The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Routine that utilize MD+Mark Deck? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
I have heard of using MD with mark deck before,but in real life,I only perform tricks using MD alone.
Are there any published work on MD mixing Mark deck?Does mixing MD with mark deck really better than MD alone?
Because from my exprience I think using MD alone is strong enough.
Please helping me,Thanks
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
If you use a MD, you spread, estimate, peak and correct. If you use a MD and a marked deck, you can be a lot more casual about things. Is there anything in print that uses both? Virtually anything that uses a MD alone can be done with both of these tools.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
This is true, but keep in mind that many things you can do with a MD are so unbelievable that spectators often think you are using a marked deck even if you don't do. So use it wisely... I often when doing stage or stand up leave the deck as a gift with spectators. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
Boris Wild had an effect that used both in the Genii issue on which he was the cover subject, within the last year. It is a nice effect, IMO.

John
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
I don't know the trick in Genii, but in his DVD serie there is a very strong trick with the combination MD-MD.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Two comments: First, in Simon Aronson's book "Bound to Please" look up the effect with the Zensational stack which Simon incorporated into his mem-deck stack. This allows you to have any one of the 9 different poker hands selected and you deal that hand to the desired person at the table. (Yourself, the guy to your left, etc.) All deals are for a four-handed poker game. This is a powerful effect for poker players and worth having in your arsenal. It requires that you start the deal from different places in the deck and this is much easier to accomplish if the deck is also marked so that you know where you're at without having to glimpse the bottom card repeatedly.

Dennis Loomis

P. S. I created a very simple series of mnemonic codes so that you know, for example, if you want to deal a flush you start with the 30th card on top of the deck. That will put the flush into the hand of the person to your left. If you want it somewhere else, you will then need to move either one, two, or three cards from the bottom to the top. If anyone is working on this, feel free to send me an email and ask and I'll send you the list of mnemonic codes I came up with. You'll need to know the phonetic alphabet to utilize my codes, but most mem-deck workers will already know that. I also have a way to restore your Aronson stack after this effect, using a simple follow-up effect.
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Vayron
View Profile
Loyal user
Belgium
229 Posts

Profile of Vayron
Boris Wild's book has a hole chapter on the MD and the marked deck. Have a look at it, it's worth the price. Check on youtube his effect called pure telepathy. Wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRXhPLrpLgU
magicmann
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of magicmann
Which book are you refering to.

Paul
Vayron
View Profile
Loyal user
Belgium
229 Posts

Profile of Vayron
The complete Boris Wild marked deck I think. I have the book in french.
magicmann
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of magicmann
Thanks

Paul
mindexplorer
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of mindexplorer
One of the main advantages of the marking is that it allows you to "know" without the peek of the bottom card. Look at some of Osterlind's material and imagine not having to handle the pack once it is given to the spectator. By combining the two you can even tell people, "I looking away while you hide your card so that even if the cards were marked I wouldn't be able to see it." Richard Osterlind does this if the person accidently flashes the bottom of the pack before he has the pack returned to put in the box. Richard will back away several feet and have them put the cards in the box, etc. so that he doesn't come anywhere near them. If it is marked, you could always do it this way.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
You'll find easily main disadvantages too Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
mindexplorer
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of mindexplorer
Quote:
On 2012-04-25 18:41, JanForster wrote:
You'll find easily main disadvantages too Smile Jan

Sorry Jan, but this is too cryptic for me. If you mean that the spectator will find the marks, I guess it would depend on the marking system as to how easy this would be. Of course, I realize that if the marks are too difficult to find, they may be difficult to find for the performer as well.

I do prefer to use marks where they are buried in another method, thus the use of the MD. This way the trick isn't so obviously possible using marks, as Jan mentioned in his first post.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Routine that utilize MD+Mark Deck? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL