The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » How do you start ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Moonlightshadow
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Moonlightshadow
Okay...

I'm a bit shy to ask this, but...

How do you start once you've started already?

Once you've studied books...
Once you have practiced...
Once you have rehearsed...

Once you think you are ready to perform...
How do you get in the open? I'd hate to be an armchair mentalist/bizarrist forever...
Psychic entertainment (my kind of it) isn't any good for children under 14 years and my friends and relatives have seen my repertoire...

So I ask to the seasoned performers here: what is the next step to take???
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Well, since the Perfect excuse for a Bizarre themed party is just around the corner...have a party! Tell folks, perhaps, you will try a number of Physcic entertainments-minimize or eliminate any alcohol to avoid the drunk factor, and have a good time!

Depending on how you have practiced (and bled) for your art, you might tie in several area. As an example, I was roped into doing some palmistry for a high end party where I worked, this led to several requests both private and from local groups. I have done an annual event for an animal shelter group, they pay me well, I get tips, and dinner! I do palms, cards, and the odd effect, depending on the person I am working with, this has growm into a few more opportunities. I really have not done much advertising, but I do stay fairly busy, so ...there is one method, or three!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
To get your feet wet, perform some quick, simple, strong routines anytime you can to friends as well as people you've never seen.

I don't know your personality so I have no idea what to exactly suggest, but maybe saying "I've been working on something a little strange, do you mind if I show it to you?" I don't know ... you'll have to come up with your own approach but make it casual, not too far from your personality, and not something stuffy and strict.

You'll soon see where you need to improve, and when you need to start making business cards to get work around town.

:comply:
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
This is my suggestion. Take it for what it's worth.

You want to break into the adult party field with your bizarre entertainment talents. Put an ad in the paper touting your party entertainment abilities and for people to get in touch with you soon about scheduling their party soon. Now once you have these parties scheduled and your routine set list in hand and well practiced. Put together a Bizarre Christmas party. Bring little 4"x5" fliers to hand out at the party that talk about this type of party. Also have a Bizarre New Years party in the bag. Once you have those parties scheduled put together a Bizarre Valentine's Day program and tout those at the Christmas and New Years Parties.
Now you are coming up on the spring season. If you do any type of readings what-so-ever (Tarot, Rune, Palm, Tea Leaves, Cold, Pendulum) you need to make up a little 4"x5" flier to hand out at the Valentine's Day Parties that will get you women's luncheons and local carnival gigs.

You get the picture? One party gives you leads into the next or many others. As with any other type of magic party type. If anyone ever asks for your card ALWAYS get theirs in return or at least their name and number. Write on the back what you discussed and when their function is coming up. Then do some follow up with them at the appropriate time. This can be a great way to break into the corporate party scene.

Just an idea. Take it for what it's worth.
Doug
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
Moonlightshadow
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Moonlightshadow
Thank you, guys...

Yes, I do readings... Tarot, mainly. I like the party ideas... And I certainly WILL stroll around and show my effects to people...
It will surely make me nervous at first... Then again, I have showed bizarre magick to a club of conjurors and in magick, I suppose that's the most frightning thing I'll ever do...

Thanks again and other ideas and suggestions are more than welcome...

Moonlightshadow
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
You van generate interest, ans showcase a little bit by doing a simple one card "general" reading when you are strolling. Carry a deck, have them choose a card, give them a quick (1 minute or so) reading, while you are talking, let ehm return the card to the deck, perhaps you can use your favorite card move to bring it to the top with a bard or YOurs waxed to the face, and tell them you something like, you feel so strongly about their attachment to this card.....(lift the top, there is their choice, and your business card......! ) you have shown them your skill amd ability, better than a yellow pages add for them if they are looking for some party entertainment!
Again, just another thought!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Some Bed and Breakfast places might be interested in some evening entertainment, especially if it were free. This would give you experience and enable you to gauge how your various routines go over with a real lay audience.

The audience would likely be small, but this could be a good thing, especially for close-up work.

Another venue might be dinner parties, either one you give yourself or at a friend's house. During my later dress rehearsals for a new routine, we have friends over for dessert and a show. Usually, we have only a few at a time. This allows me to have more rehearsal sessions before I have shown the routine to all the available people. All of this is in preparation for performing the routine at a bizarre magic convention.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » How do you start ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL