The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » About conspiracy theories... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Here's an interesting abstract a friend sent my way, from a study at the University of Kent:
Quote:
Conspiracy theories can form a monological belief system: a self-sustaining worldview comprised of a network of mutually supportive beliefs. The present research shows that even endorsement of mutually incompatible conspiracy theories are positively correlated. In Study 1 (n = 137), the more participants believed that Princess Diana faked her own death, the more they believed that she was murdered. In Study 2 (n = 102), the more participants believed that Osama Bin Laden was already dead when U.S. special forces raided his compound in Pakistan, the more they believed he is still alive. Hierarchical regression models showed that mutually incompatible conspiracy theories are positively associated because both are associated with the view that the authorities are engaged in a cover-up (Study 2). The monological nature of conspiracy belief appears to be driven not by conspiracy theories directly supporting one another, but by broader beliefs supporting conspiracy theories in general.

Bibliographic information here: http://kar.kent.ac.uk/28566/

I wonder what our resident conspiracy theorists would think of that study. Or more accurately, I wonder what two or or more things our resident conspiracy theorists would think of that study.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of magicfish
They would all think the same thing. That the study was cooked up by the Feds and that's exactly what they WANT you to believe..........................man.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
One thing I know for sure...they're exaggerating the effect, to discredit conspiracy theorists.

Another thing is, they're downplaying it, to not give 'em too much press.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
There is no such thing as a conspiracy. Anyone who believes in conspiracies is just plain crazy.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
On 2012-01-31 06:54, irossall wrote:
There is no such thing as a conspiracy. Anyone who believes in conspiracies is just plain crazy.
Iven Smile

Now I'm wondering what conspiracies Iven is covering up.

That's a good article. I would believe in conspiracies easier if I thought people could keep secrets.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Not to get political, but there is a certain Kenyan who follows the teachings of a militant christian leader, who also is secretly trying to impose a Muslim lifestyle.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Aliens invented science to pacify us.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2012-01-31 07:31, Destiny wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-31 06:54, irossall wrote:
Iven Smile

Now I'm wondering what conspiracies Iven is covering up.

That's a good article. I would believe in conspiracies easier if I thought people could keep secrets.

Able to keep secrets, plus the resources, time and motivation to keep it up. I guess a lot of people need to believe in something..
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
If you really want to hear about every conspiracy theory known to man then check out Eddie Bravo's Twitter feed. That dude smokes more grass than Bob Marley and it shows. But he sure loves bunnies, so I can't hate the guy.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
The biggest conspiracies are out in the open. It started since humans could think.

It stretches heaven and earth.

Code word : The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » About conspiracy theories... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL