The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Great Divorce (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Interesting. Certainly can't agree with his conclusion/solution. Unless I missed the satire, or irony, forcing people together generally not a good idea. Encouraging it, sure, but "jam[ming] the tribes together" not so good.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Stone, for God's sake, I don't need another book!!!

Now, I gotta go find that one. Great article, and seems to cast (no pun) the current trends accurately...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Looks good, Stone, and certainly makes a lot of sense. Will have to check his book out.

Best-

Bob
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
On order. Charles Murray is smart and thoughtful and has the courage to base his analyses on observable data.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Oddly enough, I was just reading about this... but from a less flattering review:
http://www.salon.com/2012/01/30/charles_......t_again/
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-01-31 09:07, stoneunhinged wrote:
Here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/31/opinio......emc=eta1

Comments?

Reads pretty much like the social commentary in Orwell's 1984 - the Goldstein's book section. What's new?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Another article about this book from last weekend's Globe and Mail (I guess all the opinion writers got the book at the same time) here in Canada:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opin......2318042/

The comments at the bottom may be more interesting than the article itself. I don't know, but anyway there are lots of them to look at.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Great Divorce (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL