The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Am I the only one here that doesn't like football? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It's nice that good Super Bowls are the norm again...there was quite a stretch where they were almost all blowouts.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I watched the game but it is the first one I've seen other than OU or Georgia games in about 15 years.
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
I've never been a sports enthusiast. On the rare times I have been invited to Superbowl parties I have treated it as a coke and chip get together with some noise coming off the television. I can score with friends wives, as they are as interested in sports as I am, I peruse bookshelves when the actual game is on and generally occupy myself with stuff other than the game. Same thing with the Canadian Football League Grey Cup.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Quote:
Baseball, two and a half minute of action, suspense and dram crammed into three hours. Smile

Hi Payne,

It shouldn't take 3 hours, and didn't before television. In 1919, the NY Giants bested the Phillies (6 - 1) in 9 innings at the (450 foot center field) Polo Grounds in . . . . 51 minutes.

Back in the day, games started late enough in the afternoon for the spectators to take the time off from work, and had to be finished by nightfall.

W.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
That 51-minute game was quite the aberration, though. A typical game was a couple of hours. Still markedly faster than today's version, true.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Of course. That is the shortest game on record. But as you say, I think most games could be played in 120 - 150 minutes.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Since I'm in New England, I'll watch the game if it's the Patriots. Otherwise, it'll have to be a great halftime show OR some really good commercials.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Went through a phase of pretending not to like it in High School during my misfit phase. Now that I'm old enough to just be myself I can openly like it again.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-02-07 00:41, critter wrote:
Went through a phase of pretending not to like it in High School during my misfit phase. Now that I'm old enough to just be myself I can openly like it again.

We didn't have to pretend we didin't like it in my high school as we had the worst team in the state. My sophmore year they managed to lose every single game. Which of course pleased me to no end as I thought it was cool to go to a school whose team had a perfect record.

Oddly when I was choosing which high school to attend (we ha two to choose from) all of my classmates told me that I shouldn't go to the school I chose as their football team was awful. I thought at the time that this was an odd reason to use to decide which school one should attend. Especially since I wasn't going to be on the football team nor ever go to a game.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
I was never a fan of any professional sports until recently. I wonder if it's because I grew up in Las Vegas. Vegas is like the Switzerland of professional sports. There are no local teams, so in that sense it's neutral. But it makes all the odds, which I guess is kind of like the Switzerland's banking industry.

(College sports, of course, is a whole other story.)

In any case, I moved to Boston with my wife, who is from Buffalo. She was all too happy to trade in her perpetual heart-breakers for the Patriots. (This was even before the Patriots' era of dominance.) Through her, I've come to appreciate football. Still can't get into baseball though. Probably one of those things you have to grow up with.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Is it over?
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Am I the only one here that doesn't like football? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL