The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Post Your Stories! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Recently, I have been reading a book ("I Killed" by Ritch Shnyder and Mark Schiff). This book has assembled numerous stand-up comedians to share a funny, insightful, scary, or inspiring story that they experienced while on the road performing. So, I thought...magicians should have a book like this too! Well, instead of writing a book about it, I figured you guys could post them here. Just give a quick story while you were performing, getting ready to perform, etc. This should be fun, and it can be a great way to find and get some laughs.

I'll Start.

I was getting ready to perform at a library. The librarian was a good lady who loved to watch me perform. Well, she asked me to do a trick. Bringing out the deck of cards, I said, "Every good magician has a good card trick up his sleeve." So, I had her pick a card and replace it. Suddenly, I killed. I had absolutely no clue what I was supposed to do next. I forgot to get a break and I had no way of figuring out what card she chose through practical means.

What did I do? I simply said, "Okay. That was how most good magicians start a good card trick. Now, let me bring out the four aces and show you how to start a GREAT card trick."

The librarian didn't even notice.

Alright, so somebody post something funny. Let's get this started!
Big Sam
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
163 Posts

Profile of Big Sam
Great Book! - I had the pleasure of having Ron Shock tell me the Bill Hicks story in person and I don't think I've ever laughed so hard.

Here's one that happened to me (as a comic, not a magician)

I was hired to do a luncheon show for the Optimist club's regional convention. I told the guy who hired me that I was a night-club comic and worked "blue". No problem, he said they wanted something risque and told me the audience would be exclusively males from 20 to 40.

When I walked on stage the only man in the audience was the guy who hired me. The rest were grandmothers with their grandchildren. I was pretty new at this point and didn't know what to do, so I just went ahead and did my normal "adult" show and watched as the grannies grabbed the kids and ran out in horror. I was later told that the guy who hired me was a complete idiot and thought he'd "surprise" everyone with a stand-up comedy show. To add insult to injury, the check bounced.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Great topic!

I performed Vanishing Bandana for a group of young day care center kids and ane when shaking the hank showing it sans banana, the remains of the banana dropped right to the floor as I mishandled the hank. No one noticed it. Fortunately as I shook the hank out, my motion was to the rear and the banana shot behind me. That's misdirection I hadn't planned for, but every time I do VB now, when I shake the hank, my first move is to my rear!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
BJ Almond
View Profile
New user
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
7 Posts

Profile of BJ Almond
Ouch Sam! Have had similar experiences.

My main one as a comic was being booked for a large show - an aussie comedian called Rod Quantock was coming down and I was one of the support acts. I waited for the phone call/email to confirm...then saw the poster being put out and it had the booker's best friend (who hadn't done any stand up for about a year) on there instead of me.

So I rocked up, I'm a massive fan of Rod's comedy anyway, and the mystery guy who was booked out of nowhere called in sick. Schadenfruede! Smile

As a magician, I was doing C2Ceiling with a signed card and the deck went up...and the rubber band (which was old and frayed) split when it hit the roof. Cards went everywhere - and due to the explosion of cards, the MW didn't hold. So they ALL came down. I just stared at the person for a second, thinking "What the hell am I going to do??!?" So I started flipping over random cards, playing the incompetent magician angle. "This your card? No...this one? This one? It has to be this one!!" Until eventually I flipped over the card that landed literally right in front of them.

It was their card.

They thought I was the best card master in the entire world. I thought I was the luckiest SOB this side of a lotto winner.
BJ Almond
View Profile
New user
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
7 Posts

Profile of BJ Almond
Also: Why isn't somebody writing a book about this? Surely, of all the performing professions, magicians would have the craziest/strangest/funniest stories!
Big Sam
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
163 Posts

Profile of Big Sam
Celeste Evans has a book titled "Has This Ever Happened to You?" that is a collection of magician's stories. Fun stuff. I bought it from her at the Daytona Beach convention, so I'm not sure where you can get a copy.

Sam
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6859 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hey guys! Smile

There are more fantastic stories like this here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......=66&4126

Just a heads up!

Doug
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I worked on a Thimble Routine for months. The finale was a thimble appearing instantly on each finger and thumb on both hands. First time out I was nervous. At the end the L.H. went fine, but when I opened the R.H. I did it with a little tooooo much energy and weeeeeeee the four thimbles on my fingers went flying off stage.....sigh.... In retrospect it 'was' pretty funny.
Brad Burt
SmithMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of SmithMagicMan
Got a (fit) girl's number by showing her a card to mouth (Y)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Post Your Stories! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL