The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » R/C Aerial Photography (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Are there any Café members that have the equipment to take aerial photography?

In particular, a remote controlled helicopter with a video camera mounted that can send real-time images to the ground in an isolated area with no power source? Or close to that even?

If so ... please get in touch with me. I may have a job for you on a top secret project I am working on. It doesn't pay much, but comes with awesome bragging rights.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Better check with the FAA; I believe flying a remote controlled copter for real-time surveillance is illegal. Or at least requires a license...
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Why do I have this feeling we'd end up at Area 51 being shot at by troops?
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I have. Anyone that has the equipment I mentioned will most likely already have FAA certification. If they don't have FAA certification, they can still shoot this for me as long as they are not being paid to do so.

And I have a plan B ... buy a "spy chopper" at Wal-Mart and film it myself. I'd rather find someone with the right equipment ... this type of setup is becoming common with a demand from real estate companies for such aerial photography.

Statement from the FAA:

Contrary to the blog posted to the Mi6 Film's website that you so kindly
provided, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not stopped the use
of all unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) being used for a commercial purpose
(i.e. other than for pleasure, recreation or sport use by an individual.)

Any person or company wishing to obtain FAA authorization to operate a UAS
in the U.S. airspace for a commercial purpose may do so.

For more information: http://www.faa.gov/a...es/uas/uas_faq/

Of course, the use of a small radio-controlled model aircraft by an
individual for pleasure, recreation or sport does not require FAA approval,
provided there is no compensation to the individual for its use.

Kind regards,

R. Lance Nuckolls
Aviation Safety Inspector - Flight Operations
FAA Office of Aviation Safety
Unmanned Aircraft Program Office (AFS-407)
Washington, DC Headquarters

-JoeJoe
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Is this too much?

Seriously though folks, JoeDeuce shared some of the details for his project.
His illusion is going to make national headlines, Wow!

Some of the biggest names in magic have tuned into the project.
I'm proud to know you JoeDeuce! Smile
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
There's this thing:

http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-dron......-it-work

It has an interesting set of controls. There's an on-board ad hoc network point. You join with your iOS or Android device, then pilot the drone via a navigation app. The range of the on-board network point limits the range, but it'd probably be an easy hack to tether a bona fide 3G radio, thus extending your range. Of course, you still have to fly the thing where it gets a 3G signal though. I guess an alternative is to modify the on-board network point with a high gain antenna.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Anything cheaper? I'm pretty sure I should be able to hire a pilot for less. $500 for something I'm going to use for 10 minutes is a little steep ... but at $500 it is more practical than the Dragonfly ($15,000). I'm meeting someone on Thursday that has a lot of knowledge on these RC things. I'm hoping he has ideas.

-JoeJoe
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2662 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Helicopter rentals, at least in the LA area, range between $200 to $400 an hour for the lower end Robinson 22s and 44s. Add to that a pilot which is likely to run anywhere from $100 to $150 an hour, which is again at the low end of things. A lot of guys will also require a kit rental fee (basically the fee to "rent" their photography equipment.) Airplane rentals are cheaper but not as user friendly when it comes to aerial footage, but depending on what you need it might work for you. I pay $110 an hour for a Piper Cherokee and have done some aerial photography with that, but I've found choppers to be a lot easier to work with, IF you choose to go with a manned aircraft and your budget allows it.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Mike Baxter
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, B.C.
87 Posts

Profile of Mike Baxter
Here's a post from an Australian RC forum: "In the early 2000s we used big remote control helicopters and carried 35mm motion picture cameras. Great business while it lasted. Insurance ended up killing us after 9/11."
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2012-02-07 15:28, MobilityBundle wrote:
There's this thing:

http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-dron......-it-work

I found these on ebay for about $300 ... was going to break down and buy one, but decided to read some reviews first ... problem:

Quote:
No Recording or Still Image Capture Capability?

Nope, and for me that is a much bigger issue than getting a fast FPV experience. Most of the people I know who mount small video cameras on their RC aircraft do so to record aerial video and take still aerial photographs. Obviously Parrot didn’t see this as something that the average AR Drone customer would want putting the focus more on the "augmented reality" side of it, but I know some people (myself included) would like to record images, even if it cost more.

Without being able to record the video, it is useless to me.

I imagine there could be a software hack that would allow recording, but it also seems the front mounted camera only has a 15 FPS resolution under "ideal" conditions ... there is a second camera facing straight down that the auto-pilot uses that is 60 FPS, but I don't need a straight down shot.

I'm still looking...

-JoeJoe
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Dragon Fly is $15 grand ... out of my budget.

But I have discovered people have wrote other apps for the AR Drone that allow video recording, and I've watched sample footage taken. Not exactly high quality, but more than suitable for my purposes.

So I've purchased one and now I have everything I need to perform my illusion. Hopefully I'll get this on film as early as next week. I may make a vlog post on my YouTube with a few details ... a few people know what I'm planning, and if you are familiar with my body of work you should be able to figure out what I've got in mind.

I've been a hush hush on it lately because I don't want someone to come along and steal my idea ... but at this point, I'm so far ahead it would be very difficult for anyone to beat me to it.

I've spent 10 years working this out ... this is really exciting!!!

-JoeJoe
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Good luck and have fun!!
Hope to see it soon.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » R/C Aerial Photography (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL