The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Doomsday Preppers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-02-09 01:21, diehards2080 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-08 11:27, magicfish wrote:
I am a prepper. But its not fir some potential doomsday.
I like to stay practiced in the skills my ancestors have used for millenia- Shelter building, fire building, edible wild plants, water purification and survival hunting and trapping.
All very useful skills, doomsday or not. Every year I read a story about a couple whos car broke down in the wilderness and despite their arsenal of smartphones, gps and onstar, they often perish within a short while. They panic, they freeze, they get hypothermia, they dehydrate, they get lost, they die.
Everyone should have survival skills. Nothing to do with doomsday.

This was where I was getting at. I guessed I should have named it survival skills and prepping but Doomsday Preppers is what got me thinking about survival skill and prepping for anything. I just wanted to see who of our esteemed Café memebers practice survival skills.

My kids' Godfather is a retired Air Force Survival Instructor. In addition to my practical field experience I've taken a stone age survival course at the college. Us and my other close friend have been meaning to make instructional videos on YouTube for un-equipped survival (not to advocate not carrying equipment, but to prepare for the worst case scenario of losing or forgetting something.) We just haven't gotten to it yet. Hard to organize all of our schedules together since we're currently scattered across the state.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2662 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Sounds like some people here are living in an action movie. Entertaining, but I prefer reality.

When the day comes that the sun does burn out, I wonder what things will be like here on earth. Will people know it's coming and have time to prepare, or will someone just switch the lights off and let everyone freeze to death? What an odd thing to think about....
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-02-09 02:23, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Sounds like some people here are living in an action movie. Entertaining, but I prefer reality.

I can only speak for myself, but my motivation for honing survival skills ain't from movies. I've been homeless living in a field in Winter and want to be prepared in the event that it happens again.
But my #1 goal is making sure it don't, because it wasn't the least bit "entertaining."
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I lived in Cliff's movie of the L.A. riots and a couple of major earthquakes, as well. Maybe there's a fantasy movie where everything works fine all the time and nobody could ever have to worry about anything.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
diehards2080
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, New York
256 Posts

Profile of diehards2080
In terms of people thinking that preppers are parnoid crazy people here is my thing.

I have always went with "I rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it". With that beeing said I have been taking survival classes and learing how to be self reliant. How to purify water, start fires with diffrent methods, track, trap etc. I have purchased items and learned things so that I could survive on my own until the appropriate help could come along. If it ever comes along.

Im not talking about stocking a small arsenal to the point where you could outfit a national guard unit or stocking 25 tons of food in an underground bunker that could survive a 3500 lbs JDAMM bomb.

Things like hurricane Irene, the giant north east coast black out in 2003, and the super bang-up job that was done during Katrina (FEMA/Martial Law) I rather be on the side of caution with a very very small dose of parniod mixed in.
diehards2080
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, New York
256 Posts

Profile of diehards2080
Quote:
On 2012-02-09 02:22, critter wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-09 01:21, diehards2080 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-08 11:27, magicfish wrote:
I am a prepper. But its not fir some potential doomsday.
I like to stay practiced in the skills my ancestors have used for millenia- Shelter building, fire building, edible wild plants, water purification and survival hunting and trapping.
All very useful skills, doomsday or not. Every year I read a story about a couple whos car broke down in the wilderness and despite their arsenal of smartphones, gps and onstar, they often perish within a short while. They panic, they freeze, they get hypothermia, they dehydrate, they get lost, they die.
Everyone should have survival skills. Nothing to do with doomsday.

This was where I was getting at. I guessed I should have named it survival skills and prepping but Doomsday Preppers is what got me thinking about survival skill and prepping for anything. I just wanted to see who of our esteemed Café memebers practice survival skills.

My kids' Godfather is a retired Air Force Survival Instructor. In addition to my practical field experience I've taken a stone age survival course at the college. Us and my other close friend have been meaning to make instructional videos on YouTube for un-equipped survival (not to advocate not carrying equipment, but to prepare for the worst case scenario of losing or forgetting something.) We just haven't gotten to it yet. Hard to organize all of our schedules together since we're currently scattered across the state.

Hey critter if you get those vids going eventually let me know. I wouldnt mind watching them. I being trained in Wilderness Survial, Trapping, Tracking and Camo/Movement. Also practical survival skills in a city setting.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
No need to prep here in Australia - we are more proactive than that - we make virgin sacrifices to appease the angry Gods. There was a shortage of virgins until we realised they needn't be female so now we just throw a magician into the fiery pit every few months.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2662 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I'm totally on board with survival skills. My comment was aimed more at the idea that you need guns...lots of them. Is the plan to just be shooting at everyone with both hands? Weapons blazing at the masses of people that will certainly be coming after us?
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
How about at the one guy who pulled Reginald Denny out of his truck and caved his skull in?

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Is our veneer of civilization so thin that in the event of a cataclysmic event we will all be shooting at each other rather than coming together to try to help one another?

Sorry, I don't care to live in such a world.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-02-09 11:34, mastermindreader wrote:

Sorry, I don't care to live in such a world.

You already do.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
No, I don't. Not yet, anyway. I still have faith in humanity however misguided I may be.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2012-02-09 11:15, Andrew Zuber wrote:
I'm totally on board with survival skills. My comment was aimed more at the idea that you need guns...lots of them. Is the plan to just be shooting at everyone with both hands? Weapons blazing at the masses of people that will certainly be coming after us?

I knew I'd get to the anti gun folks out there Smile I said several guns, not an arsenal. If you think the world order will remain as it is in circumstances you can't even imagine, think again. Like I said in my origanal post, enjoy your folly.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-02-09 12:00, mastermindreader wrote:
No, I don't. Not yet, anyway. I still have faith in humanity however misguided I may be.

It's a good attitude. I'd like to believe we'd all share, and help one another out etc. It might even start that way. But I don't think it would stay that way long if people got really desperate. Lets hope the S dosen't hit the F anytime soon.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'm pretty sure of three things, in such conditions:

1) We won't all help each other out.
2) We won't all turn into a rabid mob.
3) The general level of lawlessness will increase.

So as the gamblers say...Trust everyone, but cut the cards.

Or as the Boy Scouts say...Be prepared.

Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-02-09 12:36, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Or as the Boy Scouts say...Be prepared.

EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Eh? Guns? Me neither- I'm just going to stay holed up in my underground bunker till everyone runs out of ammo. After the apocalypse, gunpowder will be a limited resource.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-02-09 12:48, EsnRedshirt wrote:
After the apocalypse, gunpowder will be a limited resource.

A true prepper knows how to make his own.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-02-09 12:14, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-09 11:15, Andrew Zuber wrote:

I knew I'd get to the anti gun folks out there Smile I said several guns, not an arsenal. If you think the world order will remain as it is in circumstances you can't even imagine, think again. Like I said in my origanal post, enjoy your folly.

Guns might be good for hunting food so I hope you know how to dress a carcass etc.

But if the "world order" changes so much and things get so bad that you need guns to protect your family and your stash of food and supplies, I think you have already lost the battle and the war. Because if things get that bad, someone better armed than yourself (better armed members of the military, rogue militias, and / or mercenaries and private armies serving super rich members of the community) will be able to take you out without breaking a sweat.

I'd rather have wealth and connections. I suspect they will protect one far more than guns ever would.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-02-09 13:04, balducci wrote:
But if the "world order" changes so much and things get so bad that you need guns to protect your family and your stash of food and supplies, I think you have already lost the battle and the war. Because if things get that bad, someone better armed than yourself (better armed members of the military, rogue militias, and / or mercenaries and private armies serving super rich members of the community) will be able to take you out without breaking a sweat.

Maybe in the long term, but what about a short term event that lasts ten days or two weeks? How long does it take a grocery store to run out of food? How quickly do people go into panic mode?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Doomsday Preppers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL