I'm also not a member of the Circle or the IBM. Neither organisation has any real clout within the magical world. As for Equity, I joined them for the PLI. There's only one "magic" org that I would join. They know who I am. When they decide I'm ready they'll call.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/art......aig.html

I like this quote the most: "Danny Hunt, who devises the death-defying forfeit stunts which bring each show to a nail-biting climax."

Had no idea he was involved, or indeed performed sideshow stuff.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Eric the Excellent
View Profile
Loyal user
Montana
234 Posts

Profile of Eric the Excellent
Ugh, is this a fairly common thing? I know there have been "Magic's greatest secrets revealed" type shows before, but this just seems... worse.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yup. Let's just encourage people to try stuff without any real training. Dipsh*ts, that's what they are.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
And totally irresponsible.

www.bladewalker.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Yes and this is just the tip of it.

Danny Hunt ala (Blackcat Magic) Sells escapology gear, does illusions under the banner of escapes and dosnt do Sideshow.

Seems another one has gotten their thirty pieces of silver. Coupled to Mr Goodwins efforts which have now stopped the Discovery channel booking any future escapology works !!!

What are these idiots doing, cutting off their own income in order to get a few pennies (They pay peanuts to monkeys) The escape and I use the word escape very very loosely side of the "Magicians show" was not escapology, it was basic, very basic illusion.

To have several respected (I thought) Ea`s sell their own kind down the swanny is a disgrace.

So to identify these a***s credentiald >>>> Goodwin who steals others ideas, presents them very badly and has no escapology ability.
Or Mr Hunt (With an H or should that be with a C!!) >> Paid as advisor to Sideshow but never done it himself hahaha or advisor to escapes,,,,oh yes he bills himself as an escapologist,,,seen his work (Remember the Blackpool Convention when he was hung upside down for an hour on stage in front of a laughing audience) Or the other times when this illusionist useing the principals of illusion under the name of escapology!!!!! I am disgusted by such.

Thank the Lord I am in partial reirement and no longer have to depend on a full seasons work in order to survive. Back then such as these scum would have been taken to the side of the showground and given a lesson in decency.

UKEA meet this month,,,,Equity,IBM and Circle do nothing, maybe we as common minded entertainers can have some sway,,,well at least we can have nothing to do with these prostitutes who`s own greed will eventually destroy themselves.

Ken.
WEASEL DANDAW
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of WEASEL DANDAW
Ken,

This is high on my agenda for the UKEA meeting in a few weeks.

We need to have a discussion with the members to see where we can take this.

I already know of one act that has suffered. He was told "his events were stopped and yes it was because of the Magicians show which labelled his work as non danger and easy."

This is just the first of many in my opinion. I don't know what the best way to go about stopping this is yet, but if we put our heads together, hopefully we will find a way to stop this before it goes too far.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
There's one like it in production in the US.

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » The Magicians BBC 1 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL