The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Cards in mouth (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SmithMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of SmithMagicMan
I've got a really old and used pack of cards, and recently I've been doung a card to mouth, where the card is folded up inside my mouth, and I sort of spit it out(:

I recently drew a flipchart on the back of a pack (bit like cardtoon) and am using these cards to put them in my mouth.

Is doing this safe? Either with sharpie on them or not, is it safe for me to be doing that? Cheers(:
SmithMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of SmithMagicMan
Hullo?
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
356 Posts

Profile of Loopback
Straight from Wikipedia...

There are no warning labels on Sharpie markers. However, that does not make them safe. To some, their smell is noxious, even after drying for several minutes. To others, the fumes from a Sharpie are enjoyable and are used to get high. They bear the new AP (Approved Product) certification symbol of The Art & Creative Materials Institute, Inc. (ACMI). According to the organization:
The new AP (Approved Product) Seal, with or without Performance Certification, identifies art materials that are safe and that are certified in a toxicological evaluation by a medical expert to contain no materials in sufficient quantities to be toxic or injurious to humans, including children, or to cause acute or chronic health problems. However, this does not mean that materials are not irritants or allergens. This seal is currently replacing the previous non-toxic seals: CP (Certified Product), AP (Approved Product) and HL Health Label (Non-Toxic) over a 10-year phase-in period. Such products are certified by ACMI to be labeled in accordance with the chronic hazard labeling standard, ASTM D 4236, and the U.S. Labeling of Hazardous Art Materials Act (LHAMA).”

They are considered non-toxic for "normal uses", meaning writing on posters, soccer balls and such. Sharpie is not meant for skin but is not dangerous. It would take over an ounce (about 29 milliliters) of ink from a Sharpie to cause a reaction, and if a Sharpie is used on the skin it generally won’t cause an immediate or obvious health effect. The only time that the ink from the sharpie marker would have any reaction to skin would be if the person has an allergy to a type of alcohol, because according to the manufacturer[6], various Sharpies contain: n-propanol, n-butanol, diacetone alcohol and cresol. The first of these, n-propanol, is commonly used in cosmetics. The other three, however, are industrial solvents, chemicals that should not be sniffed, eaten, or put on the skin. As solvents, they penetrate the skin and fingernails and can enter the bloodstream. That makes the Sharpie ink a potential health hazard.
Magnum Sharpie, King Size Sharpie and Touch-up Sharpie products contain xylene. The Magnum and King Size Sharpies also contain cresol. However, all other products in the Sharpie line are free of these chemicals and are considered safe under "normal use". These chemicals are not tested for human consumption, only incidental environmental exposure. So the chemical manufacturers’ technical data sheets on these chemicals are ambiguous with respect to how much should be considered a hazardous dosage. These documents do warn of kidney, liver, brain damage, other nervous disorders, and DNA effects resulting in birth defects. OSHA has set permissible exposure limits (PEL) at 100ppm for n-butanol, 50ppm for diacetone alcohol, and 5ppm for cresol. As with all volatile organic liquids, beware of potential upper respiratory inflammatory responses as these solvents can be irritants.
Some products have been reported to be able to remove this product from the skin, such as rubbing alcohol, denatured alcohol, nail polish remover, facial cleaning pads, toothpaste, and even deodorant.[7] Tabasco sauce or any vinegar based product is also particularly effective at removing the ink from skin. However, the ink wears off on its own within approximately two days as the ink is on skin cells that are constantly being shed. Organic solvents such as acetone and ethyl acetate are very effective at removing Sharpie ink.
Yekrats
View Profile
Loyal user
Dayton, Indiana
208 Posts

Profile of Yekrats
Aside from the "Is Sharpie ink poisonous?" question, I would also question whether a "really old and used pack of cards" would be sanitary to put in one's mouth!

Yuck, think of the germs, man! Can't you come up with some other impossible location other than "mouth"?
--
Corporate or event magic & mentalism: http://WizardoftheWabash.com
SmithMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of SmithMagicMan
Mmm, I'm thinking of using a brand new pack of cards, instead of old ones - and the brand new ones would not have any sharpie on them.

I read the wikipedia thing, but I am still unsure of wether it is hygenic to put them in my mouth
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
356 Posts

Profile of Loopback
They have the AP seal. You are not going to be eating them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I am sure it's not going to kill you.
SmithMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of SmithMagicMan
Cheers buddy(:
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
Ink, especially the permanent type is rarely a good thing to ingest. I'd stick to using unmarked cards.
Germ-wise, you could probably get away with using previously used cards if you have a normal and healthy immune system. Still, it's probably not a good idea to eat cards that have been passed through many hands.
SmithMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of SmithMagicMan
Yeah, I only used the cards with markings on cause they're the ones I had available at the time - though I did get a fit girls number out ofnit - lawls.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Cards in mouth (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL