The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Card Related Injury (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Desmanthus
View Profile
New user
Frankfort, MI
51 Posts

Profile of Desmanthus
I was wondering if anyone has any good stories about injurying themselves with cards. I thought of this when after a few days of practicing flourishes my left hand started to hurt.
Maybe I should slow it down a notch! Smile
Desmanthus
Sincerely Yours,
Desmanthus

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, for with strange aeons even death may die."
H.P. Lovecraft
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Stories? Yes.

Good? No.

;)
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
One time many years ago, I was practicing throwing cards at a poster on my wall and my brother walked in, and the next card I threw hit him right in the eye. I freaked out pretty bad, luckily there was no real damage. Smile
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
When first learning split fans and single productions, I literally practiced until my hand bled! Actually, this is a pretty universal experience, among those who practice this sort of thing. The edge of the cards rub against the inside of the little finger and will create kind of a "paper cut". Also there can be an abrasion to the first knuckle of the second finger. Over time, you will develop a callous ... the mark of the true split fan addict!
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Lets see I have

-given myself paper cuts, and smashed my head on a table while practicing the one handed shuffle (dropped cards and while getting up smashed my head)

-have had a spectator throw a card in my eye (was teaching the audience a simple card throw after doing a demonstration)

-wrist was hurt (not too bad but I wasn't doing any card work for like a week) when a spectator violently tried to yank a deck out of my hand to inspect it without asking first

lots of other stuff that I care not to mention or remember, the above is just the beginning, I have the worst luck out of anyone I know sometimes...
secretsonline
View Profile
New user
Canada
6 Posts

Profile of secretsonline
A really nasty paper cut while practicing the Spread Cull. Weeks later, I found I was not alone. Magician Gurn Blandston of Iowa experienced the same thing and we exchanged survivor stories.

Seriously, cramping does tend to creep up when you practice for long periods of time. I find what also starts happening is my grip on the cards will loosen, or cards will spring or fall.

The best way to avoid injuries is
a) get a good Magician's Insurance Policy, and
b) practice in increments of time to perserve your muscles.

Mike Mason Smile
All the Best Magic Wishes,
Mike Mason
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Just don't try to swallow an entire deck of cards.

Not even for a dare.

Trust me.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
Repetition for emphasis? Was it really that bad? I think I am safe because I can't even fit a mini-pack of cards in my mouth!

My worst injury? Wrist cramp from learning the Topshot. I couldn't write for a while.
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
re;
The best way to avoid injuries is
a) get a good Magician's Insurance Policy, and
b) practice in increments of time to perserve your muscles.

I can't see how having an insurance policy can help you AVOID injuries. Smile

Repetitive action syndrome (sometimes goes under other names) should be taken seriously. It's pointless mastering a move only to find in a few years it's too painful to do it! Some of you guys should take it far easier. At least break for lunch!

Paul Hallas.
John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
354 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
I once bottom palmed a deck of jumbo playing cards.......I couldn't walk for three days.
"One arrow. One life."
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
575 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Dealing Poker (as well as doing abnormal things with my hands like all magicians do) gave me carpel tunnel and radial ulnar syndrome. Arms and wrists hurt on a daily basis. What we do for magic.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Card Related Injury (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL