The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Largest markings for marked deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
nspikito
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of nspikito
I bought a UMD marked deck. It has a very deceptive marking system. Unfortunately my old eyes can't read them without glasses. Of the available marked decks, which one has the largest markings? I'm really not worried about spectators spotting the markings. The effects I'd like to use won't draw that kind of scrutiny.

Spike
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Try getting a Juiced deck.....The marks can be very large.
Unfortunately, real Juiced cards can be pricey. You may be able to get fake Juiced cards for less money if you search the net.
Long Island,

New York
Chris Henderson
View Profile
Special user
Indiana -- Anyone w/ no life would have
563 Posts

Profile of Chris Henderson
Sent you a PM.
"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"

--Gerry Spence
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Now, that's a very interesting statement. Most of the members here are trying to find a marked deck with the highest invisibility or the most hidden markings. But you are looking for the larger (or as you asked, largest) markings and not worried about spectators to be able to spot them.

Just wondering what kind of trick that is Smile
Magic comes through perception. -HS
nspikito
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of nspikito
Quote:
On 2012-02-03 15:11, Failed Magician wrote:
Now, that's a very interesting statement. Most of the members here are trying to find a marked deck with the highest invisibility or the most hidden markings. But you are looking for the larger (or as you asked, largest) markings and not worried about spectators to be able to spot them.

Just wondering what kind of trick that is Smile

Imagine asking the spectator to freely shuffle and cut the cards and then place the deck on the table. You will know what card is on top of the pack from the markings. Then have the spectator do a specific series of shuffles, cuts, and deals in which you can keep track of that card without staring intently at the cards. By the time you show that you know the card, the idea of a marked deck won't even occur to the hapless spectator.

Spike
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Spike, please post if you come up with the ideal deck as I share your, ehem, 'problem'!
nspikito
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of nspikito
Quote:
On 2012-02-04 07:17, jugglestruck wrote:
Spike, please post if you come up with the ideal deck as I share your, ehem, 'problem'!

I will let everyone know. From what I've seen so far, the Boris Wild deck is much easier to read than the UMD. I am still wondering about Phoenix marked decks, either standard size or Parlor size. But I haven't seen what the markings look like yet. I contacted a company that sells juiced decks, and they thought that the markings would be tough to read for me. I'll take their word on that, since juiced decks are pretty expensive.

If I can't find something that works, I'll either give up the idea of using a marked deck (I have plenty of material without such effects), or else use reading glasses. Harry Lorayne often puts glasses on when he needs to during a performance, like when he does a faro shuffle. He says something like, "This is so good; I want to see it myself." His glasses often lie on the table next to him, so he can easily put them on and take them off. The obvious problem with using glasses with a marked deck is that putting them on raises suspicion.

Spike
BWind
View Profile
Loyal user
Honolulu, Hawaii
262 Posts

Profile of BWind
Spike,
The Ted Lesley System might be just what the Doc ordered; I too am farsighted and need readers to see up close; If you are familiar with the System, I can point you in the right direction to "juice-up" the deck ..... I am not certain if they still sell the marked deck;
BWind
nspikito
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of nspikito
Quote:
On 2012-02-04 14:28, BWind wrote:
Spike,
The Ted Lesley System might be just what the Doc ordered; I too am farsighted and need readers to see up close; If you are familiar with the System, I can point you in the right direction to "juice-up" the deck ..... I am not certain if they still sell the marked deck;
BWind

I am certainly interested, BWind. How can I juice up a deck? Point away!

Spike
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Highly recommend the Lesley system.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On 2012-02-04 14:28, BWind wrote:
The Ted Lesley System might be just what the Doc ordered; I am not certain if they still sell the marked deck;

The material to make one yourself is still available in different magic shops. A prepaired deck I don't know.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
These days it seems you can only buy a jumbo deck in the Lesley system.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
nspikito
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of nspikito
I thought that Phoenix cards were marked with the Lesley system?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
No, not at all.
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
226 Posts

Profile of pattrick
Spike, I sent you PM hope it came through.
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
There were some helpful thoughts here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=205
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
I am working on a marked deck which has some good marks. It is similar to the Ted Lesley deck, but the markings can be erased at ease and are quite noticeable if you know what you are looking for.

Hopefully, I'll get a couple of magi friends to check it out and see if it is an original idea.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
You may want to check the gambling section in the Café......gamblers need to read cards across an 8 foot table and their life depends upon deceptive marks.
Long Island,

New York
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
I agree on the Ted Lesley deck. Boris Wild second. There is also a way you can make your own deck & make the marks as large as you want. You can purchase a pen called Gelly Roll at staples or OfficeMax. It's a fine tipped white writing pen. You can just write on the back of the card yourself making any marks you want. It stays wet for a short amount of time. So after you write on it set it aside for few minutes until it dries completely.
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Largest markings for marked deck (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL