The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Roman Polanski (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
The semester ends in two weeks or so, so I'm stocking up on DVDs for the break. (That and the Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition which should appear by the end of the month.)

And I was about to click on "Chinatown" to put in the shopping cart, and I thought, "No." I've got a think about Roman Polanski. I'm not consciously boycotting him or anything like that. I just don't want to put money in his pocket.

Yeah yeah, I figure that I've put plenty of money in the pockets of people of similar character; but I wasn't clearly aware that I was doing it. That might make me a hypocrite.

Still, I have a problem putting money in Polanski's pocket.

Anyone else feel the same way about him or any other artists?

I mean, I can remember people getting upset over Tiger Woods' behavior. But he didn't rape a thirteen-year-old girl, as far as we know, did he?
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I'm sure there are a lot of good people who deserve royalties from that movie. Maybe you could offset the bad flow of cash by making a donation to a charity that helps abused children.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Thanks, Josh. That's a really good way to look at it. The other people shouldn't have their incomes punished because of Polanski.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6021 Posts

Profile of motown
In general I've never been a big fan of Polanski's work. Plenty of other films to spend your money on.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
The early work is very good. "Knife in the Water," "Repulsion," and the "Fearless Vampire Killers," and of course "Rosemary's Baby" are better than his subsequent work.

Stone, I'm sure you know the discussion in "Rameau's Nephew" about the relative weight to be given an artist's work and his personal qualities.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Nice suggestion by Josh. Personally, while I understand your concerns, I've always kept my feelings about an artist separate from my $$ choices.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I honestly would be surprised if he didn't make money of it, him being a "fugitive" and all. On that one, I bet Robert Evans had a lot more points than Polanski.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Lobo, in general I agree about keeping artists separate from my €€. But sometimes it bugs me that artists aren't just swinish, low-class sociopaths, but downright rapists and murderers.

But I think Josh nailed it: why single out a director? I suppose that I could have refused to buy the Naked Gun movies because OJ must have gotten a royalty.

Of course, now that I think about it: in theory, OJ's royalty is owed to the Ron Golman family. So in some sense, justice should be done.

But Polanski just ran off and never faced justice. I think that's what has always bothered me about his story. Had he gone to trial, served time, paid his (unpayable) debt, then I wouldn't have a problem with him getting my money.

I realize that it's only the high publicity of these cases that make me contemplate these things. I certainly don't ask for police reports on everyone involved in the latest theater project in town before deciding to go see the play.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I have always wondered if he was irreparably damaged in '69. Not an excuse, just wondered if all would have been so different had it not been for Manson...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-02-05 09:45, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
I have always wondered if he was irreparably damaged in '69. Not an excuse, just wondered if all would have been so different had it not been for Manson...

That might well be. Again, not an excuse, but how could he NOT have been seriously affected when his pregnant wife was butchered by sociopaths?
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Shame Polanski wasn't with his wife that night.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Oooooh, that's harsh!

No one deserved what Manson and his followers did at that house that night, nor in the LaBianca house.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-02-05 10:49, Kevin Connolly wrote:

Apart from being "harsh" (far too mild a term IMO), that completely misses the point. The murders took place well BEFORE the incident with the thirteen year old. What is being questioned here is whether the murder of his wife and unborn child possibly had an effect on Polankski's psyche that influenced his later behavior.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-02-05 11:18, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-05 10:49, Kevin Connolly wrote:

Apart from being "harsh" (far too mild a term IMO), that completely misses the point. The murders took place well BEFORE the incident with the thirteen year old. What is being questioned here is whether the murder of his wife and unborn child possibly had an effect on Polankski's psyche that influenced his later behavior.

I admit I am not a psychologist but I just do not see how the two could be connected in any way. I mean we can stretch to any conclusion we want. How about he is a no good child molester. Why? Because his mother never bought him a bicycle when he was a youngster and it scared him for life. If that floats your boat OK..Just seems that to believe that, one has to really be reaching. Lot of people have gone through tramadic things in their life and have notcommitted such things as a result. With that mentality there would be no guilty people in the world it would all be because something happened to them that changed their lives and the devil made them do it. It is simple. How about this: He is a child rapist and left the country to avoid prosecution.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Did you notice that I specifically said that I didn't feel that anything excused his actions? Or are you more interested in putting words in my mouth. It's just a theoretical discussion after all.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Just what is the point of the followiing phrase of yours in the whole scheme of things? It follows: but how could he NOT have been seriously affected when his pregnant wife was butchered by sociopaths?

Affected how? Affected to drive him to commit what he did? Is that what you are implying because it sounds that way? Not putting words in your mouth just making refrence to your remark. Of course it affected him. So why the comment? What does it have to do with the discussion if you are not using it as a defense for his actions.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I was responding to the question that appeared directly before that comment.

But as it appears that you are only interested in picking a fight I have nothing further to say.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-02-05 05:12, stoneunhinged wrote:

But Polanski just ran off and never faced justice. I think that's what has always bothered me about his story. Had he gone to trial, served time, paid his (unpayable) debt, then I wouldn't have a problem with him getting my money.

I believe it is fair enough for you or I or anyone to judge Polanski for his documented actions with the 13-year old.

However, regarding what you said, Polanski did go to court and face a judge and plead guilty and he served time at Chino State Prison (under psychiatric evaluation) as part of a negotiated plea deal. The system said he should be released early, and he was. The judge agreed to commute his sentence to the 42 days already served.

People can argue about what happened after that. As far as I can tell, both sides agree that the judge was going to throw out the plea deal and, more importantly, was acting bizarrely. This is what the Prosecutor in the case said about the judge and Polanski: "He didn't care what happened to me, and he didn't care what happened to Polanski. He was orchestrating some little show that I didn't want to be in ... I'm not surprised that [Polanski] left under those circumstances".

Maybe you already knew all of that (I certainly wasn't until a few years back) ... I just wasn't sure from your comment and so I mentioned it in case you were not.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Balducci, no I didn't know all of that.

Maybe when I'm finished with the semester I'll read some more about the case.

Maybe you should post a link or two.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
The last movie I saw with Jane Fonda in it was Cat Ballou. Then I went into the USAF in 1967. Then Jane Fonda went to North Vietnam and had pictures of her aiming an anti aircraft gun to the skies in a pose that mimmicked her shooting at American pilots. She's a bucket of pond scum and I'll never see a film of hers. If she's on a TV interview or some such thing, I turn the channel.

I also don't put money into the pockets of Sean Penn anymore. His anti American shennanigans make me wish I could spit in his face.

I better quit here because I could go on and on about the Hollywood types who think they know what's best for the rest of us.

As for the OP, I agree with him on Polanski too. Pure slime ball.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Roman Polanski (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL